Paul Ryan and Donald Trump
Getty Images

GOP House Speaker Paul Ryan Is Done Publicly Supporting Donald Trump

Following the resurfacing of the Trump Tapes, the GOP figurehead is the latest to rescind his support of Donald Trump.

After news of Donald Trump's "deplorable" comments about sexual misconduct with women (which New York's Rudy Giuliani dismissed as just "locker room talk"), the candidate took a huge blow to his presidential campaign and the Republican party as a while. As Election Day draws nearer, conservatives are still feeling the aftershocks of the PR bomb drop.

Former Republican Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has already made it known that Trump should withdraw from the race because he's unfit to be president. Sen. John McCain and Gov. George Pataki of New York have also rescinded their support. Now, House Speaker Paul Ryan is the latest to pull back on public support for Trump.

According to the Washington Post, Ryan will no longer campaign with or defend Trump in the remaining weeks leading up to the election. He reportedly made the statement on a private call with House GOP lawmakers. Instead, his spokeswoman AshLee Strong says he will "spend the next month focused entirely on protecting our congressional majorities." Ryan had already pulled out of a Wisconsin appearance with Trump, deciding instead to stand with his running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

While hosting Fall Fest in his home state of Wisconsin, Ryan addressed a crowd of heckling and booing Trump supporters to stand by his comments criticizing the Republican candidate. "There is a bit of an elephant in the room, and it is a troubling situation," he said, referencing his feelings of disgust towards the resurfaced tapes. "I'm serious, it is. I put out a statement last night, I meant what I said, and it's still how I feel."

At this time, although Ryan has vocalized his lack of public and campaign support, there is no confirmation that this means he will withhold a vote for Trump come Election Day. Watch the Fall Fest video below.

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

Mario Tama

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Responds To "Latina Thing" Joke On Fox News

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is not happy with Fox News. The U.S. Representative of New York's 14th Congressional district blasted Fox News on Wednesday (Mar. 20) after a racist joke was made about Ocasio-Cortez's "Latina thing."

The incident occurred on Laura Ingraham's show, "The Ingraham Angle" on Tuesday (Mar. 19). During a segment with Donald Trump's lawyer, Joseph DiGenova, Ingraham asked if he noticed how Ocasio-Cortez introduces herself with an accent in certain spaces.

DiGenova responded: "She does the Latina thing where she does her, you know, 'Anastasio Ocasio-Cortez.'" He emphasized his point by exaggerating the "r" in the politician's name.

Ocasio-Cortez was obviously not amused by the comment. "If by 'the Latina thing,' she means I actually do the work instead of just talk about it, then yeah, I’m doing 'the Latina thing,'" she fired back. "Unless of course, she‘s talking about being multilingual, which we know isn’t a ‘Latina thing.’ It’s a '21st-century' thing."

Ocasio-Cortez then scolded Fox News for frequently pronouncing her last name incorrectly. "By the way: Fox News likes to say my name (incorrectly) as 'Cortez,' which I can only imagine is bc that sounds more ‘stereotypically’ Hispanic + probably incites more ‘anxiety’ for them," she added. "Pro Tip: My last name is not 'Cortez,' just as theirs isn’t “Ingra” or “Carl” or 'Hann.'"

Check out Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's tweet below.

Siri, show me the brand of ‘economic anxiety’ that mocks Americans of color as unintelligent + unskilled, while *also* mocking those same Americans for speaking more languages than you: pic.twitter.com/HXBC7Osexu

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 21, 2019

By the way: Fox News likes to say my name (incorrectly) as “Cortez,” which I can only imagine is bc that sounds more ‘stereotypically’ Hispanic + probably incites more ‘anxiety’ for them.

Pro Tip:My last name is not “Cortez,” just as theirs isn’t “Ingra” or “Carl” or “Hann.”

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 21, 2019

Continue Reading
Hagen Hopkins

New Zealand Has Banned The Sale Of Semi-Automatic Guns And Riffles

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Wednesday (March 20) the nation would no longer sell semi-automatic guns and riffles. The sweeping legislation went into effect one week after an Australian man opened fire and killed 50 Muslim men, women and children.

"Today I am announcing that New Zealand will ban all military-style semi-automatic weapons. We will also ban all assault rifles," Ardern said at a press conference.

Prime Minister Arden said the new law would take effect Wednesday (March 20) at 3 PM local time and said dealers "should now cease" selling the guns.

"We will ban all high-capacity magazines. We will ban all parts with the ability to convert semi-automatic or any other type of firearm into a military-style semi-automatic weapon. We will ban parts that cause a firearm to generate semi-automatic, automatic or close to automatic gunfire," she continued.

The prime suspect in the attack reportedly obtained a gun license in 2017 and began purchasing more guns in the most following.

"This is just the beginning of the work we need to do," Ardern said.

The prime minister also noted that there are many in New Zealand who obtained their weapons legally and haven't used them for violence. She said a buyback program will be implemented at local police stations ensuring gun owners receive proper compensation for their weapon. Penalties will be put in place for those who don't participate.

The program may cost between $100 million and $200 million, but Prime Minister Arden says it's necessary "to ensure the safety of our communities."

Continue Reading
Larry French/Getty Images for SiriusXM

Donna Brazile Signs On As Fox News Contributor

On Monday afternoon (March 18), Donna Brazile inked a new contract to become a contributor for Fox News. According to Politico, the former Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairperson will provide statements on the nation's politics on Fox Business as well as the flagship cable station Fox News.

"In order for us to best decide as a people how to better protect and preserve our way of life, we need to first be able to hear what others are saying without the filter of bias and contempt," Brazile wrote in an op-ed about her decision. "Not until we once again become practiced at treating those of differing views with civility and respect can we begin to join together to solve the myriad of problems our country must overcome."

Brazile also mentions how important the upcoming 2020 presidential election is for the country, and that through her new platform, listening to the other side might disperse necessary information.

"In order for us to best decide as a people how to better protect and preserve our way of life, we need to first be able to hear what others are saying without the filter of bias and contempt," Brazile continued. "Not until we once again become practiced at treating those of differing views with civility and respect can we being to join together to solve the myriad of problems our country must overcome."

In 2016, Brazile resigned from her on-screen position at CNN on reports of collusion during Hilary Clinton's previous presidential campaign. Brazile was accused of sharing information with Clinton's team ahead of a town hall. In an attempt to get ahead of the criticism Brazile believes will come her way, she reiterated the need to have an open mind.

"There’s an audience on Fox News that doesn’t hear enough from Democrats," she said. "We have to engage that audience and show Americans of every stripe what we stand for rather than retreat into our ‘safe spaces’ where we simply agree with each other.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories