eric-garner-settlement-373x560-373x560 eric-garner-settlement-373x560-373x560
Getty

Eric Garner's Family Is Receiving $1 Million In A Settlement From Staten Island Hospital

Richmond University Medical Center is paying Eric Garner's family a hefty settlement for his death.  

Richmond University Medical Center—the hospital that dispatched paramedics and treated Eric Garner as he died  by being put in a chokehold by New York City Police Officer, Daniel Pantaleo—is paying Garner’s family $1 million dollars, according to court documents obtained on Tuesday (Feb 23) by The Associated Press.

Initially, the settlement with the hospital was confidential, and was not part of the $5.9 million agreement that was announced by the city on July. Though the figure was disclosed in court documents filed by the Surrogate’s Court in Staten Island.

The settlement is the maximum amount allowed under the hospitals’ liability insurance policy, according to court documents. When asked for comment, the hospital center remained mum, according to Spokesman, William Smith. Garner’s lawyer also did not respond.

Garner’s death on July 17, 2014 caused a national stir, as the whole event was caught in a video that surfaced online of him yelling out “I can’t breathe” after Officer Pantaleo put a chokehold around his neck as other officers wrestled him down. Reportedly, the paramedics arrived on the scene after the officers called 911. The workers checked his pulse, and made sure he was breathing before they placed him on the stretcher.

According to court documents however, “The E.M.T.s did not conduct the appropriate examination” of Garner on the scene, and “failed to provide him with the necessary lifesaving procedures.”

Also, hospital records filed in the court documents indicate that Garner went into cardiac arrest on the stretcher; the paramedics tried to resuscitate him in the ambulance. Later, once in the hospital doctors performed CPR, but by 4:15 pm he had no pulse, and was pronounced dead at 4:34 p.m.

No criminal charges have been filed in the killing of Garner, though two emergency room technicians and two paramedics were suspended without pay from the hospital. Since then, they have returned to jobs, which do not involve patient care.

The city medical examiner concluded that the main cause of Garner’s death was caused by the chokehold he was placed on , and restraint from the police, along with heart disease, obesity and acute asthma. He was 6’2 and weighed 395 pounds.

While Garner’s death is unfortunate, at least the family is getting some form of compensation.

From the Web

More on Vibe

NYPD

Justice For Junior: Testifying Witness Says Hit Has Been Placed On His Life

Kevin Alvarez, one of several Trinitarios gang members responsible for the barbarous June 2018 murder of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz, was indicted on murder charges.

However, after striking a deal with the prosecution, which involves flipping on his co-conspirators, Alvarez pled guilty to manslaughter and conspiracy and faces 25 years in prison. According to the 20-year-old, a death sentence has been placed on him for "doing something bad" like snitching to cops.

“They go out and look for you in groups until they find you and kill you,” he said. Alvarez said for "doing something bad

In a packed courtroom, Monday (May 21) he nervously identified the five others responsible for the vicious stabbing death of the Bronx teen. Alvarez said he drove one of the four cars to chase Junior and revealed the 15-year-old tried to run into nearby St. Barnabas Hospital for help, but blocked him, which is why Junior then ran into a bodega.

Alvarez said he assumed Junior was in another gang and involved in a rival shooting.

He then explained that he was the one who pushed the bodega door open, helped to drag Junior out and repeatedly punched and kicked Junior in the head while he was down. Junior tried to tell him he wasn't the person they were looking for, but Alvarez and co. didn't listen.

Video of Junior’s murder played again in court in slow motion. Junior’s mom with their heads between her knees, cried quietly throughout. #JusticeForJunior pic.twitter.com/APqZ2k8Odh

— CeFaan Kim (@CeFaanKim) May 21, 2019

The prosecution then played the heartwrenching footage from the bodega. Reportedly, Junior's mother turned away and kept her head between her knees crying.

If all members of the Trinitarios gang are convicted, they face life in prison.

Continue Reading
News Channel 8

Florida Teacher Arrested For Carrying Knives And Loaded Guns In Classrooms

A fourth-grade teacher at Starkey Elementary School was arrested Monday (May 20) after authorities found knives, a 9mn Glock with seven rounds of ammunition and other weapons.

According to reports, the 49-year-old had the weapons, including a six-inch fighting knife and a two-inch finger knife, in classrooms with students.

Reportedly, Starkey Elementary School principal saw Betty Soto behaving suspiciously as she carried the backpack with her wherever she went.

Law enforcement arrived on campus after being notified by the principal. They interviewed Soto and found the weapons. The teacher reportedly was let out on bond at 9 PM Monday night and when asked by reporters why she brought the weapons to school she attributed it to Gov. Ron DeSantis.

"Ask Desantis," she answered. "Ask your governor."

In early May, the Republican governor signed a bill that will allow teachers to carry guns inside a classroom. The measure was a reported response to the Parkland High School shooting.

Soto's Facebook page will be investigated as part of the overall investigation due to a post that was shared. "Are you surprised I'm a revolutionary? You should have seen it coming. Hate that I was on my way to the plantation, but I had to free some minds."

Erica Kennedy, a mother of two at Starkey Elementary, described Soto's behavior as "militant" and "suspicious."

"She seemed very abrupt, the way she was speaking. I almost felt like she was talking to these kids like she was their parent, you know, just really, a little overboard. So, it made me kind of, something kind of went up in the back of my hair like, hmmm," Kennedy explained.

Soto reportedly will not be returning to Starkey Elementary School.

Continue Reading
Tom Lynn

Milwaukee County Declares Racism A Public Health Crisis

Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele signed a resolution Monday (May 20) stating how racism is a public health crisis and that the county plans to take action.

"Everybody has been reading and hearing about the same set of statistics in Milwaukee for decades," Abele said. "We lead in an unfortunate way the racial disparities in employment, in education, incarceration, income and even things like ... access to capital."

The resolution hopes to take actionable steps to level the playing field in Milwaukee, a playing field that finds minorities disproportionately affected.

Nicole Brookshire, the Milwaukee County Office on African American Affairs Director, was with Abele at the signing and spoke on the potential power of the resolution.

"We need to address racism as a public health crisis but on a large scale to make sure that we transform our culture, transform how we serve our residents and we drive solutions that are equitable," she said.

The resolution hopes to assess internal policies and procedures to make sure racial equity is a core element of the county, work to create an inclusive organization and identify specific activities to increase diversity and encourage other local, state and national entities to recognize racism as a public health crisis.

Continue Reading

Top Stories