obama-announces-trip-to-cuba
WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 17: U.S. President Barack Obama announces his appointment of former IBM CEO Sam Palmisano and Tom Donilon to the the newly-created Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity in the Oval Office at the White House February 17, 2016 in Washington, DC. Having previously served as Obama's National Security Advisor, Donilon with chair the commission and Palmisano will be his deputy. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Getty Images

Obama Moves Forward Despite Criticism: "I'm Going To Cuba"

Obama will be the first sitting president in 90 years to step foot on the island.

Over the weekend, President Obama addressed the nation of his upcoming trip to Cuba and explained his extensive to-do list for his two-day visit.

"I'm focused on the future, and I'm confident that my visit will advance the goals that guide us —promoting American interests and values and a better future for the Cuban people, a future of more freedom and more opportunity," said Obama at his weekly address.

POTUS plans to speak on controversial topics that have yet to be resolved on the island, such as providing citizens with Internet access and easing the trade process in order to help the Cuban people progress. He also intends on meeting with current dictator Raúl Castro, along with his ailing brother Fidel, and assured us that he would engage in an open conversation about the underlying faults of the Cuban government, while discussing democracy and human rights.

The historical trip will mark the first time in 90 years since a sitting president of the United States has set foot in the communist country. Obama has been preparing to make the trip since he reinstated diplomatic relations with Cuba last year.

Since the announcement, the Obama Administration has faced brash slander from renowned GOP circles, unsurprisingly led by Sens. Ted Cruz (Texas) and Marco Rubio (Fla.). “I will tell you the problem with the Cuban government,” said Rubio, a Cuban-American presidential candidate, during a CNN town hall. “It’s not just a communist dictatorship, it’s an anti-American communist dictatorship.”

Despite the controversy, Obama remains adamant on having a dialogue about helping the new generation of Cubans. "I've always said that change won't come to Cuba overnight. But as Cuba opens up, it will mean more opportunity and resources for ordinary Cubans. And we're starting to see some progress," Obama added.

Expect Obama to touch down in Cuba next month, Mar. 21-22.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Nicky Jam And Ozuna's "Te Robare" Video Transports Them To Another World

Nicky Jam and Ozuna are on a mission to get the girl they want at all costs. A black and white montage serves as the backdrop for their playful new video for their latest single, “Te Robare,” which translates into the mischievous: “I’ll steal you.”

Throughout their performance, a bevy of beautiful women have brief interludes that go from talking in a vaporized infused telephone booth to breaking into a sexy dance group sequence. "We are very happy to be able to share this new single with the fans of the reggaetón genre, we are sure that they will enjoy this song as much as we do,” Nicky said in a press release.

Despite the video featuring a slew of women, it's worth noting that it looks sexy but classic. Jam prides himself in creating this type of imagery in his visuals. In 2017, he told Billboard, "Our audience is so broad that we have to make videos where women look beautiful and conservative and are treated with respect because the videos are seen by kids and adults," he said. "Other reggaetóneros who do what they do are targeting one audience. They don’t have the same responsibility we do."

In addition to releasing new music, Nicky Jam is kicking off his "Intimo Tour 2019" on April 11 in Chicago and will go through the month of May. Watch the video for "Te Robare" above.

Continue Reading

Ozuna And Darell Travel Through An Industrial Conquest Denouncing A Bad Love In "Vacia Sin Mi"

Gloomy cloudy skies are looming over an industrial like setting dotted with huge heavy duty trucks, as beautiful young ladies clad in yellow jumpsuits surround Ozuna in the visuals for his new single, “Vacia Sin Mi” featuring Latin trap artist Darell.

The new track is centered around the plight behind a romance gone wrong, and Ozuna is denouncing the love interest that did him wrong.  Through a hypnotic slow beat, he sings on beat about wanting nothing to do with her. He’s moved on and so should she. Darell assists the singer with brash vocals, which sound like the Spanish version of rapper Future’s signature raspy syrupy drawl.

“We want to show people a completely new concept, always looking to surprise the fans that have always supported my artistic career,” Ozuna stated in a press release.  

“Vacia Sin Mi” is the 27 year-old’s latest single off his forthcoming project NIBURU, which will be released under the record label Dimelo Vi. Just recently, the reggaeton artist made history by garnering 23 nominations for the 2019 Billboard Latin Music Awards.

We’re curious to see what new music and sound his forthcoming project will bring. Last year, he told VIBE VIVA about his previous album, Aura and what it represents for him. "Aura" is what one reflects in the heart, what you bring into the world, and what people want to learn from you,” he said. “In this situation particularly, it reflects what I have learned from fame, from all this going around my life. I interpreted all that in this album. I made international collaborations, which is something that didn’t exist in the past.”

Watch the video for “Vacia Sin Mi” above.

 

Continue Reading

Two Former Cops Arrested For Murder Of Brazilian Politician and Activist Marielle Franco

Brazilian activist and councilwoman Marielle Franco was murdered almost a year ago on March 14 2018, along with her driver Anderson Gomes. Now almost a year since Franco's brutal murder, suspects have been named and arrested in the case.

"Two police officers were arrested for direct and effective participation in the crime," said Rio de Janeiro's state police secretary, Marcus Vinícius Braga. "With these arrests, we get close to solving the crime."

Franco was a well-known activist in Rio de Janeiro and she used her platform to speak out on police brutality and on the behalf of Black Brazilians who have been fighting the rampant racism in their country. Just a day before her death Franco had attended a discussion titled "Young Black Women Moving [Power] Structures" and just a couple of hours later was allegedly shot by the arrested suspect retired military officer Ronnie Lessa with the assistance of the expelled cop, and another suspect, Élcio Vieira Queiroz, who was driving the car.

Franco was clearly targeted given her candidness when speaking about the corruption that plagues the Brazilian police force and the color of her skin is what convinced the men that their actions would go unnoticed. Brazilian prosecutors have stated that Franco's assassination was planned three months in advance by the two individuals, however, they are also now looking into whether Lessa and Queiroz were hired to kill Franco by someone else.

Following the arrests Gomes' widow, Ágatha Reis spoke out. "It is a weight that is starting to lift off my shoulders," Reis said. "I cannot be completely at peace. They still have to tell us who ordered these killings. It doesn't end here." Reis sentiments were echoed by supporters of Franco as #WhoOrderedMariellesMurder trended on Twitter soon after the arrests as well.

This is the first step towards justice for Franco and Gomes and it must not be the last.

Continue Reading

Top Stories