donald-trump-black-pastor-endorsement
Instagram

Donald Trump Receives Support From Some Black Pastors

After a private meeting in New York with church leaders, Donald Trump emerged with the backing of a few clergymen from across the nation.

Republican 2016 front runner Donald Trump held a meeting with about 100 black pastors in New York Monday, (November 30) and while he didn't receive a blanket endorsement from everyone, Trump appeared confident about those who did come forward in support.

ABC News reports, Trump's campaign initially promoted the meeting as an endorsement, sending out press material to outlets and concluded a press conference would be held afterward, but later canceled the conference and no media was allowed to attend.

“He’s best for not only for the country but certainly the black community,” Pastor Steve Parson, a Richmond-area minister in Virginia said. "We’re wanting to get off of welfare and we feel that can be done through the information the knowledge of a person like Donald Trump.”

Pastor Jamal Bryant of Baltimore's The Empowerment Temple Church vehemently disagreed with his fellow clergymen who backed the 69-year-old real estate tycoon.

"They are prostituting themselves and, in essence, the black church," Bryant said.

Bryant--who was invited to the meeting but declined the offer--questioned the intentions of some of the reverends.

"I really felt that their contingency was really selling out their vote for nothing," said Bryant, who briefly ran for Congress as a Democrat earlier this year before calling off the bid. "We've heard nothing from (Trump) about bridging the gap of economic inequality, mass incarceration, public schools, trade with Africa and other issues important to the black community."

After the meeting, which Trump described as a "beautiful thing" he also said the pastors who have endorsed him did not ask him to change his tone, which has been the source of much controversy throughout his campaign.

“I think they want to see victory because it is about we want to win and we want to win together,” he said after the meeting this afternoon.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Handout

Family Of Murdered Florida Woman Awarded $500 Million In Civil Suit

Eighteen years after the death of Kalil McCoy, her surviving family has been awarded $500 million in damages.

In 2001, McCoy, 20, was shot in the head by Frederick Lee Wade, 19, after an argument over opening a window inside a vehicle. According to reports, Wade and two other men in the car at the time discarded McCoy's body and concocted a story about what happened. Her body was found two days later.

Lynette Roebuck, McCoy's mother blamed Wade for her daughter's death. He was originally sentenced to life in prison, but after winning a retrial, is now serving a reduced 45-year-prison sentence.

"Wade will still have a little bit of life left. But this will always be over your head. If you get a dime, it is not going to be your dime. It will be Kalil's dime," Roebuck said.

"He still gets an opportunity to get out of prison and live. He could be 70 on a cane walking around to a park or movies. But my daughter can't do any of that. This will make a statement and let people know,"

The other men involved, Kennard Deshun Mahone and Jonathon Marichal Brooks, served one year in county jail with 12 years probation. They were also named in the civil suit.

Despite the ruling, it's unlikely all three men will pay the sum in total. Wade has constantly said McCoy's death was an accident, claiming the gun went off accidentally.

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Government Shutdown Prompts Hunger Strike Inside Manhattan Jail

As the country enters its 26th day since the partial government shutdown, some inmates inside a Manhattan detention center have decided to partake in a hunger strike after family visits were canceled for the second week due to a lack of staffing.

According to the New York Times, inmates at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, or M.C.C have denied their breakfast and lunch meals. The facility, which holds about 800, is one of the most important in the federal prison system and has housed few infamous names including Mexican drug leader El Chapo and terrorists.

Federal public defender Sarah Baumgartel said she learned of the hunger strike from a detainee she represents. Baumgartel declined to identify the inmate out of fear he'd be singled out. "They have already refused a meal — I believe they refused breakfast and lunch.”

Along with canceled family visits, the dispensing of medication to inmates in need has also been affected. The New York Times reports a prosecutor inside a federal court was "informed" that because of the shutdown, there are issues with prescribing medication.”

On Monday (Jan. 16) Bureau of Prisons lawyer Adam Johnson emailed  defense lawyers stating “due to staff shortages,” attorneys would not be able to speak with their clients at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center. "We regret the inconvenience and will notify you immediately once visiting resumes.”

The partial government shutdown is a stand off between Donald Trump's demands for funding to construct a wall along the U.S- Mexican border and a newly elected Democratic Congress refusing to acquiesce.

Since then, more than 800,000 employees have gone without pay.

 

 

Continue Reading
Justin Sullivan

Man Leaves Marijuana In An Uber And Tries To Retrieve It From Cops

A 21-year-old Pennsylvania man is in police custody after attempting to retrieve two pounds of marijuana from a state trooper he believed was his Uber driver.

According to reports, the driver received an email Dec. 29 from Uber about the previous rider Malik Mollett, who left something in the backseat of the vehicle. In the email was Mollett's phone number.

On Jan. 9, a state trooper posed as an Uber driver and called Mollett. Police said Mollett answered the phone, explained he left something in the Uber. The trooper and Mollett then agreed to meet, Mollett said the bag he left was black, the trooper texted Mollett a picture of the black bag and he confirmed that it was indeed his.

TWO pounds of marijuana left behind in an Uber — police say Malik Mollett thought he was meeting up with the driver to get it back, but it was actually state troopers. I’ll have more on this story tonight on #WPXI pic.twitter.com/ZJGP7kU29Z

— Melanie Marsalko (@WPXIMelanie) January 11, 2019

The trooper than coordinated a time to meet with Mollett at a local McDonald's. It was there, the trooper gave Mollett the bag. Another trooper reportedly then entered the McDonalds and took Mollett into police custody.

Continue Reading

Top Stories