Charges Dropped Against All Officers In Freddie Gray Case

On Wednesday morning (July 27), during a hearing held to commence the trial of Officer Garrett Miller, one of the six officers involved in the Freddie Gray case, the prosecution decided to drop all charges against Officers Garrett Miller, William Porter, and Alicia White, according to the Baltimore Sun. The announcement comes after the acquittals of Officers Edward Nero, Caesar Goodson, and Lt. Brian Rice by Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams over the course of the last three months.

One of the officers, William Porter, went to trial late last year for charges in the Gray case only for the end result to be a mistrial due to a hung jury. Before today’s announcement, Porter was set to be retried in September with Officer White scheduled to be tried the following month.

READ: Officer Edward Nero Found Not Guilty In Freddie Gray Case

Following the announcement, Catherine Flynn, Garrett Miller’s attorney, made a statement outside of the courthouse saying, “All of our clients are thrilled with what happened today, and we’ll be making a comment later to address the details of what happened.”

Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby expressed her sentiments after the announcement by saying, “After much thought and prayer it has become clear that without being able to work with an independent investigatory agency from the very start, without having a say in the election of whether cases proceed in front of a judge or jury, without communal oversight of police in this community, without substantive reforms to the current criminal justice system, we could try this case 100 times and cases just like it and we would still end up with the same result.”

READ: Freddie Gray: Everything You Should Know About His Arrest And Death

She also went on to say that there is an “inherent bias” whenever “police police themselves,” furthering her thoughts she added that the department’s investigation contained “consistent bias at every stage.”

The Freddie Gray case, which centers on the 25-year-old African American man who suffered several severe spinal cord injuries in the back of a police van in April 2015 and died a week after his arrest, is said to be one of the most high profile cases in Baltimore history.