Wu-Tang Million Dollar Album Buyer
Wu-Tang Million Dollar Album Buyer
YouTube/Getty Images

The Million Dollar Wu-Tang Album Was Sold To The Man Who Raised AIDS Pill Prices To $750

The man who came under fire for switching the price tag on an AIDS drug from $13.50 a pill to $750 a pill is now the proud owner of Wu-Tang's million-dollar album.

The owner of Wu-Tang’s million-dollar, one-of-a-kind Once Upon A Time In Shaolin album is the pharmaceutical CEO who raised the price of an AIDS drug by 5,000 percent. Martin Shkreli – the 32-year-old businessman who came under fire for switching the price tag on the drug Daraprim from $13.50 a pill to $750 a pill – was revealed to have purchased the album by a new report from Bloomberg Business.

Wu-Tang’s limited edition album includes 31 tracks, a leather-bound 174 page books of lyrics, and came in a hand-carved box. Shkreli, who was a fan of rock until he grew a an appreciation for rhymes through Shakespeare (insert eye roll), discussed the controversy surrounding his business. Remarking that he has done what he was “hired to do,” the article states that he “seems mildly amused by the controversy.”

“What’s escaped the conversation is, hey, how about the fact that this is actually what I’ve been hired to do,” Shkreli said. “It’s like someone criticizing a basketball player for scoring too many points.”

Shkreli admitted that Wu-Tang was hesitant about disclosing that he was the buyer of Once Upon A Time In Shaolin after the news hit of his drug price increase. Once the group received word that the news would go public, RZA released the following statement: “The sale of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin was agreed upon in May, well before Martin Skhreli’s [sic] business practices came to light. We decided to give a significant portion of the proceeds to charity.”

“I was a little worried that they were going to walk out of the deal,” Skhreli said. “But by then we’d closed. The whole kind of thing since then has been just kind of ‘Well, do we want to announce it’s him? Do we not want to announce it’s him?’ I think they were trying to cover their butts a little bit.”

As a message to disgruntled fans, Skhreli has but one thing to say: “At the end of the day, they didn’t buy the last album or the one before that, and all they had to pay was $10.” He also planning to have other artists make “private albums” for him.

“Typically you would say, ‘As an average fan, I can’t get Fetty Wap to give me a personal concert,’?” he said. “The reality is, sure you could. You know, at the right price these guys basically will do anything.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Prince Williams

Kareem "Biggs" Burke Launches New Music Company, Signs First Artist

After nearly a 15-year hiatus from the music industry, Kareem "Biggs" Burke is back with a new music company called Circle of Success. To kick the newly-launched business off right, Burke has already announced his first signee, Brooklyn-based artist, SAINt JHN.

Circle of Success is a management company that oversees musicians. In an interview with Billboard on Feb. 19, Biggs discussed his new venture and artist.  "The night [Roc Nation co-founder Tyran Smith], played a preview of SAINt JHN's new album, I drove home listening to Collection One and had an immediate sonic connection to his music," Burke said.

The Roc-A-Fella cofounder also addressed his new company on Instagram, noting that it was his first time backing an artist since Kanye West nearly 20 years ago. "The last 2 projects I’ve done was College Dropout and Late Registration," he wrote. "After such a long time away I’ve decided to jump back in with someone who I believe will be equally as impactful and change the game and be a HUGE brand with the music being the core of the business. @saintjhn made the decision easy for me because it’s very rare you come across talent like his. I’m BACK!!!!"

SAINt JHN is a singer-songwriter and rapper. He has previously written songs for Usher, Jidenna, and others. He also released his first album under his current moniker in Mar. 2018, entitled Collection One.

Be on the look out for what's to come from Biggs' Circle of Success company and SAINt JHN.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

The last 2 projects I’ve done was College Dropout and Late registration. After such a long time away I’ve decided to jump back in with someone who I believe will be equally as impactful and change the game and be a HUGE brand with the music being the core of the business. @saintjhn made the decision easy for me because it’s very rare you come across talent like his. I’m BACK!!!! #circleofsuccess #management Full story in my bio...

A post shared by Biggs (@biggsburke) on Feb 19, 2019 at 10:10am PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Daniel Kaluuya And Lakeith Stanfield To Star In Fred Hampton Movie

Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield are reportedly being considered for roles in the upcoming film, Jesus Was My Homeboy, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The movie, which will be produced by Ryan Coogler and distributed by Warner Bros., will depict the assassination of Black Panther activist Fred Hampton.

If the ink dries on the deal, Kaluuya will play Hampton. Stanfield will play William O’Neal, the FBI informant who went undercover and infiltrated the Black Panthers in order to obtain information that assisted in Hampton's assassination. Jesus Was My Homeboy will look at the rise and death of Hampton through the perspective of FBI informant O'Neal.

As previously noted, Fred Hampton was an activist and organizer of the Black Panther Party who quickly climbed the ranks to become its chairman of the Illinois chapter and deputy chairman. He was murdered in 1969 at the age of 21, by a tactical unit with orders from the FBI and Chicago Police Department.

Shaka King will reportedly direct the film and and produce from a script he wrote with Will Berson. Jesus Was My Homeboy does not have a release date at this time.

Continue Reading
Mike Powell /Allsport

HBO Releases 'Leaving Neverland' Trailer And March Premiere Date

Since the reveal of a contentious documentary on Michael Jackson was announced, the conversation surrounding HBO's upcoming project has continued to increase. Now, the powerhouse cable network unveiled the Leaving Neverland trailer which depicts the recollections of two men who were reportedly sexually abused when they were boys by Jackson.

Within the trailer, James Safechuck and Wade Robson discuss certain moments that they held as secrets for decades. "He told me if they ever found out what we were doing, he and I would go to jail for the rest of our lives," Wade says in the visual. The Dan Reed-directed film also features interviews with the two men's families and significant others.

In response to the doc's Sundance premiere, Jackson's family issued a statement calling out the reel's developers. "The creators of this film were not interested in the truth," the family's statement reads. "They never interviewed a single solitary soul who knew Michael except the two perjurers and their families. That is not journalism, and it's not fair, yet the media are perpetuating these stories."

Watch the trailer below ahead of its two-night premiere on March 3-4.

Continue Reading

Top Stories