melissa-harris-perry-attack

MSNBC'S Melissa Harris Perry Is Threatened In Iowa By A Man Hurling Racial Slurs

Melissa Harris Perry found her self in a troubling situation while in Iowa with her students from Wake Forest University. 

Popular MSNBC show host Melissa Harris Perry recently faced a threatening encounter with an individual in Iowa this week. Harris-Perry took a group of her students from Wake Forest University to observe the Democratic caucuses; the trip was a part of the Wake the Vote program. The program is only for a selected group of students, and is designed in efforts to offer “an intensive civic learning and democratic engagement experience.”

Harris Perry teaches politics and international affairs. She wrote a blog post on the Wake Forest site describing the altercation, which involved the man briefly mumbling something about Nazi Germany and took place in a hotel lobby of Downtown, Des Moines. She says the man started questioning how she ended up on TV, while getting very close to her. Here’s part of what happened according to her:

 

“What I want to know is how you got credentialed to be on MSNBC.”

I am not sure if it is how he spat the word credentialed, or if it is how he took another half step toward me, or if it is how he didn’t respond to my question, but the hairs on my arm stood on end. I ignored it. Told myself everything was ok.

“Well. It is not exactly a credential…” I began.

“But why you? Why would they pick you?”

Now I know something is wrong. Now his voice is angry. Now a few other people have stopped talking and started staring. Now he is so close I can feel his breath. Before I can answer his unanswerable question of why they picked me, he begins to tell me why he has picked me.

 

Harris Perry, who is a survival of rape and has previously written about her experience, also said she felt like she was getting flash backs of that experience while this recent encounter was happening.

“I just want you to know why I am doing this.”

Oh – there is a this. He is going to do a this. To me. And he is going to tell me why.

I freeze. Not even me – the girl in me. The one who was held down by an adult neighbor and as he raped her. The one who listened as he explained why he was doing this. She freezes.

At that point, she writes the man began getting closer to her muttering a while bunch of things she couldn’t understand. She only heard “Nazi Gernany” and “rise to power.”

She then noticed her students were nearby, and were not going to let her succumb to this attacker without a fight.

“Instead of sitting still as he tells me what he is going to do and why, I jump up. I move. I put space – a table – between him and me. My friend jumps too. It is breathtaking how fearlessly – almost recklessly – she throws herself between he and I,” she writes. “Together we raise our voices and make a fuss. He turns. He runs out. He jumps in a car. He drives off. We try to explain to hotel security what has happened and how I receive hate mail and even death threats, how I have had people show up at my workplace, how this might be serious. They listen politely, but this is the Iowa caucus, and I am not a candidate, so they go back to their evening. And we go back to ours.”

Amid all the chaos, Harris Perry worried that her students were not going to complete the whole Wake the Vote program. “It was the fear of a ruined lesson plan that propelled me out of my seat and away from the potential attacker,” she concluded.

Thankfully, Melissa was not hurt. She later took to Twitter to thank the masses for their concern and to reiterate that she is ok.

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

Blac Chyna attends the BET Hip Hop Awards 2017 at The Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater on October 6, 2017 in Miami Beach, Florida
Photo by Bennett Raglin/Getty Images for BET

Blac Chyna Named As Suspect In Assault Against Hair Stylist

Well, this isn't the best way to celebrate your birthday.

Blac Chyna has reportedly got in trouble with the law again after a confrontation with her hair stylist. TMZ reports the Chyna and the employee who hasn't been unidentified, were at Chyna's home in San Fernando Valley, Calif. when they got into an argument over payment.

The police report alleges after the hair stylist attempted to collect her check from Chyna, the 31-year-old pulled out a knife. The hair dressed left and reportedly threw soda cans at Chyna's car. A source shared with the outlet that Chyna didn't have a weapon on her person but there were cans thrown at her car.

Because Chyna's six-year-old son King was present, there's a chance the L.A. County Dept. of Children and Family Services will get involved for a possible welfare check.

Chyna hasn't addressed the incident but will more than likely still have a nice birthday.

Continue Reading
Actor/rapper Curtis Jackson aka 50 Cent attends the Cinema Society & 2(x)ist screening of "Twelve" at Landmark's Sunshine Cinema on July 28, 2010 in New York City
Photo by Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images

ABC Orders 50 Cent Produced Series 'For Life' For 2019-2020 Season

50 Cent's multitasking skills continue to work in his favor as ABC has officially added the hour-long drama For Life to their 2019-2020 season.

