debra-nesbit-tn-man-shot
AP

Memphis Woman Claims The Police Fatally Shot Her Unarmed Fiance

Why would there be any shots if there is no gun at hand? 

Debra Nesbit, the fiancée of Alexico Allen, who was fatally shot recently in Memphis, Tenn., spoke out on what really happened, contrary to what officials believe. The police engaged in a power struggle over a firearm Allen had on him, but still shot him after he gave up the gun.

Nesbit claims that Allen, “was shot in the back by an officer as he was surrendering a rifle to her during a confrontation with police—and then again in the chest as he lay dying—contradicting the assertion by investigators,” according to the Associated Press.

Initially, a news conference organized by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation on March 24, a day after the incident happened, affirmed the testimony of the officers—which states that Allen was shot after refusing to let go of the firearm while aiming it at the officer.

Still, Nesbit proceeded with her testimony on March 31, saying that the police originally came because of a call Allen made to the department stating that an unknown person was in his backyard. Yet when the police arrived at the scene, they reported not seeing such person on the property. After that, the police reportedly went back to the house because Allen’s mother dialed 911 claiming that her son was seeing hallucinations.

Here are more details and insight on what happened, according to The Associated Press.

Nesbit says three officers entered the house and asked if there were any guns in the house. They told Allen to put his hands on the wall. He then put his hands on a door jamb.

Nesbit said there was a rifle in the house, and she went to retrieve it from a closet. She found the rifle and slid it down a hallway toward the officers, with the muzzle facing her, Nesbit said.

"I said, 'Y’all, come and get the gun ... I slid the gun so it would not be facing no officer.”’

Allen then walked toward the rifle and picked it up by the butt, Nesbit said.

Nesbit said she walked toward Allen and begged him to give her the gun, "because if you don’t they’re going to shoot you," she said.

With his back to the officers as he faced Nesbit, Allen handed her the rifle as one officer fired two shots toward his back from just a few feet away, Nesbit said. She said the muzzle of the rifle was pointed at her when the officer fired.

"When he shot him, the gun was in my hand,” said Nesbit. “He already released it ... there wasn’t no struggle.”

Reportedly, after the shots were fired, Allen took one step toward the police, which then led to them to shoot him in the chest. “He stepped up and he shot him in the chest, pow,” Nesbit told the AP.

When Allen began to protest against the shots fired, the officers told her to be “be quiet,” and said that, “Allen could have snatched the gun from her and hurt her.”

Nesbit was detained in a police vehicle for two to three hours before giving a statement to officials. Further details for this story are still pending.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Leon Bennett/Getty Images for BET

Jeremih’s Mother Opens Up About His Battle With COVID-19

Three weeks into his battle with COVID-19, Jeremih has been removed from the ICU and transferred to a regular room at the Chicago medical center where he is receiving treatment. The 33-year-singer was at his mother, Gwenda Starling’s, home when he started feeling ill earlier in the month.

Within a couple of hours, he couldn't walk properly and decided to go to the hospital, where he has been since Nov. 5. “A couple hours later he was calling me saying, ‘Mom, I need to go to the hospital. All of a sudden he couldn’t walk,” Sterling told ABC Chicago. “He was barely walking. He was holding his stomach.”

Thankfully, Jeremih’s condition got worse from there. He was in critical condition and placed on a ventilator. Starling described the experience as a “tremendous nightmare.”

“The whole family was just so saddened and just shocked, first of all. After we gout out of that whole shock thing, it was like ‘OK, we’ve got to pray.’”

Jeremih’s condition has slowly improved over the last several days. His mother noted that she knew he was healing when he started asking her for real food. “I got so teary-eyed, but I get so joyful at the same time because he’s pulling through,” she said.

The family hopes that he will be home by Thanksgiving. “It may be a bit much to ask God, but I figure we’ve been asking for everything else.”

Watch the full interview below.

Continue Reading
Alex Edelman / AFP) (Photo by ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images

‘Chappelle’s Show’ Removed From Netflix At Dave Chappelle’s Request

Chappelle’s Show is no longer streaming on Netflix, at the request of Dave Chappelle. The comedian reached out to the company to ask them to remove the series, for which he received no residuals, and they quickly complied.

On Tuesday (Nov. 24), Chappelle’s posted an Instagram video from a recent stand-up show, called Unforgiven, where he further explained his reasoning for not wanting the Viacom/CBS-owned show to stream on Netflix. “[ViacomCBS] didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract,” he explained of the sketch comedy show. “But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either.

“That’s why I like working for Netflix,” he continued. “I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better.”

Episodes of Chapelle's Show had been streaming on Netflix for about a month. While the showw has been wiped from the streaming outlet, episodes remain on Comedy Central, CBS All Access, and HBO Max.

Watch Chappelle’s full clip below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Dave Chappelle (@davechappelle)

Continue Reading
Marcus Ingram/Getty Images

‘Black Panther’ Sequel Will Reportedly Begin Filming In Atlanta Next Year

Filming on the highly anticipated sequel to Black Panther is set to begin next summer. Marvel Studios will start shooting the Ryan Coogler-directed sequel in July 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

“The series are the priority, “ a source told THR of Marvel’s film strategy going into next year. “Ramping them up takes a lot of focus. The movie machinery is well established.”

The shoot will last at least six months. Princess Shuri, the character played by Letitia Wright, who plays King T’Challa's sister Princess Shuri, could take on an expanded role given the death of Chadwick Boseman.

Narcos: Mexico actor Tenoch Huerta will reportedly join the cast, while Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Windsor Duke are also expected to return for the second installment of the Marvel film.

In September, Black Panther’s executive producer Victoria Alonso denied rumors that Boseman would appear in the film via CGI technology. “There's only one Chadwick, and he's not with us,” Alonso said. “Our king, unfortunately, has died in real life, not just in fiction, and we are taking a little time to see how we return to the story and what we do to honor this chapter of what has happened to us that was so unexpected, so painful, so terrible, in reality.”

Boseman, 43, passed away from colon cancer in August.

Continue Reading

Top Stories