Charlotte
Getty Images

Man Left In Critical Condition After Shooting During Second Evening Of Charlotte Protests

The victim was reportedly shot by another civilian as protests continued for the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by Officer Brentley Vinson. 

The second evening of protests in Charlotte resulted in the shooting death of a man just days after the police killing of Keith Lamont Scott.

According to The New York Times, police described the incident as a "civilian on civilian" crime. Little is know about the shooting, but Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney confirmed a police officer wasn't involved. He also explained the presence of tear gas and rubber bullets towards protestors. "We’re trying to disperse the crowd. We’ve been very patient, but now they’ve become very aggressive, throwing bottles and so forth, at my officers, so it’s time for us now to restore order."

Scott, 43, died on Tuesday (Sept. 20) by the hands of 26-year-old Brentley Vinson. The father of seven was shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Police claimed Scott was armed with a gun, while his family claims he was reading a book. Police officers were dressed in riot gear as they attempted to calm down protestors. Mayor Jennifer Roberts released a statement via CNN condemning the violence. She also explained the riots were coming from a small group, not peaceful protestors. "Go home and tell everyone violence is not the answer," Roberts said. "The investigation is ongoing; it will be transparent." She previously confirmed to reporters footage of the Scott shooting will be made public soon.

President Barack Obama spoke to Roberts, as well as the mayor of Tulsa over the phone. Terrance Crutcher was fatally shot by Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby. Crutcher was facing car troubles and had his hands in the air at the time of the fatal encounter. Shelby maintains she the pastor posed a threat. The Justice Department is now investigating the shooting.

UPDATE 09/21/2016 11:15 P.M. 

Police have corrected their announcement that a man was shot and killed in Charlotte. In a new tweet, the city says the man is in critical condition and currently on life support. Governor Pat McCroy also released a statement on the protests.

“I want to assure the people of North Carolina that our SBI has already been assisting the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department throughout the last 24 hours," McCrory said. "Upon a very recent request of Chief Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to further help the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. The state has many additional assets nearby to assist. Any violence directed toward our citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated. I support and commend the law enforcement officials for their bravery and courage during this difficult situation.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Kevin C. Cox

Trae Young, Chauncey Billups, Zach LaVine And Others Compete In NBA's HORSE Challenge

COVID-19 interrupted basketball fans from watching Giannis Antetokounmpo dominate the league, nor can we watch Zion Williamson fill in his role as an emerging superstar NBA player.

But don't fret, on Sunday April 12, NBA players Chris Paul, Trae Young, Zach LaVine and Mike Conley, former NBA stars Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, current WNBA star Allie Quigley and WNBA legend Tamika Catchings will go head-to-head in a NBA HORSE Challenge.

The four quarterfinal match-ups will air Sunday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, and the two semifinals plus the final will air Thursday at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN.

The pairings for this Sunday's first-ever NBA HORSE Challenge on ESPN have been revealed 🏀

-Trae Young vs. Chauncey Billups -Tamika Catchings vs. Mike Conley Jr. -Zach LaVine vs. Paul Pierce -Chris Paul vs. Allie Quigley

— ESPN (@espn) April 9, 2020

Paul, Young, LaVine and Conley are all active players who have performed at an All-Star level in recent years.

Seasoned point guard Chris Paul is the most accomplished among this group. The former Wake Forest Demon Deacon is a ten-time All Star, he has 9 NBA All-Defensive Team selections and four assist titles.

Young is only in his second NBA season as a member of the Atlanta Hawks, but he's definitely on verge of becoming a star with numbers like 29.6 points and 9.3 assists per game. And he was named an All-Star starter this season.

ABSOLUTELY NO DUNKING🤨😅🤣 @ZachLaVine

— Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) April 8, 2020

I miss hoopin...🏀❤️❄️ pic.twitter.com/hsMdYzw9CY

— Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) April 7, 2020

Historic career-highs (like @ZachLaVine's 49 with 13 triples) & so much more... during the NBA hiatus, watch a free preview of NBA League Pass >> https://t.co/OwfRijlR6D pic.twitter.com/ny4dY004NH

— NBA (@NBA) March 25, 2020

LaVine was robbed of the NBA All Star game this year. The Chi-City Bulls guard put up 25.5 points, 4 assists and nearly five boards this season.

