ARIA Resort & Casino's 13th Annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational At Shadow Creek - Day 4
Getty Images

Michael Jordan Shares Thoughts On Charlotte Protests And Keith Lamont Scott's Death

The NBA legend is speaking out on the social unrest in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Earlier this week, Charlotte, North Carolina resident, Keith Lamont Scott, was killed outside of an apartment building by Officer Brentley Vinson.

Officers sought to serve an arrest warrant, but Scott, 43, wasn't the intended recipient of that mandate. Despite that fact, officers still approached Scott in his vehicle and said that he reportedly had a handgun in his possession. That detail has yet to be confirmed since there's no "definitive, visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun," Police Chief Kerr Putney said Thursday (Sept. 22).

According to Scott's family, he didn't have a firearm on him. He was reading a book while awaiting his son's arrival from school.

Scott's death has sparked protests across the city of Charlotte and prompted responses from some of the city's most visible public figures like Cam Newton to now, Michael Jordan.

As owner of the NBA's Charlotte Hornets, MJ shared a statement on the recent events:

"First, I want to express my condolences to the Scott family for their loss. I also wish for a full recovery to those who have been injured," he writes. “In light of the tragic events of the past three days, it is more important than ever that we restore calm and come together, as a community, in peaceful demonstration and conversation, and in constructive and non-violent ways. As part of the fabric of Charlotte, the Hornets organization is committed to working with civic leaders, our elected leaders and law enforcement to foster more trust, transparency and understanding so we can heal and grow together as a community.”

The video of Scott's death will be viewed by the family, but law enforcement officials will hold off on making the video public.

From the Web

More on Vibe

John Gibbins

Kellen Winslow II Keeps Straight Face During Rape Trial

Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II reportedly showed no emotion Monday (May 20) during the opening statements of his rape trial. The 35-year-old was said to be stoic when prosecutors said he “took what he wanted” from several women, including a 17-year-old who accused him of rape while he was a student at The University of Miami.

Winslow's father, a former San Diego Charger, sat inside the Southern California courtroom behind his son as a show of support.

Winslow was arrested in 2018 after authorities found evidence linking him to the break-ins of two elderly women in north San Diego's Encinitas neighborhood. However, the charges were dismissed by a judge during a preliminary hearing.

After posting bail, Winslow was arrested for allegedly raping two women. On March 17, a 54-year-old hitchhiker said Winslow offered her a ride and when she accepted, he attacked her in the parking lot of a shopping center. The New England Patriots' tight end supposedly threatened to kill the woman if she screamed, so she remained silent.

“She was too scared to scream,” Owens told jurors.

The woman reported the attack to authorities four days later but refused to be examined. She instead gave investigators Winslow's blood-stained paints she says he wore. DNA testing found Winslow's semen on the pants.

Owens said in May of that same year, Winslow befriended a 59-year-old homeless woman and sodomized her.

Winslow's attorney, Brian Watkins, told that jury that while his client repeatedly cheated on his wife, it doesn't mean he assaulted the several women accusing him of rape.

“It’s wrong. It’s immoral, but it is not illegal,” Watkins said.

Watkins contends the women who have accused Winslow are preying on him due to the media coverage of his rape allegations.

When Winslow was out on a $2 million bail, a 77-year-old woman accused the former New York Jet of exposing himself to her at a gym twice and masturbated in front of her. He has been held in jail without bail, since.

Winslow pled not guilty to 12 charges, and if found guilty, he could face life in prison.

Continue Reading
Jayne Kamin-Oncea

Deontay Wilder Makes Sinister Remarks Ahead Of Bout With Dominic Breazeale

Drenched in sweat and surrounded by reporters and cameras, Deontay Wilder made sinister remarks Tuesday (May 14) ahead of his bout with Dominic Breazeale, which centered the WBC heavyweight champion in steep controversy.

"[Breazeale's] life is on the line for this fight and I do mean his life,” Wilder said. “I am still trying to get me a body on my record."

Last December, Wilder earned the title in a controversial draw against Tyson Fury, but prior to their bout in the ring, Wilder, 33, said he wants "a wants a body on his record," which resulted in backlash as the sport has already had several injuries and deaths in and outside of the ring.

Ahead of Saturday's matchup with Breazeale, Wilder doubled down on his desire and asserted boxing is a sport which makes it legal.

"Dominic Breazeale asked for this. I didn't go seek him. He [sought] me. So if it comes it comes. This is a brutal sport. This is not a gentleman sport," Wilder said. "We don't ask to hit each other in the face but we do anyway, and you can ask any doctor around the world, he will tell you, your head is not meant to be hit."

"On this particular time, we have bad blood against each other. This is the only sport where you can kill a man and get paid for it at the same time. It's legal. So why not use my right to do so?"

Wednesday afternoon (May 15) Wilder began to trend on social media with many demonstrating a plethora of emotions

https://twitter.com/RealLifeKaz/status/1128691722081513472

Nobody:

Deontay Wilder: pic.twitter.com/oWQyF2NK8Q

— Cash Money 💵🏘 (@FineAssTwin) May 15, 2019

I've been inspired and touched by Deontay Wilder's story about how He got into boxing to help pay for His daughter's medical bills and He genuinely might be a really nice guy, but it's so fucking hard to see when he's spouting shite like this. Get fucked pic.twitter.com/hgF4G8D2l1

— Jay Brown (@JayJagsBrown) May 15, 2019

Deontay Wilder and Dominic Breazeale go at it Saturday, (May 18) Let's hope both men leave the arena in one piece.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Lamar Odom Suffering From Severe Memory Loss After Near-Fatal Overdose

Lamar Odom is a “walking miracle.” In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, the 39-year-old former NBA player turned team captain for Ice Cube’s Big 3 basketball league, reflected on the near death experience that left him with permanent memory loss.

“My memory is really bad,” Odom admitted to the newspaper. “I can’t remember anything. My short-term memory is really bad. … I wish I could explain it but I can’t. It’s tough and it’s really frustrating. If there’s a poster child for Alzheimer’s, I’m probably it. It’s something I’m scared of. I think I need to go see a doctor at some point and see if I can work on that. It’s scary.”

Odom returned was in Vegas Wednesday (May 1) for the Big 3 draft, but Sin City has a whole new meaning to the native New Yorker. In October 2015, Odom almost died from a drug overdose after being found unconscious in a Las Vegas brothel. Odom suffered 12 strokes, and half a dozen heart attacks while he was comatose.

“I always knew I had a strong will. I think my will is even stronger than I believed it was. It’s a testament that God is good,” he said. “When I woke up [from the coma] and I couldn’t talk or walk I never thought I would be here. I never thought I would play basketball again or talk to you. Just to be here is a win for me.”

Despite the miraculous recovery Odom revealed that he suffered from physical setbacks that have affected his game. “I can’t dribble the basketball the way I used to. That was a gift from God. It was just so natural for me. It was a mismatch for me with my size to be able to put the ball on the floor the way I did,” he said. “I guess God gave me life so he had to take something… I guess he took away some of my natural ability, which came easy to me. Ball handling and dribbling is still an issue but I have a month to work on that before the season starts.”

The Big 3 2019 regular season kicks off on June 22.

Continue Reading

Top Stories