NYPD Officer Indicted On Shooting Unarmed Man In Brooklyn Stairwell

NYPD Officer Found Guilty Of Manslaughter In Shooting Death Of Akai Gurley

Peter Liang, the rookie cop who fatally shot Akai Gurley in a stairwell last year in a New York public housing building, has been found guilty of manslaughter. The New York Daily News reports the ruling was delivered Thursday evening (February 11)

The 28-year-old was also found guilty of official misconduct after a 911 call revealed he didn't assist Gurley, 28, who bled to death. The shooting happened in April 2015 when Liang and his partner Officer Shaun Landau were patrolling Pink Houses in Brooklyn. After entering a dimly lit staircase, Liang fired his gun the same time as Gurley and his girlfriend Melissa Butler entered from a higher floor. The bullet ricocheted off the wall, hitting Gurley in the chest.

As the defense argued Liang was in fear of his life and was essentially shaken after Gurley was shot, prosecutors questioned why he and his partner didn't help administer CPR on Gurley who succumbed to his injury. Butler was given CPR directions from a neighbor who called 911.

Gawker reports Assistant District Attorney Joseph Alexis also questioned the officer's actions during closing arguments.

“No matter what happened in the police academy with police training, you can rest assured Peter Liang, Shaun, and every other graduate of the academy was better equipped, better trained, and able to do the chest compressions Melissa Butler was forced to do while she knelt in [Gurley’s] blood and urine,” he said. “This is not an accident. This is an officer who couldn’t properly handle his gun,” Alexis said. “It’s no accident [the bullet] hit the wall steps away from where Akai Gurley stood.”

The conviction comes a week after a Michigan police officer was sentenced to 13 months to 10 years for beating an unarmed Black man after a traffic violation. William Melendez was given a stern speech by Judge Vonda Evans on the mistreatment of African-Americans and failed practices of law enforcement.

Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch wasn't thrilled about the sentencing, telling reporters the jury made the wrong choice. "We are very disappointed in the verdict and believe that the jury came to an absolutely wrong decision."

Liang will be sentenced on April 14.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Issa Rae Launches Her Own Record Label

Issa Rae has a lot of projects in the works, and she’s making room for another big venture. On Thursday (Oct. 18), the Insecure star announced the launch of her new record label, Raedio, along with introducing the world to TeaMarr, the imprint’s first artist.

“Beyond excited to present the first amazingly talented artist from my new label RAEDIO,” the Emmy winner captioned a clip of TeaMarrr’s music video where she makes a cameo.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Beyond excited to present the first amazingly talented artist from my new label RAEDIO, TeaMarrr (@imaliltcup)! Check out her song and video, "Kinda Love" on all streaming platforms now! (@theraedio)

A post shared by Issa Rae (@issarae) on Oct 18, 2019 at 8:06am PDT

The record label is a partnership with Atlantic Records, according to Variety. Rae’s label will also be responsible for supervising the music on A Black Lady Sketch Show, which she executive produces.

“Music has always been an essential part of every project I do and working with emerging talent is a personal passion,” Rae said in a statement. “Raedio allows me to continue that work within the music industry and audio entertainment space. The Atlantic team are innovators in terms of shifting and shaping culture. I’m excited to join forces with them to discover new artists.”

Raedio is technically her first foray into the recording industry, but music has always been a “central character” in Insecure, Atlantic Chairman & COO Julie Greenwald noted.

“Issa Rae is a next-level, future-thinking creative force who’s been breaking down cultural barriers and conquering one field after another,” said Greenwald. “She’s made music a central character in her artistic evolution, and now she’s brought all that amazing passion, inspiration, and taste to the formation of Raedio. We’re thrilled to be partnering with Issa and her team on this exciting new venture, and TeaMarrr is the perfect artist to launch with.”

Wath TeaMarrr's  “Kinda Love” music video below.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

The Game Must Pay Accuser $7 Million After Losing Appeal In Sexual Assault Case

The Game is still ordered to pay a $7.1 million judgement after his attempt at a new trial in his sexual battery case was denied by an Illinois court on Thursday (Oct. 17). The Seventh Circuit Court upheld the lower court’s decision to deny the rapper’s attempt at having a trial continuance.

The 39-year-old rapper is accused of sexually assaulting Priscilla Rainey, a former contest on his VH1 reality dating show, She’s Got Game, during an “off-camera date” at a Chicago sports bar in May 2015. Rainey won her lawsuit in 2016.

U.S. Circuit Judge Diane Sykes called The Game’s behavior, “deeply reprehensible,” and outlined details of the sexual assault in a 19-page memo.

Rainey claims that the Grammy-nominated recording artist, whose birth name is Jayceon Taylor, was high on drugs during the incident where he “forcefully” reached inside her skirt and rubbed her private parts, and buttocks. Three days later, Rainey confronted The Game while they were on a tour bus “with other cast members, and a film crew caught the entire exchange on camera.” A “heated exchange ensued” between the two, and The Game threatened Rainey and told her to get off of the bus. She instead shared the details of the assault with the film crew.

Rainey sued for sexual battery in 2015. The Game responded by launching numerous public insults, and accusing her of suing because she was upset about being eliminated from the show.

Rainey won the lawsuit after The Game failed to show up to court during the trial, and his attempts to delay the proceedings were unsuccessful. The Game also lost a $20 million lawsuit that he filed against Viacom.

Continue Reading
Bob Levey

A Tekashi 6ix9ine Documentary Series Is In The Works

Showtime is set to debut a new project about Tekashi 6ix9ine.  Supervillain, a three-part limited docuseries produced by Imagine Documentaries, Rolling Stone  and Lightbox, will explore the rise of the New York native.

“The bizarre and complicated rise of Tekashi 6six9ine is a story of our times,” said Vinnie Malhotra, EVP, Nonfiction Programming, Showtime Networks. “Beyond becoming one of the most notorious hip hop artists of this generation, his story speaks volumes of the impact of social media and manufactured celebrity in our society. We’re excited to be partnering with such heavy hitters in the world of music and documentary to bring Supervillain to life.”

The series is inspired by the Rolling Stone article, Tekashi 6ix9ine: The Rise and Fall of a Hip Hop Supervillain, released earlier in the year.

“Tekashi 6ix9ine is one of the most enigmatic music artists of a generation,” said Gus Wenner, President and COO of Rolling Stone. “Rolling Stone is thrilled to work with Showtime and our other partners to bring the gripping story of Tekashi’s meteoric rise to stardom and infamy to viewers around the world.”

Supervillain isn't the only Tekashi-inspired project on the way. Snapchat is working on a doc about the 23-year-old recording artist, and 50 Cent is reportedly producing a biopic about him.

Tekashi, whose birth name is Daniel Hernandez, testified against former gang affiliates in federal court last month in exchange for a lowered prison sentence.  Though it’s unclear when he will be freed, the “FeFe” rapper -- who was facing up to life in prison -- recently signed a record deal worth a reported $10 million.

Continue Reading

Top Stories