draymond-green-kevin-durant
Getty Images

Draymond Green Says He Got Over Game 7 Loss When Kevin Durant Signed With The Warriors

Fans haven't let the Warriors forget they blew a 3-1 lead with an influx of original memes.

Nobody will let the Golden State Warriors forget that they were the first team to blow a 3-1 lead to the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals this past June. That is something that should never happen, especially when you won the most games in regular season history coming into the series. Steph Curry even said, "I still haven’t gotten over Game 7. That’s something that will stay with me pretty much forever." when speaking to the USA Today  during the summer.

Draymond Green joined The Vertical Podcast with Adrian Wojnarowksi to talk a multitude of topics, from college sports to the sting that the Game 7 defeat left, and how he quickly got over it, when Durant decided to leave the Thunder and sign with the Golden State Warriors in early July. Check out his full response below.

You’ll always think about, 'Man, we blew an opportunity.' It ate away at me for a little while, and then I think on July 4th—or was it July 3rd?—whatever day it was, the 3rd or the 4th, I was like, 'Man, this sucks,' " 26-year-old Green said. "And then I got a call from [Kevin Durant’s business partner] Charlie Bell saying, 'Hey man, let’s go win some championships.' And I said, 'Oh, alright, well, there goes those feelings!' We got Kevin Durant out this deal. I’ll be just fine.So you know, it ate away at me until about then—and then it was like a silver lining."

If the Warriors did happen to beat the Cavs in June, does Durant still take his talents to the Bay area? One can wonder, but Green and the Dubs will take KD as a consolation prize. Golden State has been rolling thus far into the early parts of the season, posting a 12-2 record, while riding an 8 game winning streak.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Doug Pensinger

Disney World Could Help Revive What’s Left Of NBA Season

The 2020 NBA season could be headed for a revival. The league is in talks with Disney World to potentially restart what's left of the 2019-2020 season this summer, the NBA confirmed on Saturday (May 23).

“The NBA, in conjunction with the National Basketball Players Association, is engaged in exploratory conversations with The Walt Disney Company about restarting the 2019-20 NBA season in late July at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida as a single site for an NBA campus for games, practices and housing,” NBA Chief Communications Officer Mike Bass said in a statement.

“Our priority continues to be the health and safety of all involved, and we are working with public health experts and government officials on a comprehensive set of guidelines to ensure that appropriate medical protocols and protections are in place.”

The NBA was forced into cancellation amid the COVID-19 outbreak, specifically after Utah Jazz player, Rudy Gobert, contracted coronavirus and exposed several other plays to the disease, including teammate Donavan Mitchell.

Since then, several former and current NBA players have tested positive for COVID-19, the most recent being basketball great Patrick Ewing.

“This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly,” Ewing said upon announcing his health diagnosis over the weekend. “I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.”

Continue Reading
Karl Anthony-Towns #32 of the Minnesota Timberwolves against the Indiana Pacers at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on January 17, 2020 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Andy Lyons

NBA Star Karl-Anthony Towns' Mother Dies From COVID-19 Complications

The NBA is uniting to support Minnesota Timberwolves star Karl-Anthony Towns, after his team has announced that his mother Jacqueline Towns has died from complications from COVID-19. She had battled the disease for a month before passing away on Monday (April 13).

"Jackie was many things to many people - a wife, mother, daughter, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend," said a Towns family spokesperson in a statement released by the Timberwolves. "The matriarch of the Towns family, she was an incredible source of strength; a fiery, caring, and extremely loving person, who touched everyone she met. Her passion was palpable and her energy will never be replaced."

Towns' father, Karl Sr., also contracted COVID-19, but he has recovered from the disease.

On March 24, Towns released a video in which he revealed that his mother was placed into a medically-induced coma, and encouraged fans and viewers to take the coronavirus seriously.

Multiple players from the NBA, along with commentators and other members of the basketball community, have sent their condolences to Towns and his family.

Man... thoughts and prayers with you and the entire family @KarlTowns 🙏🏾

— Chris Paul (@CP3) April 13, 2020

Wow... I hope everybody is taking this pandemic seriously... Continue to Pray for every family through this tough time, and hold your Loved ones Close🙏🏽❤️

— Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) April 13, 2020

😢😢 damn man this hurts!! Sending love and prayers your way @KarlTowns ❤️ https://t.co/UyAz9UJdiL

— Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) April 13, 2020

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick Reportedly Hopes To Join An NFL Team In Time For 2020 Season

Colin Kaepernick is reportedly looking to return to the NFL by the start of the new football season. Kaepernick was trending on Twitter on Thursday (April 9) after a Sports Center parody account tweeted that he inked a one-year $9 million deal with the New York Jets.

The story was fake, but according to TMZ Sports, Kaepernick could be interested in becoming a member of the Jets team. While it’s not clear if the Jets would consider adding Kaepernick to the roster, the website claims that the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback plans to reach out to the Jets and other teams with hopes of getting him back on the field in time for the 2020 NFL season, which begins in September.

The 32-year-old athlete hasn’t played on a team since becoming a free agent in 2017, and devoting much of his time to social activism. In November, Kapernick participated in an ill-fated workout in front of multiple NFL teams.

“I’ve been ready for three years. I’ve been denied for three years,” Kaepernick said at the time. “So we are waiting for the 32 owners, 32 teams and [NFL commissioner] Roger Goodell to stop running. Stop running from the truth, stop running from the people. We are ready to play. We are ready to go anywhere.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories