Jason La Canfora Thinks Ray Rice Is Being Held To An “Unrealistic Standard”
The public fallout left from Ray Rice’s infamous elevator knockout caught on camera hasn’t dissipated, as the former Baltimore Raven attempts to gain a home with any one of the NFL’s 32 teams. Yet, CBS.com sports writer Jason La Canfora doesn’t seem to think the 2014 incident should mean Rice can’t play football anymore.
“The fact that he can’t get a phone call…I think he’s being held to an incredibly unrealistic standard,” the 42-year-old said Tuesday (August 9) after his in-depth interview with the now disgraced football player.
The incident, which occurred in the elevator of Atlantic City’s Revel Hotel and Casino, originally happened in February 2015, yet, TMZ released the disturbing footage that following September. The grainy black-and-white video showed the former running back knocking out his then fiancee now wife Janay Palmer, and dragging her body outside of the elevator. Amidst backlash, the NFL released a statement, then suspended Rice for two games prior to his now current predicament.
La Canfora made sure to condemn Rice’s actions, but thinks being “blackballed” by the NFL is a stretch.
“I don’t know that what he did, as horrific and horrendous as it was, should mean that you now have no career, and you’re not allowed to do what you do best and you have a monopoly of 32 teams, a cartel almost, tell you that we’re just going to blackball you because the horrendous thing you did just happened to be caught on video tape. I just think the whole thing is just unfortunate.”
By not allowing Rice to play, La Canfora also said it speaks more about the NFL’s inability to properly tackle domestic violence than what Rice has done so far to positively bring attention to it in an attempt to rewrite his wrongs.
“I think it says more about the NFL, than it does about Ray Rice,” La Canfora said.
Listen to the full recap of the interview below.