terence-crutcher-screengrab
Screengrab

Tulsa Police Release Video Of Cop Fatally Shooting Unarmed Man After His Car Broke Down

Terence Crutcher was returning from a community college class before being killed. 

An unarmed Oklahoma man was fatally shot by a police officer after his car stalled on the road Friday (Sept. 16) evening. Terence Crutcher 40, was shot by a Tulsa officer not long after cops pulled up behind his SUV.

In the dash cam footage, released by the Tulsa Police Department Monday (Sept. 19), a handful of police are seen running towards Crutcher just as they arrive.  One of the officers fired a taser, before the Officer Betty Shelby, fatally shot Crutcher, the New York Daily News reports.

An officer is heard saying that Crutcher's hands were raised on the recording. The footage goes on to show Crutcher lying on the ground as cops stand in a circle around him.

He later died at a hospital.

Before being gunned down, Crutcher was returning from a Tulsa Community College music class at around 7:40 p.m., when his car stalled.

According to the Associated Press, the Tulsa Police Department said that an officer spotted Crutcher while responding to another call. The officer called for backup, while two additional cops were approached by Crutcher as they walked towards his vehicle.

Crutcher “refused to follow commands by the officers” a spokesperson for the police department said before the video was made public.

“As they approached the vehicle a black male started towards them," asserted Jeanne MacKenzie. “They continued to talk to him and he continued not to listen and follow any commands.”

She added, “Every situation is different. Officers are involved in typically fast-moving situations, and officers who choose to use force, base (those decisions) on the situation involved that they are facing."

Over the weekend, Crutcher’s family called for police to release body cam recordings, but Tulsa cops have yet to wear them — despite receiving $500,000 grant for body cameras last year.

Crutcher's twin sister, Tiffany, maintained that her brother did not have a weapon. “One fact I do know is that my brother was unarmed,” she said to the press Saturday (Sept. 17).

Two days later, at a press conference revealing the video, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan referred to Crutcher as a “suspect” while confirming that there was “no gun” on his person or in his vehicle.

“I want to assure our community and I want to assure all of you and people across the nation watching this: We will achieve justice,” Jordan said.

Shelby has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting. The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma are among those demanding that Shelby face charges.

Watch the video of the shooting below — please be warned that the footage is very graphic.

From the Web

More on Vibe

NYPD

Justice For Junior: Five Convicted In Brutal Murder Of Bronx Teen

Five men were convicted in the brutal murder of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz. A Bronx jury handed down the verdict on Friday (June 14), nearly a year to the day since the 15-year-old victim was chased down by a group of gang members, dragged out of a local bodega and viciously stabbed to death.

Martinez Estrella, Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago, Elvin Garcia, Jose Muniz and Manuel Rivera, were found guilty on all four charges, according to CBS News. The group faced first-degree murder, second-degree murder, second-degree conspiracy and second-degree gang assault.

Jurors reviewed video of Guzman-Feliz’s murder and reportedly began crying while looking at autopsy photos of the teen, described by his father as a “really good kid” who was doing well in school, and aspired to be an NYPD detective.

The five convicted murderers belonged to the Trinitarios gang, prosecutors said. Guzman-Feliz was killed after he was mistaken for a member of a rival gang. Surveillance footage from the night of the heinous murder showed Guzman-Feliz attempting to run to safety inside a Bronx bodega before being caught by the men.

Guzman-Feliz was stabbed multiple times with knives and machetes, and collapsed on his way to a nearby hospital. His death caused outrage around the globe, and launched the viral #JusticeForJunior campaign. A Go Fund Me account opened to raise money for the high schooler’s family brought in more than $340,000 in donations.

“I want to say thank you, Jesus,” the slain teen’s mother, Leandra Feliz, said after the verdict.

“I’m not going to have my son back. But those killers, those murderers, they won’t be outside killing another kid.”

Continue Reading
Brett Carlsen

Prosecutors Drop Flint Water Charges, Plan To Start New Case

Nearly four years since Flint, Michigan declared a state of emergency over the state of its water, prosecutors have decided to drop all criminal charges brought against eight government officials who were believed to responsible for the crisis, CNN reports.

Prosecutors said on Thursday (June 13) they had concerns about the investigation and legal theories suggested by the former Office of Special Counsel (OSC) who oversaw the investigation, according to a press release issued by the Michigan Department of Attorney General.

"We cannot provide the citizens of Flint the investigation they rightly deserve by continuing to build on a flawed foundation," Solicitor General Fadwa Hammoud and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, said. Prosecutors also noted that "the voluntary dismissal is not a determination of any defendant's criminal responsibility."

The Flint community reportedly feels blindsided by the decision, but the Mayor of Flint, Karen Weaver said the dismissal gives her "hope." "I am happy to see that this case is being handled with the seriousness and dogged determination that it should have been handled with from the beginning," Weaver told CNN.

Weaver also claimed the prosecution's mishandling of the case was  "an entire administration's clear lack of respect for human life and common decency, another attempt to cover up what should have never happened to begin with."

The prosecution team promises to open a new probe into the Flint Water Crisis at a later date.

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Kim Kardashian And Lyft Launch Initiative For Ex-Prisoners

Kim Kardashian returned to the White House on Thursday (June 13) to announce a new partnership with Lyft ride-share service that will benefit former prisoners, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The initiative will reportedly provide ex-prisoners with gift cards that can be used to help them find work after prison. "Everyone wants the community to be safe, and the more opportunity we have and that they have and the support that we help give them, the safer everyone will be," Kardashian said.

Kardashian's latest announcement is the latest in her ongoing criminal justice reform efforts. In June 2018, Kardashian helped get Alice Marie Johnson – a woman serving a life sentence for her involvement in drug trafficking – clemency. Since then, early reports revealed the reality star, who is currently studying to be a lawyer, has helped commute or vacate the sentences of dozens of prisoners.

"Since the passage of the First Step Act in December, I’ve been speaking with people coming home from prison and learning about the challenges they are facing," she tweeted. "While I have been able to offer support to some of the individuals I have met, the obstacles to success are an everyday struggle for thousands and more needs to be done. Today, I’m honored to be a part of the announcement that the administration and the private sector are stepping up to create opportunities for these men and women to succeed once home."

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Kim Kardashian West spoke at a White House event on felons re-entering the workforce: "These people want to work. They want the best outcome." She thanked Pres. Trump for "standing behind this issue." https://abcn.ws/2Ic1e8C

A post shared by ABC News (@abcnews) on Jun 13, 2019 at 3:59pm PDT

Since the passage of the First Step Act in December, I’ve been speaking with people coming home from prison and learning about the challenges they are facing.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

While I have been able to offer support to some of the individuals I have met, the obstacles to success are an everyday struggle for thousands and more needs to be done.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

Today, I’m honored to be a part of the announcement that the administration and the private sector are stepping up to create opportunities for these men and women to succeed once home.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories