'Space Jam' Director Thinks The LeBron James Sequel Is Doomed
Director Joe Pytka's worries have little to do with James, and more about the relevancy of the potential players in the sequel.
The promise of a sequel to 90's favorite Space Jam has been fulfilled, but a lot of people thinks it's a bad idea, including the film's original director. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter Thursday (May 12,) director Joe Pytka says Space Jam 2 is "doomed" in more ways than one.
"Don't do it," Pytka said. "It's doomed. Michael Jordan was the biggest star on the planet."
MJ's star power helped bring in $230 million at the box office and at the time, everyone was in love with Bugs Bunny. So far, LeBron James has reportedly been in talks to star in the film while Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond, Fast & Furious 6) will direct.
Pyka shared a few more gripes about the film, including the undeniable notion of Steph Curry's popularity. He also mentions the former/current NBA players like Larry Bird and Charles Barkley had personalities that kept the film entertained for everyone.
"When we did Space Jam, there was a perfect storm of players and ex-players available — Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing," says Pytka. "They all had a persona that complemented the film. There are none around like that now."
So far, J.R. Smith has been in talks with producers to be a part of the film. Sure, he isn't warm and fuzzy like Barkley and Ewing, but there are some potential players like Nick Young or Dwayne Wade who bring hilarity to the Monstars team.
Another worry is the relevancy of the once-beloved Loony Tunes gang. The cartoons and entertainers of yesteryear are slowly fading away from the spotlight, hence the recent cancellation of ABC's reboot of The Muppets. It should be noted in the 90's, the use of animation in films was a big deal. Thanks to Pixar and Disney, these things aren't a wonder anymore.
Space Jam 2 could be something special. Let's just see how Hollywood will win over the audience this time around.