kanye west
Twitter

Watch A Sneak Peek Of Kanye West's Audition On 'American Idol'

Did Ye get the golden ticket to Hollywood?

Earlier this year, a video surfaced of Kanye West auditioning for FOX's American Idol. There were many questions viewers asked themselves, but one in particular left them in limbo -- did Ye get the golden ticket to Hollywood?

With a new video posted on Twitter by his wife, Kim Kardashian West, we gained a little bit of insight as to how the Chi-town native ended up before the show's three judges. "I always wanted to rap and no one really believed in me, so I wanted to try some things out," he said to Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr.

After J. Lo asks the "Heard Em' Say" rapper what he's planning to perform, the preview cuts off, but judging from a previous clip that hit the 'Net not too long ago, it seems as if Yeezy did a rendition of his 2005 track "Gold Digger."

Check out the preview below ahead of the singing competition's air date on Jan. 6.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kristian Dowling

Soulja Boy Claims He Had Migos' "Versace" Beat Before Them

Soulja Boy stopped by The Breakfast Club on Wednesday (Jan. 16), where he set the record straight about his place in hip-hop history. According to Soulja, he doesn't get enough credit for being the Godfather of hip-hop and putting artists like Migos and Drake on.

During the interview, Soulja revealed that he actually had the beat to the Migos' breakout hit "Versace" before they did. "The Migos, that beat, ‘Versace,’ that was my beat. Zaytoven gave us the same beat," he stated. "That’s how me and Migos met.

He claimed that he used that beat for his song "Teach Me How to Swag Part II," which is reportedly on YouTube. "I called them n***as and I was like, 'yo n***a that’s my beat. What’s up with y’all n***as.'" he continued. "Oh my bad bruh, you know how Zaytoven do. He send every rapper in the game the same beat.' 'And I was like okay, you know what? We got to make some music together. We got cool off that. That was 2012, n***a. I knew the Migos before Drake did."

Charlamagne followed Soulja Boy's revelation by suggesting the rapper was the "Godfather of hip-hop," to which Soulja agreed. "On God I am. That's facts," he insisted.

Soulja Boy's latest comments come after the rapper shaded the industry for not giving him credit for influencing the game. During The Breakfast Club interview, the rapper also explained why he had the biggest comeback of 2018.

Check out a clip from his radio interview below.

 

Soulja Boy Just Wants His Credit pic.twitter.com/y3UmtvP6ym

— 2Cool2Blog (@2Cool2Blogggg) January 16, 2019

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Government Shutdown Prompts Hunger Strike Inside Manhattan Jail

As the country enters its 26th day since the partial government shutdown, some inmates inside a Manhattan detention center have decided to partake in a hunger strike after family visits were canceled for the second week due to a lack of staffing.

According to the New York Times, inmates at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, or M.C.C have denied their breakfast and lunch meals. The facility, which holds about 800, is one of the most important in the federal prison system and has housed few infamous names including Mexican drug leader El Chapo and terrorists.

Federal public defender Sarah Baumgartel said she learned of the hunger strike from a detainee she represents. Baumgartel declined to identify the inmate out of fear he'd be singled out. "They have already refused a meal — I believe they refused breakfast and lunch.”

Along with canceled family visits, the dispensing of medication to inmates in need has also been affected. The New York Times reports a prosecutor inside a federal court was "informed" that because of the shutdown, there are issues with prescribing medication.”

On Monday (Jan. 16) Bureau of Prisons lawyer Adam Johnson emailed  defense lawyers stating “due to staff shortages,” attorneys would not be able to speak with their clients at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center. "We regret the inconvenience and will notify you immediately once visiting resumes.”

The partial government shutdown is a stand off between Donald Trump's demands for funding to construct a wall along the U.S- Mexican border and a newly elected Democratic Congress refusing to acquiesce.

Since then, more than 800,000 employees have gone without pay.

 

 

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Report: Travis Scott Spoke With Colin Kaepernick Ahead Of Super Bowl

Travis Scott landed in the center of controversy after he announced that he would be performing during the Super Bowl halftime show in Feb. 2019. The outrage mostly stemmed from the split views regarding the NFL and its treatment of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who had been blackballed from the league for silently protesting social injustice during the national anthem. Despite fan opinions however, a new report claims Trav consulted with Kaep before the big performance, and their chat went rather well, according to Variety.

According to the new report, Travis and Kaepernick had at least one phone conversation earlier this year. While it's unclear what the two spoke about, a source close to Trav admitted that the two did not agree on everything that was talked about, but emerged from the discussion with "mutual respect and understanding."

As previously reported, Scott recently announced that he only agreed to perform during the halftime show as long as the NFL donated to Van Jones' social justice organization, Dream Corps. "I back anyone who takes a stand for what they believe in," he said in his announcement. "I know being an artist that it’s in my power to inspire. So before confirming the Super Bowl Halftime performance, I made sure to partner with the NFL on this important donation. I am proud to support Dream Corps and the work they do that will hopefully inspire and promote change."

According to the insider, Travis reiterated to Kaepernick that he would only confirm his performance after the donation was secured.

The two may have reached an understanding, but fans are still trying to persuade the rapper to make a statement during the halftime stage. A Change.org petition has been launched, requesting that Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi take a knee during their performances. It has already garnered more than 85,000 signatures. "It appears these artists aren’t backing out at this point. So now what?,” the petition description reads. "There’s one way they can still redeem their reputation with their fans. Maroon 5, Travis Scott and Big Boi: take a knee during your set."

The Super Bowl will kick off on Feb. 3.

Continue Reading

Top Stories