brandy
Getty Images

Brandy Reportedly Issues Lawsuit Against Record Label

Brandy's label, Chameleon Entertainment Group, just received a hefty lawsuit from the revered R&B singer.

Brandy's label Chameleon Entertainment Group just received a hefty lawsuit from the revered R&B singer. According to Entertainment Weekly, the "Full Moon" artist claims the record entity has prevented her from laying down new melodies or releasing fresh tunes, stemming back to 2012.

In addition to the lawsuit, Brandy plans to seek $1 million for compensatory damages. Reportedly, her contract with the label has already been dissolved, but within the agreement, Brandy was slated to release four or more albums. However, according to the suit, the label has allegedly prevented the highly-decorated songstress from creating new music.

Her last album was 2012's Two Eleven, which featured the Chris Brown-assisted joint "Put It Down," and other singles including "Wildest Dreams" and "Scared of Beautiful."

Details are still forthcoming.

From the Web

More on Vibe

ASSOCIATED PRESS/Jeff Chiu

5 Things You Should Know About Nigerian Political Activist Omoyele Sowore

Political activist Omoyele Sowore's supporters have called for the Nigerian government's release of the vocal figure. The 48-year-old was detained on Aug. 3 for allegations of "threatening public safety, peaceful co-existence and social peace" on the heels of his "Revolution Now" protest (Aug. 5), BBC reports. The call to action was fueled by opposition to the regime of Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari and a need to revamp government policies that'll better reflect the desires of the country's people.

Here are five things to know about Sowore and his call to action.

Omoyele Sowore taught us not to ever trade our dignity for anything, he built our confidence to always speak truth to power and never feel less-human in any circumstance we find ourselves! #RevolutionNow #FreeSoworeNow pic.twitter.com/JmXQn3S5ir

— Revolutionary MO (@officialmo_cas) September 18, 2019

1. Sowore Launched Investigative Publication Sahara Reporters In 2006 Sowore began the online publication with the sole purpose of pinning a spotlight on corruption and holding politicians accountable for wayward actions. Since it was founded in New York City, a number of Nigerian officials have filed lawsuits in U.S. courts against the website for defamation. The Daily Beast nicknamed the outlet as "Africa's Wikileaks" for its unabashed coverage of corruption in Nigeria.

The site "is providing information to Nigerians in a way they've never had it before," Sowore said. Its content is fueled by anonymous Nigerians "who want to see a different country."

2. He Announced His Presidential Campaign In 2018 In an interview with Amsterdam News, Sowore unveiled a "10-point plan" to help Nigeria become a global force through economic, social, and technological changes. He also likened his desire to create a better lifestyle for Nigerians to the legendary Fela Anikulapo Kuti's messages. "I am such a Fela disciple. He was one single activist who took on the system all by himself using music," he said. "I didn’t have a good voice so I couldn’t sing, but I am using media, I am using my body, my skills, and I am using the internet to fight the government.”

Sowore has remained critical of the government since 1989 when he was a student at the University of Lagos. He also obtained a Master's Degree from Columbia University in public administration.

3. Protests From New York City To Italy Call For His Release Earlier this month, Facebook user Osuya Vivian called for Sowore's supporters to organize a peaceful protest in Italy that demands his release. "As concern Nigerians, we all have a responsibility to speak out and secure the release of our own because injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere and whatever affects one directly, affects all directly," Vivian's statement reads.

On Thursday afternoon (Sept. 19), supporters appeared outside of the Nigerian embassy in New York City to bring awareness to Sowore's detainment. The African Renaissance Organization previously issued a petition to the United States Department of State that claims the Nigerian government is placing the limelight on "increasing threats to democratic freedom," according to the group's convener Onyinye Chuks.

4. According To His Wife, Opeyemi Sowore, There Are No Formal Charges Opeyemi Sowore said her husband has yet to face any charges despite an investigation being spearheaded by the country's government or the Department of State Services (DSS), per Democracy Now. His time in jail without bail has surpassed the court-ordered 45-day mark that the government has to bring charges against a detainee. On Twitter, #FreeSoworeNow mobilized the global community to demand his release.

Opeyemi Sowore also notes that her husband’s detainment might stem from his meeting with Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). In 2015, he was arrested for treason. Kanu has called upon the United Nations to support the movement's mission of Biafra's secession from Nigeria, according to Sahara Reporters. In that same statement, he also demanded Sowore's release.

Against all odds, against all their efforts to silence us, WE MARCHED. We must be free. Enough is enough.#FreeSowore#FreeSoworeNow#ThisIsNigeria pic.twitter.com/jzncqKWawi

— #RevolutionNow (@TIBmovement) September 18, 2019

5. Nigeria And Freedom Of The Press Under section 39 (1) of Nigeria's constitution, freedom of expression including freedom of the press is protected but past and current instances of censorship have placed a strain on the gather and dissemination of information. "There have been numerous arrests, also in the context of the 5 August demonstration, that actually did take place, where numerous people were arrested, including a number of reporters that work for Sahara Reporters," Nani Jansen Reventlow, a lawyer representing Sowore said to Democracy Now. "But various other human rights defenders in the country have been arrested over the past months."

