El_Cajon_ONE
NBC San Diego

Police Fatally Shoot Disabled Black Man In El Cajon

To protect and serve?

UPDATE (9:30 a.m. EST): In the aftermath of the shooting and the man's death, Rumbie Mubaiwa began filming on Facebook Live (below). The video shows a distraught woman saying she called 911 to get help for the man she says is her brother. She is seen crying out loud, screaming,"They killed my brother."

UPDATE (10:30 a.m. EST): The man shot and killed by El Cajon police has been identified as Alfred Olango, and he was diagnosed with epilepsy.

---

On Tuesday (Sept. 27) El Cajon, CA police shot and killed an African American man earlier in the day after he raised his hands clasping an unknown object.

Reports allege the man “concealed his hands in his pockets, before he "drew an object from his front pants pockets, placed both hands together on it and extended toward the officers.” One officer fired a Taser while another fired rounds from his handgun.

The unidentified individual, who died sometime later at a nearby hospital, was having some sort of “episode” and police had been called to the scene by the victim’s sister, this according to DailyKos.com. Another caller told law enforcement the man was walking in traffic.

Friends of the man's family say he suffers from a mental illness and did not pose a threat to the officers. The shooting has sparked protests in the San Diego County city, just days after police shot and killed 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott.

While El Cajon police maintain the man did not have his hands up, witness Michael Rodriguez said he was exiting his apartment building when he noticed a shirtless black man with his hands in the air. Within seconds, an officer opened fire. "[Police] shot him again and again,” Rodriguez told the Los Angeles Times, adding he heard five shots.

Chief Jeff Davis declined to release video at this time, and to identify said object. No weapon was recovered at the scene.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Bad Bunny performs onstage during Calibash Los Angeles 2018 at Staples Center on January 20, 2018 in Los Angeles, California.
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Bad Bunny's "Safaera" Inspires Hilarious #AbuelaChallenge

While we're keeping social distancing in mind during the coronavirus pandemic, being at home has inspired families to dive into the unknown–abuelas jamming to Bad Bunny.

Remezcla discovered the very hilarious #AbuelaChallenge, inspired by the artist's latest track "Safaera" featuring Ñengo Flow and duo Jowell & Randy. Although there was a more rump-shaking #safaerachallenge in place, this one is way better as we watch generations bond a very 2020 way.

Originally appearing on Tik Tok, the challenge found its way to Instagram with plenty of elders getting down on the floor...or being completely over it.

Benito recently dropped his sophomore project, YHLQMDLG (Yo Hago lo Que me da la Gana) meaning "I Do What I Want" featuring guest spots by Sech, Anuel AA, Myke Towers, Arcangel and more.

Jam to it here and see our favorites from the challenge below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Yolanda Javier (@experience_24fitmom) on Mar 8, 2020 at 1:09pm PDT

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by DAVIANA ✨ (@davi__ana) on Mar 9, 2020 at 6:21pm PDT

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Jijiji #abuelachallenge #safaera #badbunny #safaerachallenge @yosoymolusco @rockythekid @badbunnypr @jowellyrandy @jowellgram @randynotagram

A post shared by ✨✨ (@babykchic) on Mar 12, 2020 at 1:31pm PDT

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Jowell & Randy (Reggaeton Duo) (@jowellyrandy) on Mar 18, 2020 at 5:58am PDT

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Nelson Jotaa (@nelsonjotaa) on Mar 17, 2020 at 3:09pm PDT

Continue Reading
Rapper Tekashi69, real name Daniel Hernandez and also known as 6ix9ine, Tekashi 6ix9ine, Tekashi 69, leaves after his arraignment on assault charges in County Criminal Court #1 at the Harris County Courthouse on August 22, 2018 in Houston, Texas.
Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images

Fashion Nova Launches $2.25 Million Lawsuit Against Tekashi69

Tekashi69 has an unlikely foe in Fashion Nova. The fast-fashion brand has taken legal action against the jailed rapper after he failed to promote their clothing.

According to TMZ, the brand claims in October 2018 they planned to roll out a series of branded social posts and with the rapper. With over 13 million followers on Instagram, Fashion Nova wanted to capitalize on his rapid popularity with hopes he would mention them in a song or two but was unaware of his legal troubles. During this time, 69, born Daniel Hernandez, was paid a $250,000 advance.

The awkward part comes next. Two weeks later, the rapper was arrested for his sex video case (more on that here), an aspect of his life the brand says they were unaware of. With his criminal troubles more popular than his music, Fashion Nova felt his trial revealed he wasn't the best person to rep the brand.

After his team failed to provide them with this information and return the advance, the brand decided to take legal action. The brand is currently suing him for $2.25 million– just a few months before his rumored released date of August 2020.

On the weird upside, the rapper is expected to release a project the same month. While his Instagram page hasn't been updated in a year, the last post was dedicated to the release of his debut album Dummy Boy. 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

YA READY FOR THE ALBUM THIS FRIDAY ‼️ WITCH ONE YOU WAITING FOR❓❓NOVEMBER 23RD 🔥⭐️💕🌈

A post shared by 6ix9ine (@6ix9ine) on Nov 18, 2018 at 2:45pm PST

Read our timeline on the infamous rapper titled Rise To Fame: A Timeline Of Tekashi 6ix9ine's Controversial Moments here. 

Continue Reading
YouTube

Alejandro Sanz And Juanes Team Up To Deliver Special Jam Session For Fans On YouTube

As concerts and festivals see cancellations across the globe, artists are thinking outside the box to provide music to their fans. Case in point, Latin legends Alejandro Sanz And Juanes put their resources together for a special live-streamed concert after both of their shows were canceled due to the coronavirus.

Both artists were slated to perform in Columbia over the weekend with Juanes's Para Todos (For All) show in Bogotà and Sanz's La Gira (The Tour) in Bogotá and Cali, respectively. With both stars residing in Miami, Sanz and Juanes linked with Art House Miami music studio to stream a special concert with a Q&A section and new performances covers.

Timed for maximum accessibility to unite fans in Europe, The United States, and throughout Latin America, “ALEJANDRO SANZ & JUANES: El Gira Se Queda En Casa Para Todos” (The Tour Stays Home For All) aired on YouTube Live Sunday (March 15).

Renowned producer Julio Reyes Copello, pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, bassist Guillermo Vadalá and very minimal studio staff were used to regulate social distancing.

The experiment kicks off a unique method of providing fans with entertainment. The artists have encouraged others to do the same in order to heal the world (at least a bit) with the sound of music.

Check out the concert above.

Continue Reading

Top Stories