New York Suburbs See Rise In Gang Activity
Getty Images

The Deaths Of 4 Brentwood Students Connected To Salvadoran Gang?

Four students have been found dead in less than a month from Brentwood High School in Long Island. 

Students and community members are scared to walk alone in their neighborhood of Brentwood Long Island after four students from Brentwood High School were found dead throughout different locations in their town. According to ABC News, these four deaths have been suspected to be related to gang violence.

Police have recently discovered the "skeletal remains" of 19-year-old Oscar Acosta and 15-year-old Miguel Garcia-Moran in an isolated industrial area of Brentwood. Acosta went missing earlier this summer in May and Garcia-Moran had "vanished" earlier this year in February.

Days before Acosta's and Garcia-Moran's bodies were found, 15-year-old Nisa Mickens’ brutally beaten body was discovered in the same neighborhood the day before her birthday (Sept. 13). The day of her birthday, lifelong friend Kayla Cuevas, 16, was found in a backyard of a home nearby.

Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, of Long Island were found deceased earlier this week in a possible gang-related attack. Police said Nisa (top photo) was found deceased on Tuesday, September 13, 2016. The medical examiner ruled Nisa's death a homicide, saying the cause of death was assault. She had at least 10 injuries to her head and face and she may have been struck by a vehicle. Kayla, friend of Nisa, who police say was with her the night she was killed, was reported missing. On Wednesday, police announced that a body fitting the description of Kayla was discovered in a wooded area near where Nisa was found. Police have not revealed her cause of death. Nisa's family said the teen was out with her best friend, Kayla. The two were last seen at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Kayla's house in Brentwood when Nisa's father dropped his daughter off. He returned a few hours later to pick her up but the kids weren't there. Nisa's family says that Kayla's cellphone was found next to Nisa's body in the road. Nisa and Kayla were walking in the area when Nisa's family say they believe gang members tried to kidnap Kayla. Investigators say Nisa appeared to try fighting off the kidnappers, but was killed, her body left alongside the road. Nisa was an 11th grader at Ross High School and was on the basketball team. She was wearing her basketball jersey Tuesday night. Yesterday, Nisa would have celebrated her 16th birthday. Our thoughts and sympathies are with both families as they try to cope with this unimaginable loss. Rest peacefully Nisa & Kayla. ? #nisamickens #ripnisa #kaylacuevas #ripkayla #justicefornisa #justiceforkayla #gonebutneverforgotten #restinpeace #gonebutnotforgotten #restinparadise #instamemorials #gangviolence #rip #stoptheviolence #longlivekayla #longlivenisa

A photo posted by 🎀Memorial Tributes💜 (@instamemorials) on

Students in the area have all been affected by these deaths and have been instructed by their schools to take more precaution when heading to and from school. School officials told parents that children should refrain from wearing clothing that could possibly considered gang-related. This warning followed an incident where a driver approached a freshman of Brentwood High School with a group of people in his car. The driver demanded the student give him the shirt, before setting it ablaze. The student was then told not to wear the light blue color again.

Police authorities are linking these events to the Salvadoran gang MS-13. Since 2010 there have been at least 30 murders by the gang including the murder of a Long Island woman and her son. Prosecutors allege the mother had shown disrespect to the gang and in turn they murdered her and her son, who happened to be with her at the moment.

Community members have noticed an increase in gang activities in these past few months, and school officials are trying to stay proactive and provide the children with possible involvement, counseling.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Popular Celeb Spot 'La Marina' Shut Down After Drug Bust

Adored by celebrities like French Montana, Jay-Z and Leonardo DiCaprio, New York hot spot La Marina might be closing its doors for a good after a drug bust led to a suspension of their liquor license.

A statement released Dec. 6 by the New York Liquor Authority (SLA) broke down the case, which overlapped with an investigation by the NYPD in July. Bar manager Christian Mendez, 33, was arrested in November on felony charges after he was caught selling large amounts of cocaine, oxycodone and other drugs to undercover NYPD detectives. Their investigation into the venue also revealed 72 violations of the state liquor law like selling liquor to minors and impaired customers.

Chairman Vincent Bradley and Commissioner Lily Fan condemned the venue and hope to yank their liquor license for good. “When a bar manager is able to traffic and sell these types and quantities of narcotics from within an establishment it is incredibly alarming," Counsel to the Authority Christopher R. Riano said.

“Licensees have a responsibility to ensure their establishments are operating within the law, and the SLA is obligated to take emergency action as it is clear that this licensee has failed to take any meaningful actions to protect the public.”

La Marina was also hit with sixteen violations of the ABC Law, including seven counts of operating disorderly premises for permitting the trafficking of controlled substances, six violations for fire, health and more safety code violations. Their inspection grade in July was something close to an F minus for mishandlings of food, shoddy plumbing and the presence of mice and flies.

The venue has been a staple in the area since its opening in 2012, attracting big celebrities and brands like Red Bull and HBO. The New York Post notes La Marina has a 15-year lease, where they make up to $7 million a year in revenue.

Their social presence hasn't acknowledged their current status, but their calendar for upcoming events has been scrapped from their website.

READ MORE: DJ Collective WeAreHouse78 Are Making The Best Party Ever...At 9AM

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Judge Awards Cardi B Release Without Bail After Alleged Bartender Attack

Cardi B reported to court Friday morning (Dec. 7) in efforts to resolve an ongoing court case, which stems from an alleged altercation back in August at a Queens strip club involving two bartenders named Jade and Baddie Gi.

Prior to attending court, the "Money" MC was threatened to face jail time by the judge in charge of the case if she missed today’s court date. She reportedly had a court appearance on Monday (Dec. 3) that she failed to report to.

In October, the Bronx rapper (born Belcalis Almanzar) turned herself in to authorities after being accused of orchestrating a physical attack on the servers at Angels Strip Club. Per TMZ, she was arrested for two misdemeanor charges: assault and reckless endangerment.

One of the bartenders, Jade Gi, was accused of having an affair with Cardi’s (now possibly estranged) husband, Migos member Offset. The “She Bad” rapper was released without bail. Prosecutors reportedly wanted to charge her with a $2,500 bail, but the judge felt she wasn’t a flight risk, meaning she wouldn’t leave the country before the case is over in its totality.

However, the judge did warn Cardi to have “no contact” to Baddie and Jade Gi, after he granted both an order of protection against the 26 year-old. She’s also not allowed to make any threats or comment on the two on social media.

Cardi is reportedly scheduled to head back to court sometime next month.

Continue Reading
YouTube

Premiere: Fuego And A. Chal Take Over The Strip Club In "Dancin" Music Video

Dominican trap artist Fuego has created an ode to the art of stripping with his new single “Dancin,” featuring producer and R&B extraordinaire A. Chal. The visuals for the track are laced with bright blue club lights and brief salacious interludes of voluptuous young ladies dancing provocatively.

The two are seemingly in a never-ending party in efforts to promote strip club etiquette through their tantalizing lyrics. There's no denying that Fuego's sound is reminiscent of today's prominent trap artists like Migos and Future, but he packs in a Latino flair, like his contemporaries Bad Bunny and El Alfa. The Washington D.C. native's sound is similar, but it's worth noting he's been on the scene for a while, steadily etching his mark as his musical prowess rises within hip-hop and Latin audiences.

“For some reason, I've always wanted to do a sound that American hip-hop has, and then break that my way,” he tells VIBE. “When it comes to putting stuff together and making fusions of music, I've done it all my life. When I first started out, I did reggae beats, but I was rapping over them. There’s a little more urban, hip-hop sound in the Latin community. Before, it was mad reggae. It either had to be a tropical type song or reggaeton song. I've always wanted to come out with hip-hop music."

Watch the video for "Dancin" below.

Continue Reading

Top Stories