Drake OVO Fest Shooting
Drake OVO Fest Shooting
Getty Images

Two Dead, Three Critically Injured In OVO Fest Afterparty Shooting

One man and one woman were killed during the shooting that left three others critically injured.

In what authorities called a "sporadic shooting," one man and one woman were killed on Monday night (Aug. 3) at the Muzik nightclub in Toronto, Billboard reports.

According to Toronto Police Superintendent Frank Bergen, the shootout occurred just before 3:30 a.m. at the official OVO Fest afterparty. One victim died on the scene and the other succumbed to injuries after being taken to the hospital. Bergen described the club's event as "well-run" with a significant amount of police officers in and around the area. "We’re satisfied at this point that the organization involved was doing their best and this did occur at 3:30 this morning as things were shutting down for the evening,” he told the press who were present at the scene. Authorities are also not sure whether or not Drake and his OVO crew were present.

READ: Drake Performs In Front Of Meek Mill Memes During OVO Fest

The OVO event was hosted by Drizzy with Charlie B providing the DJ spin and was open to the public. Authorities also said that the situation began inside of the club and carried on into the streets outside of the nightclub.

“At this point we do know for certain that one or two [shootings] were in the nightclub and we believe the others  were outside of that area. This is all unfolding now and we’re doing our investigation.”

READ: Kanye West Performs “All Day” During OVO Fest And Basically Kills It

This incident falls eerily similar to that of another OVO event at the same nightclub last year, Bergen added. Because of the spread of the incident from the inside of the club to the outside, authorities are now investigating three different crime scenes. Authorities do believe that there are other victims who they have yet to speak to, and requesting that anyone with further information on the suspects contact the Homicide Crime Stoppers or 14 Division at (416)-808-1400.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Caroline McCredie

Rihanna Is Suing Her Father

Rihanna has had enough. Riri is reportedly suing her dad, Ronald Fenty, for using the Fenty brand to launch a talent agency and solicit money without her permission, TMZ reports.

According to court documents obtained by TMZ, the ANTI singer claims her father launched a talent development company in 2017 called Fenty Entertainment. The problem – Rih trademarked "Fenty" years ago so that she could use it for her blossoming businesses.

The lawsuit claims Ronald is profiting from the reputation that was already created with Fenty Beauty and her apparel lines. Additionally, the docs allege that her dad falsely advertised themselves as her reps to solicit millions from fans.

The entrepreneur claims that her dad made $15 million in false bookings for shows throughout Latin America and attempted to trademark "Fenty" to use with resort boutique hotels.

While it may seem extreme to file a lawsuit against her own bloodline, Rih reportedly sent multiple cease and desist letters to him before she was forced to take full legal action.

Rihanna is asking a judge to place an injunction on Ronald using the name Fenty and to compensate her for the damages.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

VA Basketball Referee Banned After Inspecting 10-Year-Old Girl's Braids

A white, basketball referee has been banned from officiating children's games in a Virginia City after he reportedly singled out and publicly inspected a 10-year-old black girl's braided hairstyle on Saturday (Jan. 12), WAVY-TV reports.

The young girl was reportedly wearing braids with blue extensions during the basketball game. Erica Guerrier, the mother of the young girl and coach of the team, said the referee mistakenly stated that hair weaves and braids are against the rules. Guerrier claimed the ref then made a "spectacle" out of her daughter during the game.

"At the end of the day, they're 9 and 10, so why does it even matter?" she told WAVY-TV.

Following the incident, Virginia High School League Executive Director Billy Haun said that the referee should not have raised concerns publicly.  Hampton Roads Basketball Association commissioner Rick Ennis announced that the ref is under investigation and is banned from officiating future games in the Chesapeake, VA area. In addition, Guerrier said that she would like the ref to apologize to her daughter for the embarrassment.

This isn't the first incident to occur at a sports event involving a black player's hair. A New Jersey high school referee received backlash after chopping off a black wrestler's dreadlocks in front of the entire school prior to his match. The ref was fired following public outrage.

Guerrier hopes her daughter's incident will be a lesson for other refs.  "I'm hoping that if the refs can get more education, more training, than we can see a decrease in these issues," she said.

Continue Reading
Frazzer Harrison

Quavo Invites Clemson Tigers To QC Headquarters After White House Debacle

The Internet has been dragging Donald Trump and the White House after they treated College Football National Champions, the Clemson Tigers to Burger King and McDonald's during their visit to the nation's capitol. In the midst of their failed visit, Quavo has extended an invitation to the football team to visit the Quality Control headquarters, and he's assured them that they will be treated to far more than fast food.

"I wanna show Clemson Tigers and POTUS how champs are supposed to be treated," Huncho tweeted on Tuesday (Jan. 15). "Ya'll welcome to come by th QC headquarters anytime. Dabbin' Dabo still #GODAWGS. The Stir Fry Way."

As previously reported, the Clemson University football team visited the White House after beating the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship on Jan. 7. It's customary for the championship team to visit Washington, where they are usually treated to a catered dinner by the White House kitchen staff. Only under Trump's administration, the team was given an assortment of burgers and fries.

Following the backlash on social media, Trump and his team blamed the Democratic Party. "Because the Democrats refuse to negotiate on border security, much of the residence staff at the White House is furloughed — so the president is personally paying for the event to be catered with some of everyone’s favorite fast foods,” Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.

After that lackluster meal, Clemson might want to take QC up on that offer. Check out Quavo's message to the Tigers on Twitter below.

I WANNA SHOW CLEMSON TIGERS AND POTUS HOW CHAMPS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TREATED YALL WELCOME TO COME BY THE QC HEADQUARTERS ANYTIME Dabbin DABO STILL #GODAWGS The Stir Fry Way!

— QuavoYRN (@QuavoStuntin) January 15, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories