Charlotte Police To Release Video Of Shooting Death Of Keith Scott
Getty Images

Charlotte Police To Release Partial Footage Of Keith Scott Shooting

Succumbing to pressure, police officials will release footage of the Keith L. Scott shooting on Saturday (Sept. 24).

After days of protest and unrest in North Carolina, police officials announced plans to release footage of the Keith L. Scott shooting. Speaking to reporters on Saturday (Sept. 24) at the West Charlotte police station, police chief Kerr Putney said the dashboard and body camera recordings supports the department's narrative that the father of seven was in possession of a firearm.

“The video does not give me absolute, definitive visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun,"Putney said. Police officers approached Scott on Tuesday (Sept. 20) at his apartment complex in northeast Charlotte to serve a warrant. Upon their contact with the father of seven, they noticed he was in possession of marijuana and gun. From there, the incident escalated, leading to an alleged standoff between Scott and the police.

The footage released to the public is not the video in its' entirety, Putney explained. "There is a crime that he committed and the gun exacerbated that," he said. "They were specifically looking for somebody wanted. The facts are the facts and they will not change. That's what we're presenting here." CMPD also supported Putney's statements in a deleted tweet.

Putney added the release of Rakeyia Scott's video isn't related to their decision to release the selected footage. Scott's family viewed the videos in private before releasing their footage on Friday. Witness accounts have surfaced telling a different story. Witness Tracy McLean shared with reporters that after Scott was shot, officers went into his car. Another witness claimed it wasn't Brentley Vinson, but another cop who fired their weapon.

Putney promised reporters the video would be released sometime Saturday afternoon. Check out the news conference below.

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Oprah Winfrey Announces $10 Million Donation To COVID-19 Relief Efforts

Oprah Winfrey is donating $10 million to aid in relief efforts to help Americans during the coronavirus pandemic, the billionaire announced on Thursday (April 2). The donation will help residents in cities around the country, including areas where Winfrey grew up.

In addition to her donation, Winfrey directed fans to a free Apple TV+ episode of Oprah Talks discussing how we can “mindfully move through a crisis while holding onto ourselves and our humanity.”

“I am donating $10 million overall to help Americans during this pandemic in cities across the country and in areas where I grew up,” Winfrey tweeted.

I am donating $10 million overall to help Americans during this pandemic in cities across the country and in areas where I grew up. For more on this Fund and how everyone can be of service, watch this free AppleTV+ conversation here: https://t.co/n7L6drnpcV

— Oprah Winfrey (@Oprah) April 2, 2020

One million dollars of the donation will go to America’s Food Fund, which is a GoFundMe campaign launched by Leonardo DiCaprio and Laurene Powell Jobs in connection with Feeding America. The campaign aides the most vulnerable communities around the country.

In additional tweets, Winfrey added that America’s Food Fund will be “a powerful way to make a difference for our neighbors.”

“I hope you all will join me, I know everybody can’t donate a million dollars but I feel like this is the central place to go if you really want to do something,” Winfrey said in a video call with Chef Jose Andres and Feeding America CEO Calir Babineaux-Fonenot.

The campaign has so far raised more than $12 million of its $15 million goal.

Continue Reading
Rapper Tekashi69, real name Daniel Hernandez and also known as 6ix9ine, Tekashi 6ix9ine, Tekashi 69, leaves after his arraignment on assault charges in County Criminal Court #1 at the Harris County Courthouse on August 22, 2018 in Houston, Texas.
Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images

Tekashi 6ix9ine Released From Prison Early Due To Coronavirus Outbreak

After pleading for an early release due to the threat of coronavirus,  Tekashi 6ix9ine’s request was officially granted. The 23-year-old rapper was freed from custody on Thursday (April 2) and will serve out the remainder of his two-year sentence at home, the New York Times reports.

The Brooklyn native, who was reportedly being housed at the Queens Detention Facility, was expected to be go free in August. In January, Tekashi’s legal team filed for an early release claiming that he feared for his life behind bars, but the request was denied. After the pandemic hit, Tekashi’s lawyers filed a new motion, arguing that his asthma put him further at risk of catching COVID-19, which is a respiratory illness. The motion was initially denied by Judge Paul Engelmayer because of a discrepancy over the proper channels of filing for his release. In the end, Judge Engelmayer approved the request.

“Had the Court known that sentencing Mr. Hernandez to serve the final four months of his terms in a federal prison would have exposed him to a heightened health risk, the Court would have directed that these four months be served instead in home confinement,” Judge Engelmayer wrote in his decision per the NYT.

New York currently tops the list for COVID-19 in the U.S. with at least 83,948 confirmed cases as of Thursday, 6,142 recoveries and 1,941 deaths.

Tekashi, whose both name is Daniel Hernandez, was sentenced to two years after testifying against members of the Nine Trey Bloods gang of which he was reportedly affiliated. His lawyer, Lance Lazarro, said Thursday that he has “no intentions” of entering witness protection and “hopes to resume his career.”

Continue Reading
Cardi B attends "The Road to F9" Global Fan Extravaganza at Maurice A. Ferre Park on January 31, 2020 in Miami, Florida.
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images

Cardi B Assures Fans She Doesn't Have Coronavirus After Hospitalization

Cardi B has clarified her recent hospitalization had nothing to do with the current coronavirus outbreak.

The rapper took to Instagram Live to clear up the rumors after she shared a photo of her with an identity band from a hospital. “I’ve been very f***ing sick these past five days–not corona,” she said Thursday (April 2). “I have really bad stomach issues. I started throwing up; I took a pregnancy test cuz a b***h never f***ing knows.”

As she tried to find out what was wrong, fans went into a frenzy with claims of coronavirus. “I threw up seven times," she said. "I didn’t want to go to the hospital, I went to the hospital. I was sick and [press] ran with it, then my publicist hit me up and it ain’t nothing coronavirus-related, thank God!”

The possible stomachache may be connected to the singer's first world problems of finding a perfect chef. “I don’t have nobody to cook for me. I hired a chef two times and they were nasty and expensive,” she said.

In lighter news, the rapper confirmed proceeds of her viral "Coronavirus" track will benefit those in need during the COVID-19 outbreak.

"Yes! That's what [we're] going to do!" Cardi B tweeted last week. "Keep in mind you don’t get your money right away...but even months from now there would be families with financial issues for getting laid off due to the virus. We will donate!"

Continue Reading

Top Stories