Maya Angelou Forever Stamp Dedication
WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 07: Melissa Harris-Perry, master of ceremonies, speaks at the Maya Angelou Forever Stamp Dedicationat at the Warner Theatre on April 7, 2015 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Melissa Harris-Perry "Unlikely" To Return To Show After Conflicts With MSNBC

Harris-Perry doesn't want to be a "token, mammy or little brown bobble head" to MSNBC. 

More details have come to light following Melissa Harris-Perry's decision to distance herself from her TV show and MSNBC executives.

News of Harris-Perry's decision not to host her eponymous show Melissa Harris-Perry came Friday (Feb. 26) after she wrote an email to employees this week about her showing being "silenced" by NBC News executives.The email was published with her approval to Medium  Friday. NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack and MSNBC President Phil Griffin are currently working to restructure the network.

Harris said the show was deemed "worthless" by Lack and Griffin.

"Here is the reality: our show was taken — without comment or discussion or notice — in the midst of an election season," she wrote. "After four years of building an audience, developing a brand, and developing trust with our viewers, we were effectively and utterly silenced. Now, MSNBC would like me to appear for four inconsequential hours to read news that they deem relevant without returning to our team any of the editorial control and authority that makes MHP Show distinctive."

Known for her approach on social injustice with conversations about race and diversity, Harris-Perry's show seemed to be going in a different direction-- politics. CNN Money has reported the last time Harris-Perry hosted her show, she butted with executives over her coverage of Beyonce's surprise single "Formation." While executives wanted her to discuss the current 2016 election, Harris-Perry wanted to discuss the politically charged music video that highlighted Hurricane Katrina, Black pride and the Black Lives Matter movement. 

"Her executive producer had to fight for it," a source said. Since then, she hasn't hosted, leaving a space for more election coverage on Saturdays and Sundays for her 10 a.m. to noon Eastern slot.

While Harris-Perry hasn't confirmed if her show has been canceled, she did hint that executives don't believe she has the experience to cover politics. "I have stayed in the same hotels where MSNBC has been broadcasting in Iowa, in New Hampshire, and in South Carolina, yet I have been shut out from coverage," she wrote. "I have hosted a weekly program on this network for four years and contributed to election coverage on this network for nearly eight years, but no one on the third floor has even returned an email, called me, or initiated or responded to any communication of any kind from me for nearly a month." She continued, "It is profoundly hurtful to realize that I work for people who find my considerable expertise and editorial judgment valueless to the coverage they are creating."

Harris-Perry's contract with the network ends in October. Sources have reportedly claimed it is highly unlikely she will return.

The talk show host used her weekend to team up with Wake The Vote, a program that helps students from Wake Forest Universty to develop their own ideas about their favorite presidential candidate.

Only time will tell what Harris-Perry or MSNBC will do to save or perhaps, scrap the show.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kristian Dowling

Soulja Boy Claims He Had Migos' "Versace" Beat Before Them

Soulja Boy stopped by The Breakfast Club on Wednesday (Jan. 16), where he set the record straight about his place in hip-hop history. According to Soulja, he doesn't get enough credit for being the Godfather of hip-hop and putting artists like Migos and Drake on.

During the interview, Soulja revealed that he actually had the beat to the Migos' breakout hit "Versace" before they did. "The Migos, that beat, ‘Versace,’ that was my beat. Zaytoven gave us the same beat," he stated. "That’s how me and Migos met.

He claimed that he used that beat for his song "Teach Me How to Swag Part II," which is reportedly on YouTube. "I called them n***as and I was like, 'yo n***a that’s my beat. What’s up with y’all n***as.'" he continued. "Oh my bad bruh, you know how Zaytoven do. He send every rapper in the game the same beat.' 'And I was like okay, you know what? We got to make some music together. We got cool off that. That was 2012, n***a. I knew the Migos before Drake did."

Charlamagne followed Soulja Boy's revelation by suggesting the rapper was the "Godfather of hip-hop," to which Soulja agreed. "On God I am. That's facts," he insisted.

Soulja Boy's latest comments come after the rapper shaded the industry for not giving him credit for influencing the game. During The Breakfast Club interview, the rapper also explained why he had the biggest comeback of 2018.

Check out a clip from his radio interview below.

 

Soulja Boy Just Wants His Credit pic.twitter.com/y3UmtvP6ym

— 2Cool2Blog (@2Cool2Blogggg) January 16, 2019

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Government Shutdown Prompts Hunger Strike Inside Manhattan Jail

As the country enters its 26th day since the partial government shutdown, some inmates inside a Manhattan detention center have decided to partake in a hunger strike after family visits were canceled for the second week due to a lack of staffing.

According to the New York Times, inmates at the Metropolitan Correctional Center, or M.C.C have denied their breakfast and lunch meals. The facility, which holds about 800, is one of the most important in the federal prison system and has housed few infamous names including Mexican drug leader El Chapo and terrorists.

Federal public defender Sarah Baumgartel said she learned of the hunger strike from a detainee she represents. Baumgartel declined to identify the inmate out of fear he'd be singled out. "They have already refused a meal — I believe they refused breakfast and lunch.”

Along with canceled family visits, the dispensing of medication to inmates in need has also been affected. The New York Times reports a prosecutor inside a federal court was "informed" that because of the shutdown, there are issues with prescribing medication.”

On Monday (Jan. 16) Bureau of Prisons lawyer Adam Johnson emailed  defense lawyers stating “due to staff shortages,” attorneys would not be able to speak with their clients at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center. "We regret the inconvenience and will notify you immediately once visiting resumes.”

The partial government shutdown is a stand off between Donald Trump's demands for funding to construct a wall along the U.S- Mexican border and a newly elected Democratic Congress refusing to acquiesce.

Since then, more than 800,000 employees have gone without pay.

 

 

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Report: Travis Scott Spoke With Colin Kaepernick Ahead Of Super Bowl

Travis Scott landed in the center of controversy after he announced that he would be performing during the Super Bowl halftime show in Feb. 2019. The outrage mostly stemmed from the split views regarding the NFL and its treatment of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who had been blackballed from the league for silently protesting social injustice during the national anthem. Despite fan opinions however, a new report claims Trav consulted with Kaep before the big performance, and their chat went rather well, according to Variety.

According to the new report, Travis and Kaepernick had at least one phone conversation earlier this year. While it's unclear what the two spoke about, a source close to Trav admitted that the two did not agree on everything that was talked about, but emerged from the discussion with "mutual respect and understanding."

As previously reported, Scott recently announced that he only agreed to perform during the halftime show as long as the NFL donated to Van Jones' social justice organization, Dream Corps. "I back anyone who takes a stand for what they believe in," he said in his announcement. "I know being an artist that it’s in my power to inspire. So before confirming the Super Bowl Halftime performance, I made sure to partner with the NFL on this important donation. I am proud to support Dream Corps and the work they do that will hopefully inspire and promote change."

According to the insider, Travis reiterated to Kaepernick that he would only confirm his performance after the donation was secured.

The two may have reached an understanding, but fans are still trying to persuade the rapper to make a statement during the halftime stage. A Change.org petition has been launched, requesting that Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi take a knee during their performances. It has already garnered more than 85,000 signatures. "It appears these artists aren’t backing out at this point. So now what?,” the petition description reads. "There’s one way they can still redeem their reputation with their fans. Maroon 5, Travis Scott and Big Boi: take a knee during your set."

The Super Bowl will kick off on Feb. 3.

Continue Reading

Top Stories