kurtis-blow-GettyImages579353316
Getty

Kurtis Blow Praises LAPD After Health Scare: "I Died, Those Officers Saved My Life"

Rap pioneer says "people need to hear" that cops came to the aid of a black man. 

Kurtis Blow is thanking the LAPD for saving his life after a reported heart attack. The 57-year-old rap pioneer, born Kurtis Walker, collapsed in front of officers outside of a mall in Woodland Hills, Calif. last Saturday (Oct. 29).

“I died and those officer saved my life. The police saved my life, a black man,” said Walker from his hospital bed. “In this day and age people need to hear that.”

At around 9 p.m. local time, Officers Chris Verge, Pete Parra, and Calvin Hill, were responding to what was said to a robbery call that turned out to be an argument between Walker and his son at a bus stop. Walker passed out as officer approached, and they immediately jumped to help.

“I was holding his head making sure he as stable, making sure his airways were open,” Verge explained, according to L.A.'s KABC news.

The Harlem native, passed out and stopped breathing more than once, prompting officers to perform CPR until paramedics arrived, roughly five minutes later.

While the cops say they were just doing their jobs, and don't need any special recognition, had they not sprung into action, Walker is sure that he wouldn’t be alive today.

“If they got there any later, I would have died. I want to thank the officers from the bottom of my heart,” he said adding, “No pun intended.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Ja Rule Defends Himself After Fyre Festival Docs: "You Don't Know Sh*t"

Fans can't stop talking about Netflix and Hulu's latest documentaries on the tragedy of the Fyre Festival. While many blame the festival's creator Billy McFarland for the disastrous event, others are pointing the finger at Ja Rule for his involvement in the concert that would scam fans and businesses out of millions. Follow the documentaries' release, Ja blasted both streaming services and defended his role in Fyre.

"I love how ppl watch a doc and think they have all the answers," the rapper wrote on Twitter on Sunday (Jan. 20). "I had an amazing vision to create a festival like NO OTHER!!! I would NEVER SCAM or FRAUD anyone what sense does that make???"

He also noted that he had also been deceived. "I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled, hood winked, lead astray," he added. "@Hulu PAID BILLY!!! That money should have went to the ppl in the Bahamas... @netflix PAID fuck Jerry who also did all the promo for the festival... 🤔 the docs clearly have Billy at fault but let’s blame the rapper lmao ok..."

I love how ppl watch a doc and think they have all the answers... 🤦🏾‍♂️

— Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019

I had an amazing vision to create a festival like NO OTHER!!! I would NEVER SCAM or FRAUD anyone what sense does that make???

— Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019

When fans pointed out different facts in the docs that indicated wrongdoing on Ja's side, the rapper replied: "you still don't know sh*t."

As previously reported, the Fyre Festival was a music concert that was scheduled to take place in the Bahamas in 2017. It was co-founded by Ja Rule and backed by a number of social media influencers including Kendall Jenner. It became a trending topic when concert goers realized it was a scam and was not properly put together. McFarland reportedly defrauded investors of $26 million. He is now serving a six-year sentence. While Ja Rule won't likely receive jail time, he is heavily backed up in legal cases.

Check out his latest comments below.

I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled, hood winked, lead astray!!!

— Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019

@Hulu PAID BILLY!!! That money should have went to the ppl in the Bahamas... @netflix PAID fuck Jerry who also did all the promo for the festival... 🤔 the docs clearly have Billy at fault but let’s blame the rapper lmao ok...

— Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019

Continue Reading
Michael Steele

Drake's "In My Feelings" Receives Kidz Bop Treatment

After the release of Drake's chart-topping Scorpion album, his single "In My Feelings" skyrocketed to number one, so it's no surprise the City Girls assisted track received the Kidz Bop treatment.

Since 2000, the compilation LP has sold about 17 million copies and over the weekend, Kidz Bop released its 39th installment offering the world a G-rated and tween-friendly version of today's biggest hits.

Once Twitter learned Kidz Bop laid its prepubescent hands on Drake's song, there was a mixed bag of feelings. Some went along with it and commented positively, while others were frankly offended.

I just saw a Kidz Bop commercial with the Kidz Bop version of In My Feelings and I feel like a curse has been placed on me

— Jeremy (@TacticalRPG) January 10, 2019

That Kidz Bop version of In My Feelings lets me know that hell is a real place.

— Nappy Head Nietzsche (@AugustCulture) January 19, 2019

This #KidzBop version of "In My Feelings" is SENDING me! 😂 pic.twitter.com/EQzTwdbfb6

— Nicholas D. (@Creat1ve) January 18, 2019

This isn't the first time Drake's music has been Kidz Bopped. For Kidz Bop 31, "Hotline Bling" was also featured. The new 18-track album also features Cardi B's "I Like It" as well as Khalid and Normani's "Love Lies."

The lyrics to the hook received a slight change:

KiKi, do you love me/are you with me/say you'll never ever leave from beside me/cause I want ya/and I need ya/and I'm down for ya always

And when it came time for the City Girls portion of the song, they turned that down as well.

All of us kids and we hangin' in the rain/hangin' in rain/I need a black card with the code to the safe/code to the safe.

Hey, kids need love too. Watch the Kidz Bop version of Drake's "In My Feelings" below.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

R. Kelly And Sony Music Agree To Part Ways Amidst Sexual Misconduct Allegations

R. Kelly and Sony Music have reportedly agreed to part ways amidst a slew of sexual misconduct allegations, according to Billboard. This comes a few weeks after the airing of the explosive documentary Surviving R. Kelly, which chronicled the musician's highly-discussed history involving teenage girls and women.

A source reveals to the publication, "Kelly had been signed to Jive since the beginning of his career in the early 1990s, and when Jive became part of Sony BMG, he became part of the Sony umbrella. He has been under contract at RCA, a Sony subsidiary, since 2012." Protests calling for Sony to drop the Pied Piper of R&B took place outside of the company's Manhattan offices on Wednesday (Jan. 16).

After the debut of the six-part docuseries, which aired over a span of three days in early-January, several former collaborators of Kelly, including Chance The Rapper, Celine Dion and Lady Gaga, have removed their songs featuring the singer-songwriter from streaming services. Kelly is reportedly under criminal investigation in both Georgia and Illinois and is said to be a direct result of allegations made in the Lifetime documentary.

"Allegations against Kelly have been around for over a decade, and he was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008," Billboard continues. "But they have resurfaced repeatedly in recent years, with the latest arriving this month. Kelly has repeatedly denied all allegations of misconduct."

Continue Reading

Top Stories