Russell Simmons Speaks RushCard Disaster
Russell Simmons Speaks RushCard Disaster
Getty Images

Russell Simmons Calls RushCard Crash "One Of The Most Devastating Times In My Adult Life"

Russell Simmons speaks on the crash of his RushCard service that left a slew of customers without access to their money.

One month after a technological transition pegged to "upgrade and improve" RushCard's services prevented customers of the brand's debit and credit cards from accessing their money, Russell Simmons is speaking out about the glitch that caused a total system outage. In an interview with HipHopDX, Simmons detailed and apologized for the recent shutdown that took place after the 12-year-old financial service moved to a new transaction processing company.

"It was one of the most devastating times in my adult life. I know how hard people work to get money. I know how damaging it could be if people were not able to get to their money… I’m deeply sorry," he said. I don’t know what else to do about it but try to make good on it and try to make the people that were damaged whole. That’s all I can do.”

Simmons attempted to keep customers abreast of the company's efforts to restore access via several video updates, and the company did so by way of constant statements. But fallout was immediate and heavy, as RushCard users bombarded Simmons and RushCard's various social media accounts with stories of how the shutdown was affecting their abilities to survive.

RushCard holder Nicole Blackshear discussed the plights many experienced when the system crashed on Oct. 12.

"They keep lying on their Facebook page that the system is back up, and it's not," Blackshear told HipHopDX at the time. "People are being evicted, can't get to work because they can't get gas. People are needing milk and pampers for their children. People's utilities have been disconnected. There is so much pain and suffering and no explanation."

In the four weeks since, the Consumer's Union has stripped RushCard of its prized gold star for service and federal regulators are looking into the company as it stands at the center of a lawsuit filed by New York State. Simmons said that because most of RushCard's services, which include card-to-card transfer and direct deposit, are back to normal, his focus is moving forward and making amends with affected customers.

"Now I have the rebuilding process to restore trust with the community and paying back people who were damaged. I've announced were creating a multimillion dollar fund that will be used just for people who didn't get their money. We're putting a fund together that will make people whole. That's our job. That's one of the many things we have to do to regain trust," he finished.

Simmons will have his work cut out for him because just days ago, some users claimed they still have not received their funds.

Read the rest of Simmons' interview here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Safaree Says He's Over His Beef With Meek Mill: "He Ain't On No B.S"

Safaree is ready to leave the ill feelings in 2018. In a forthcoming episode of BET's Rants, Safaree dished about his previously beef with Meek Mill, insisting that he was way over the drama.

During the episode, Safaree addressed Meek's new attitude and maturity level. "As far as Meek—and I can see in Meek and everything he does now—he's way more mature than he was even a year ago," Safaree said. "From what he's been through, I can tell he ain't on no B.S. because when I hosted the BET Pre-Awards and all that, [Rick] Ross was there. Me and Ross, we spoke, we chopped it up and Meek was right there."

He also stated that he's moving on and focusing his energy elsewhere. "It was what it was. The s**t happened. Ain't nobody die. I'm over that."

As previously reported, Safaree and Meek's beef started in 2017, over what seemed to be the common denominator: Nicki Minaj. Meek started dating the rapper after her 10-year long romance with the Love & Hip Hop star.

Things escalated after Safaree accused Meek and his crew of jumping him during the 2017 BET Awards weekend in Los Angeles. Footage taken during the incident shows Safaree talking to some people at the same time that Meek hops out of his vehicle a couple of feet away. Soon after, someone is seen throwing a punch at Safaree. At the time, Safaree called Meek the "biggest pu**y on the planet, but he clearly has a change of heart now.

It's unclear if Meek and Safaree have officially made up, but this wouldn't be the first reconciliation that happened involving the CHAMPIONSHIPS artist. He previously made up with Drake in Sept. 2018.

Safaree's episode of Rants airs on BET on Dec. 11.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

'Selena: The Series' Is Headed To Netflix

It's been more than 20 years since Selena Quintanilla's senseless death, but the singer's fans and family have done their part to keep her memory and legacy alive. With the hope of introducing the Grammy-award winner to a new generation, Netflix has ordered a Selena series to live on the streaming platform.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Quintanilla family will produce what is being described as a coming of age story for the model, actress and fashion designer. It's unclear how many episodes will be in the series and if it'll be 30 minutes or an hour.

"Selena will always have a lasting place in music history and we feel great responsibility to do justice to her memory. With this series, viewers will finally get the full history of Selena, our family, and the impact she has had on all of our lives, Selena's sister Suzette Quintanilla said in a statement. "We are excited to partner with Campanario and Netflix to give fans a never-before-seen glimpse at our story and highlight why Selena will remain a legend for generations to come."

Selena began her musical career in the 1980s often performing at festivals in her hometown of Corpus Christi, Texas. She quickly rose to fame and earned a Grammy in 1994 for best Mexican/American album, becoming the first female Tejano singer to do so.

In 1995, Selena was shot and killed by Yolanda Saldivar who managed her fan club after it had been discovered she was embezzling money. Saldivar was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. The singer's life then made it to the big screen in 1997, with Jennifer Lopez starring in the principal role.

READ MORE: Her Living Legacy And What It Still Means Today

Continue Reading

Usher Releases "Peace Sign" Video Off Of 'A' Project

Given Monday's (Dec. 10) debate about who's the king of R&B, one of the names that steadily popped up in the conversation has stepped onto the scene. In a visual promotion for his A soundscape, Usher released the video for "Peace Sign" alongside producer Zaytoven.

Previously, the pair hit the studio for an eight-track project that pays respect to their hometown of Atlanta, Georgia. It was surprise-released in October and effortlessly fuses ATL's aura on the soundscape. Now, the "Peace Sign" video puts that decision into cinematic motion.

"Atlanta offers a certain attitude and a sauce that I can't explain, and it is a little bit in 'No Limit,' it is a little bit in 'TNT.' I'm literally talking sh*t, man," he said in an interview with The Fader. "I'm popping sh*t that I haven't popped, like really ever. And that's what being in the moment creates. When you have months and months to think about it and you begin to analyze all the people who you need to think of and what you want this entire project to work out, you'll lose certain elements of your spontaneity an incredible culture that just happens in the moment. I didn't give that space. I really was honest with the feelings, I was honest with the conversation and I was really in the moment. And I thank Zay for that."

Watch the video up top.

READ MORE: Tyrese, Usher And Others Reacts To Jacquees' Claim That He's The King Of R&B

Continue Reading

Top Stories