California Judge Rules Against Parents In Fight To Keep Toddler On Life-Support


A comatose toddler declared brain dead by a California hospital, was removed from life support following a judge’s order Thursday (Aug. 25). The parents of 2-year-old Israel Stinson filed an injunction earlier in the month, to stop the boy from being removed from a ventilator at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.

READ: This California Woman Lost Her Entire Family In A Fatal Car Accident

The hospital responded with a motion against the parents’ injunction, and by Thursday, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Amy D. Hogue ruled in the hospital’s favor.

Stinson passed away almost immediately after being taken off life support at 3 p.m. local time, ending a five-month battle fought by Fonseca, and the child’s father, Nathaniel Stinson.

Fonseca, aimed to show that the child still had brain activity by documenting Stinson making small movements.

The family has been left “devastated” by the court decision.

“It was a complete shock,” Alexandra Snyder, one of Fonseca’s attorneys, said of Thursday’s decision.

The Life Legal Defense Foundation, a Northern-California based pro-life organization, is representing the family without pay.

“I was on the phone with his mother when the doctors disconnected him,” recalled Snyder. “They were in such a hurry to do it, they didn’t even sit down and explain what was going on.”

READ: Mom Of 3 Dies Trying To Protect Her Children Fro Gunfire At Bronx Park

The case is similar to that of Jahi McMath, a 13-year-old girl who was declared braindead in 2013, following complications from tonsils surgery at Children’s Hospital Oakland. McMath’s family battled the hospital in court keep her on a ventilator, eventually relocating the teen to a New Jersey hospital. Last month a First Appellate court denied the hospital’s appeal, thus allowing the family time to prove that McMath is in fact still alive.

Stinson, of Vacaville, California, was declared brain dead after going into cardiac arrest and slipping into a coma following a severe asthma attack in April.

Tags: life support