Dr. Dre Threatens To Sue Sony Over Michel’le Biopic
Michel’le’s forthcoming biopic could be facing a lawsuit. According to TMZ, Dre’s legal sent a cease and desist letter to Sony Pictures — the company behind Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le — and threatens to sue if the film airs next week.
While Dre apologized last year for his 1991 assault on journalist Dee Barnes, he denies Michel’le’s physical abuse allegations, which will be chronicled in the film. In the letter to Sony, Dre reportedly notes that his ex never made public reference to the alleged abuse until recently.
The Beats by Dre mogul’s lawyers seek to further discredit Michel’le’s story by pointing out that she never filed a police report or received medical treatment.
During an interview with Wendy Williams last week, the 45-year-old singer detailed some of the domestic violence she says she endured from Dre and Suge Knight (although Michel’le made it clear that Knight only hit her once, because he decided she was “too little” to attack).
The mother of two, who has an adult son with Dre and a teenage daughter with Knight, explained why she stuck around despite being abused.
“I stayed because it was normal, after the first hit you don’t think they’re going to do it again,” she said of her relationship with Dre. “I didn’t call the police because I didn’t want him to go to jail, because the men where I came from were going to jail for years. I didn’t think that was a good idea.”
Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le premieres Oct. 15 on Lifetime.