Deadline reports the series is produced by Mr. Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson and Hank Steinberg. Based on the life of Isaac Wright, Jr., the legal drama will follow his journey from wrongly incarcerated prisoner to a lawyer as he litigates cases for other inmates while attempting to overturn his life sentence.

The series rests under 50 Cent's G-Unit production umbrella and Sony Pictures TV. For Life appears to be a favorite for ABC–the order was negotiated for three extra days in hopes to provide better resources for their independent studio.

The rapper-actor has picked a perfect producer in Steinberg. He is the creator of the critically acclaimed drama Without A Trace that ran for seven seasons on CBS. He's also the co-creator and showrunner on TNT’s The Last Ship which ran for five seasons.

For Life will also star Nicholas Pinnock (Captian America), Indira Varma (Game of Thrones), Joy Bryant (Parenthood), Glenn Fleshler (Billions), Dorian Missick (Luke Cage), Tyla Harris (Claws), Mary Stuart Masterson (Blindspot) and Boris McGiver (House of Cards).

While 50's deal with ABC will take him to the world of The Big Four, he also has his three-year deal with cable giant Starz. Power will come to an end this year, but the businessman has four other series on the way, including Black Mafia Family, Vanguard and Intercepted, a series he will co-produce with LaLa Anthony. Intercepted is based on the novel by Alexa Martin.

Continue Reading
Ryan Destiny, Brittany O'Grady and Jude Demorest pose in the press room during the Teen Choice Awards 2017 at Galen Center on August 13, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.
Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Fans Of 'Star' Make Plea To Netflix To Pick Up Series After Fox Cancellation

Fans aren't giving up on Star just yet. After it was announced that the hit series wouldn't come back for a third season on FOX, fans have rallied on social media to save the musical drama.

Created by Lee Daniels, the series centered around three young women and their very complicated path in the music industry.  The drama starred Queen Latifah, Quincy Taylor Brown and Amyiah Scott and would later make household names out of leads Ryan Destiny, Jude Demorest, Brittany O'Grady. The Hollywood Reporter noted that a possible reason for the cancellation might have been logistics as the series had "fairly stable" ratings and was produced outside of the FOX studios.

But the series carried a huge following on social media, with fans creating the #SaveStar campaign over the weekend. In pleas to Netflix and Hulu, fans of the series have suggested the streaming platforms pick up the show. They also have questioned Daniels' other series Empire and its season six renewal despite a dip in ratings and the Jussie Smollett scandal.

https://twitter.com/BrittMarie_143/status/1127089295595065344

#SaveStar SOMEBODY PICK STAR UPPPP BRO THIS IS A NIGHTMARE @netflix pic.twitter.com/txe8NeQOP6

— Hezekiah☁️ (@hezekiaahh) May 11, 2019

Listen I will cancel my subscription if y’all don’t take Star into consideration. You’ve got the fans, the viewers, let’s get Star a new season @Netflix #SaveSTAR

— #RENEWSTAR (@savestar4) May 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/lonelygirltingz/status/1127018041164935168

https://twitter.com/najahcant/status/1127022288535281664

Netflix please take over this show!!!#SaveStar pic.twitter.com/aFkXQD8pna

— China Eyes (@Doddledee) May 11, 2019

Cast members have been mum about the campaign but have shared moments from the show and their own reaction to the shocking news.

thank you. thank you. thank you. pic.twitter.com/K1tetqG98Q

— Jude (@wordtoJude) May 11, 2019

A moment. This was us after filming the pilot episode of @STAR

We had no idea what would happen, if anything at all...

I’m so proud of the stories we’ve told and I’m so thankful for the sisters and family I’ve gained.

This story isn’t over #StarForever https://t.co/evYMjCznh9

— Amiyah Scott (@KingAmiyahScott) May 11, 2019

To the fans, we love you. pic.twitter.com/q30zaGg5JL

— RYAN DESTINY (@RyanDestiny) May 11, 2019

Variety reports Star wasn't the only FOX series to get the boot. The network also canceled freshman drama The Passage and comedy The Cool Kids in addition to Lethal Weapon, which also lasted three seasons.

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Cookie Settings