Earlier this year, a Premium Times reporter was arrested for "refusing to reveal a source," CPJ reports. Office raids have reportedly occurred within the last four years, another journalist at Daily Trust stated.

Continue Reading
Ben Gabbe

Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty Fashion Show Makes Its Amazon Prime Debut

Rihanna is raising the bar again! The singer-turned-fashion and makeup mogul pulled out all the stops for the Savage X Fenty New York Fashion Week presentation, which debuted on Amazon Prime Video Friday (Sept. 20).

Rih Rih’s fashion presentation was a unique experience and Amazon Prime viewers got a digital front-row seat to the action. The show went down on September 10 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center and fused music and fashion as Rihanna, and a bevy of background dancers, set the tone with choreographed movements courtesy of her “sprit animal,” choreographer, Parris Goebel. The fashion event also included performances from Normani, Big Sean, Janelle Monae, Fat Joe and more.

RIHANNA IS BACK ON STAGE. THIS IS WHAT YOU CAME FOR #SAVAGEXFENTYSHOW #SavageXFenty pic.twitter.com/PacWm2yv8T

— Gregory Fenty Ranchester (@GregFentyRanch) September 20, 2019

Savage x Fenty may be considered a freshman lingerie brand but it has already become a strong competitor for the likes of Victoria’s Secret. Rihanna's company recently secured $50 million in funding from investors bringing its total investments to approximately $70 million.

The 31-year-old Grammy winner has since jetted off to South Korea to promote Fenty Beauty after a busy week in New York, where she hosted her annual Diamond Ball last Thursday (Sept. 12). The charity ball raised a reported $5 million for Rihanna's Clara Lionel Foundation.

Click here to watch the Savage X Fenty fashion show.

 

Continue Reading
Getty

Trae Tha Truth Resumes Rescue Efforts As Houston Battles Extreme Flooding

Trae Tha Truth and the Relief Gang are back in action.  The Houston native has been busy rescuing stranded residents in Southeast Texas as the area endures extreme flooding from Tropical Storm Imelda.

The “Can’t Get Close” rapper took to social media Thursday (Sept. 19) in an effort to reach out to anyone who may be stranded.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

If you in the areas thats flooded , Beaumont, Winnie, kingwood, Clevland, spring , or any areas Thats Flooded Bad And Need Help dm @reliefgang or Hit Me or @djmrrogers , we headed out to help🙏🏿🙏🏿

A post shared by traeabn (@traeabn) on Sep 19, 2019 at 7:47am PDT

Numerous streets and roadways in the city were flooded out, leaving drivers stranded all across the city, and in areas like Kingston and Beaumont. In addition to flooding, the storm triggered massive power outages. According to Trae the Truth, the water reached his chest during one rescue attempt.

The storm’s aftermath could rival that of Hurricane Harvey, which ravaged Houston in 2017. At least two people have died from the storm. One of the victims was electrocuted before drowning as he tried to rescue his horse, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner acknowledged that the city was unprepared for the storm. "This happened very quickly," Turner said. "But it's just demonstrating that in this day and time, climate change is real. And we no longer have to be concerned just with a hurricane. We have to be concerned with almost any sort of weather system that can quickly evolve into a major storm and produce a great deal of rain."

The Beaumont Police Department has so far received hundreds of high water rescue and evacuation requests. As of Thursday night, the BPD announced that evacuation efforts will be suspended from 7:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. local time. “Rescue crews will continue to respond to life-threatening situations only,” the department tweeted. “If you are still in an area with standing water, seek higher ground and shelter in place. Be patient & only call 911 for emergencies.”

The 911 operations center has experienced a heavy call load with over 250 high water rescues and 270 evacuation requests. If there is an immediate threat to life safety, call 911. For non-emergency calls please call 409-832-1234.

— Beaumont Police Dept (@beaumont_police) September 19, 2019

Evacuation operations have been suspended from 7:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Rescue crews will continue to respond to life-threatening situations only. If you are still in an area with standing water, seek higher ground and shelter in place. Be patient & only call 911 for emergencies.

— Beaumont Police Dept (@beaumont_police) September 20, 2019

The storm also caused the FAA to ground all planes flying into Houston’s George Bush International Airport Thursday morning. “No arriving flights into Houston today, only few departing flights,” read a tweet from the airport. Flight operations are expected to fully resume Friday.

No arriving flights into Houston today, only few departing flights. Flight operations are estimated to resume tomorrow afternoon per the FAA. Will update if that changes to an earlier time. Check w/ airline on flight status. Roadways approaching IAH are clear at this time. pic.twitter.com/FDXH4JnhQl

— Houston Bush Airport (@iah) September 19, 2019

See photos from the storm below.

Continue Reading

Top Stories