The highly respectable Conley is in his first season with the Utah Jazz after spending the first 12 years of his NBA career with the Memphis Grizzlies. However, he's never been named an All-Star, but he's coming off a career high average of 21 points per game.

The veteran Billups spent 17 seasons in the NBA, with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons. The five-time All-Star boasts one NBA championship and one NBA Finals MVP. His deadly clutch game has earned him the nickname, Mr. Big Shot.

The 42-year-old Pierce played 19 seasons in the league, 15 with the Boston Celtics, and runs with the Brooklyn Nets, Washington Wizards and Los Angeles Clippers. The veteran wing man boasts ten All-Star selections, one NBA championship and one NBA Finals MVP.

Catchings ranks as one of WNBA's all-time greats with ten All-Star bids, one WNBA league MVP, and one championship. And she's a Basketball Hall of Famer.

Quigley is a guard for the Chicago Sky who has been named an All-Star three times and the WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year twice. She also won the WNBA Three-Point Shootout twice, which makes her a major threat in the competition.

Who do you think will walk away with the W?

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ Will Be Available For Streaming Across All Services

One of Dr. Dre’s most acclaimed albums will be available across all music streaming services very soon. On Thursday (April 9), The Chronic will live on various streaming platforms on April 20, a feat eOne’s Global President, Music & Live, Chris Taylor, said should put a smile on fans’ faces.

“Fans now have another reason to celebrate on what has become a national holiday, celebrating all things cannabis-related – where legally allowed and in moderation of course,” Taylor said in an email statement. “Working with the Death Row catalogue is like working with the legendary recordings of Elvis, Chuck Berry and the Beatles. These historic artifacts should be heard by all music lovers and we are so happy Dr. Dre has opened this door so everyone can experience the brilliance of this seminal work.” On certain streaming services, only Dre's 2001 and Compton albums are available to stream.

The Chronic was released in 1992 under Death Row Records. Dre's debut album featured rap heavyweights like Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, The Lady of Rage, Kurupt, The D.O.C., Warren G, and more. With hit songs like “Let Me Ride” and “Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang,” The Chronic received triple platinum status and landed at the No. 3 spot on the U.S. Billboard 200 upon its arrival.

Previously, the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry selected The Chronic as one of 25 recordings to be honored within the prestigious roster. Via LA Weekly, Xenon Pictures’ Welcome to Death Row: The Rise and Fall of Death Row Records highlighted the making of The Chronic with its collaborators, including the late Nate Dogg. "I think [The Chronic] was a classic because everyone on it was hungry," he said. "Everybody put their all into The Chronic album. This was going to build a record company; this would build all our careers."

Continue Reading
MANDEL NGAN

Baltimore Cop Under Investigation For Intentionally Coughing At Residents In Public Housing Complex

The Baltimore Police Department has launched an internal investigation after an officer was filmed intentionally coughing at residents while walking through a public housing complex in Southeast Baltimore.

“The Department takes COVID-19 very seriously and we do not condone any action by our members which may be perceived as making light of the COVID-19 pandemic, ” the Department said in a statement on Monday (April 6) according to CNN.

Video footage of the incident picks up as the officer walks towards a woman who addresses him as “officer friendly with the cherry cheeks.” The officer doesn’t respond verbally but begins coughing at the woman and continues coughing without covering his mouth as he walks past numerous residents.

Baltimore police investigating video showing officer cough near residents of a housing project; at least 8 cops in the department have tested positive for coronavirus

*Language Warning*

pic.twitter.com/wnhfM0AnkM

— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) April 7, 2020

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison called the footage “disturbing.”

“It is not only disturbing, but incomprehensible, especially considering the high-level of strong and clear guidance that we have provided from the beginning, regarding COVID-19,”  Harrison said in the statement. “Members are always expected to be sensitive and professional to the community, but what we saw in the video is alarming because this pandemic is affecting lives not only nationally, worldwide, but right here in our own police department.”

The BPD confirmed on Monday that at least eight police officers and two civilian employees tested positive for COVID-19. According to WBAL-TV, 94 officers have been cleared to return to work after the department quarantined 305 officers amid the pandemic.

Continue Reading

Top Stories