Chicago Police Superintendent McCarthy Fired
CHICAGO, IL - NOVEMBER 24: Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy speaks during a press conference he and Mayor Rahm Emanuel held to address the arrest of Chicago Police officer Jason Van Dyke on November 24, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. Van Dyke has been charged with first degree murder for shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times on October 20, 2014 after responding to a call of a knife wielding man who had threatened the complainant and was attempting to break into vehicles in a trucking yard. Emanuel and McCarthy announced they were releasing police video of the shooting during the press conference. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Amid Laquan McDonald Controversy, Chicago Police Superintendent Is Fired

Chicago will soon to have a new police superindentent.

The city of Chicago has gone under great turmoil lately with the recent protests and legal decisions that have been going on in light of Laquan McDonald’s death in the hands of Officer Jason Van Dyke. And now, things are shifting when it comes to leadership as well. Tuesday morning (Dec. 1), The Chicago Sun Times reported that Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy has been fired by Mayor Rahm Emmanuel.

According to different sources, the tensions that have spurred because of Laquan McDonald and Tyshawn Lee's (Lee's death was a cause of gang rivalry) deaths have become a lot to bear. Reportedly, at a morning news conference held to announce the appointment of a task force responsible for police accountability, Emmanuel stated that he and McCarthy had been meeting since Sunday to talk about the direction of the department. But by Tuesday McCarthy was asked to resign his position.

Emmanuel did say however, that while McCarthy’s record “is a strong one, and one he can be proud of,” Emanuel said, “now is a time for fresh eyes and new leadership." But he also went onto state that the trust in The Chicago Police Department has been “shaken and eroded,” which is something he hopes to change. “Our goal is to build the trust and confidence with the public. And at this point and at this juncture in the city, given what we are working on, he has become an issue rather than dealing with the issues,” Emmanuel continued.

Throughout the years, McCarthy has had a credibility problem stemming from the 2012 case of 22 year-old Rekia Boyd who was gunned down. Tons of speculation surfaced alluding that he felt pressures to fire Detective Dante Servin for the shooting. Though he still denies this: “Nonsense. Nonsense. . . . If you’ve been at the Police Board meetings, what I’ve been hearing is a demand to make the decision. Here’s a case where we’re doing what the community wants. I’m making the decision. And somebody is going to criticize it saying it’s political? Come on. It’s ridiculous,” McCarthy told reporters after a police graduation ceremony.

“Dante Servin made some incredibly poor decision making which ultimately resulted in a loss of life unnecessarily. He made a decision to get involved in something he shouldn’t have. He had a firearm he was not authorized to carry . . . When we make poor decisions, we have to be held accountable for it. That’s what this is all about. It’s about poor decision-making and the results obviously are tragic.” He continued.

Yet a week after Servin’s acquittal for involuntary man slaughter he said the detective should have never been indicted, because he “hit the individual who he was aiming at” and “also happened to hit” Boyd. Hopefully, with this new change justice will be on its way. Emmanuel said that the city’s handling of the case is being reviewed by the U.S. District Attorney’s office.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Spencer Weiner-Pool

South Carolina Baby Dies In Burning Car After Father Abandons Car In Police Chase

A South Carolina man has been charged with homicide by child abuse after police say he fled his vehicle that burst into flames killing his year old daughter.

Wearing an orange jumpsuit, Imhotep Osiris Norman reportedly broke down in tears during his bond hearing Saturday. (April 13)

According to law enforcement at about 10:20 PM Friday, a state trooper with the South Carolina Highway Patrol attempted to pull Norman over on Highway 14 near the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport.

Norman was doing 67 mph in a 45-mph zone.

When the car didn't stop. Seventh Circuit Solicitor Barry Barnette said Norman's vehicle began to spark and smoke during the pursuit.

As the car approached the 58-mile marker on Interstate 85, troopers say they saw a large bag be thrown from the window. A few minutes later, the car was totally engulfed in flames. The car reportedly slowed down and troopers attempted to block the road before Norman escaped.

After the fire extinguished investigators found Norman's 1-year-old daughter, Xena Rah’Lah Norman dead in the backseat.

In court, Norman alleges he didn't know the car was on fire.  “I would never leave my daughter,” Norman said. “I would have gotten my daughter out of that car.”

Norman's mother Sharon Mathesis said she doesn't believe the cops version of events. “My son loved his daughter and would have never let this happen,” Mathis said. “He loved her so much. He loved her so much.”

If convicted, Norman faces 20 years in prison.

Continue Reading
FLINT, MI - FEBRUARY 7: The Flint River with downtown behind is shown on February 7, 2016 in Flint, Michigan. Months ago the city told citizens they could use tap water if they boiled it first, but now say it must be filtered to remove lead. (Photo by Sarah Rice/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Flint Receives Remaining $77.7 Million Of Federal Funds To Improve Water Infrastructure

As the city of Flint, Mich. marks the five-year anniversary of the Flint Water Crisis, the city is set to receive $77.7 million in federal funding.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality announced the funding Monday (April 15),  as part of a $140 million loan to be allocated to Flint, East Lansing and Monroe County.  The funds for Flint are the remaining portion of a $120 million loan granted to the city in 2017, Mlive reports.

“While we are grateful for this funding it’s important to understand it's not new funding,” said Flint’s Director of Public Works Rob Bincsik. “The federal government awarded this funding and is utilizing the MDEQ’s Drinking Water Revolving Fund as the mechanism to disperse it to the City of Flint.”

Flint won’t have to pay back the funding as the loan is being offered at a “zero percent interest rate with 100-percent principal loan forgiveness.” The funds, which are aimed at improving infrastructure needs and ensuring long-term water quality,” will cover “the completion of a secondary water source pipeline,” in addition to improvements of reservoir and pump stations, construction of a chemical feed building, and replacement of water mains and meters.

East Lansing will receive a $51.7 million loan that includes $2.1 million in “principal forgiveness funds” for collection system improvements, a new pump station, and upgrades to the Water Resource Recovery Facility. Monroe County will get $10.2 million to upgrade and repair the Bedford Township Wastewater Treatment Plant. The funds will also support rehabbing lineal sewer pipes.

Continue Reading
Spartanburg County Detention Center via AP

Man Sentenced To 10 Years For Hiring Someone To Lynch His Black Neighbor

A white South Carolina man has been sentenced to 10 years inside a federal prison for hiring someone to lynch his black neighbor and place a burning cross on the lawn.

According to the New York Times, Brandon Cory Lecroy, 26 (pictured above) was arrested last year after the FBI received a tip about his plans. Lecroy reportedly contacted an unidentified white supremacist organization to assist with the murder-for-hire but instead was approached by an undercover FBI agent posing as a hitman.

The agent reportedly told Lecroy over the phone "$500 and he's a ghost." According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Lecroy made a down payment of $100 and was then taken into custody.

The South Carolina United States attorney's office said Lecroy received the maximum sentence on Friday (April 12) after pleading guilty, as well as three years supervision.

In March 2018, Lecroy went as far as texting an image of the intended targets to the FBI agent and offering the best possible times for the murder. His motive for the murder was to control his neighbor's property. Lecroy also suggested the agent use an  “a ghost gun,”  or an untraceable 9mm.

The names of the intended victim or the FBI agent have not been released.

Continue Reading

Top Stories