Man Left In Critical Condition After Shooting During Second Evening Of Charlotte Protests

News

The second evening of protests in Charlotte resulted in the shooting death of a man just days after the police killing of Keith Lamont Scott.

READ Latinx Artists Shine On Twitter With #LatinxsCreate

According to The New York Times, police described the incident as a “civilian on civilian” crime. Little is know about the shooting, but Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney confirmed a police officer wasn’t involved. He also explained the presence of tear gas and rubber bullets towards protestors. “We’re trying to disperse the crowd. We’ve been very patient, but now they’ve become very aggressive, throwing bottles and so forth, at my officers, so it’s time for us now to restore order.”

Scott, 43, died on Tuesday (Sept. 20) by the hands of 26-year-old Brentley Vinson. The father of seven was shot in the parking lot of an apartment complex. Police claimed Scott was armed with a gun, while his family claims he was reading a book. Police officers were dressed in riot gear as they attempted to calm down protestors. Mayor Jennifer Roberts released a statement via CNN condemning the violence. She also explained the riots were coming from a small group, not peaceful protestors. “Go home and tell everyone violence is not the answer,” Roberts said. “The investigation is ongoing; it will be transparent.” She previously confirmed to reporters footage of the Scott shooting will be made public soon.

President Barack Obama spoke to Roberts, as well as the mayor of Tulsa over the phone. Terrance Crutcher was fatally shot by Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby. Crutcher was facing car troubles and had his hands in the air at the time of the fatal encounter. Shelby maintains she the pastor posed a threat. The Justice Department is now investigating the shooting.

UPDATE 09/21/2016 11:15 P.M. 

Police have corrected their announcement that a man was shot and killed in Charlotte. In a new tweet, the city says the man is in critical condition and currently on life support. Governor Pat McCroy also released a statement on the protests.

“I want to assure the people of North Carolina that our SBI has already been assisting the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department throughout the last 24 hours,” McCrory said. “Upon a very recent request of Chief Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to further help the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. The state has many additional assets nearby to assist. Any violence directed toward our citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated. I support and commend the law enforcement officials for their bravery and courage during this difficult situation.”

READ Cam Newton Salutes Colin Kaepernick’s Racial Justice Stance