Flint Continues To Struggle With Water Contamination Crisis
Getty Images

Michigan Thinks Delivering Water To Flint Residents Is Too Much To Ask For

“What happened to Governor Snyder’s pledge that he would work to fix Flint’s drinking water crisis?"

U.S. District Judge David Lawson ordered Michigan to deliver cases of bottled water to Flint residents in need on a weekly basis last week, but the state has since filed a motion to stay the order in the midst of the city's ongoing crisis.

The motion, filed on Thursday (Nov. 17), cites that the order requires minimum monthly costs of $10.5 million to deliver roughly 400,000 cases of water each week, which could interfere with Flint relief money dedicated to other efforts like nutritional assistance programs for kids.

“The herculean effort required by the court order would be on the magnitude of a large-scale military operation,” Anna Heaton, spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Snyder (R), told the Huffington Post in an emailed statement. “The resources to accomplish this would only be available through the activation of the National Guard or the hiring of several logistics companies.”

The state also argues that bottled water pickup has been made available in various locations throughout the city and responders have a system in place to deliver water to residents who are unable to pick it up on their own. According to attorney's claims, 90 percent of homes have water filters installed as well.

While the court order does not require the state to deliver to households with functioning water filters, Lawson noted that providing filters has not guaranteed proper installment. Testimony from residents also revealed that many have not received water through the state efforts described.

“[The plaintiffs’] evidence raises serious questions as to the efficacy of the emergency response,” he wrote. “Indeed, the endeavor of hunting for water has become a dominant activity in some Flint residents’ daily lives.”

Pastor Allen Overton of the Concerned Pastors for Social Action, a plaintiff in the lawsuit, believes that the state's decision to reject the court's decision continues to disenfranchise the Flint community. “What happened to Governor Snyder’s pledge that he would work to fix Flint’s drinking water crisis?" he said. "This action today inflicts more harm on a city that’s already hurting."

From the Web

More on Vibe

Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

French Montana Hospitalized For Series Of Medical Ailments

On Thursday (Nov. 21), medical authorities responded to an emergency call derived from French Montana's Calabasas home. According to TMZ, the "Shot Caller" rapper began to experience health ailments from nausea to an increased heart rate.

Around 1:30 p.m., the officials arrived at the scene and transported the 35-year-old entertainer to a nearby hospital. Authorities were initially responding to a call about a robbery but it was a false alarm. He then began to experience health ailments that encouraged the authorities to take him to a hospital. Details of his condition are still being kept private. The Bronx-bred, Morocco-born artist has been on the go since the charting success of his 2018 hit "Unforgettable." After filming the song's video in Uganda, Montana was inspired to provide adequate health services for over 300,000 people, AXS reports.

"Health care is kind of a privilege right now but it needs to be a right," he said to CNN. "When it comes to humanity I feel like a lot of people gotta step up to make it better." Montana continued to state the power that artists have the power to make a significant change but shy away from doing so. "I feel like a lot of artists and a lot of actors and people that have a platform like mind don't like to touch them kind of subjects because they real risky."

Happy one year anniversary to my family in Uganda 🇺🇬 cant believe we got so much done in one year !! Thank u for the opportunity💪❤️ !! pic.twitter.com/VBeGRIi6Zg

— French Montana (@FrencHMonTanA) March 14, 2018

Details are still forthcoming.

Continue Reading
Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Ralph Lauren

Kanye West To Debut ‘Nebuchadnezzar’ Opera At Hollywood Bowl

Kanye West will debut his new opera, Nebuchadnezzar, at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles Sunday (Nov. 24). The opera acts as an expression of the 42-year-old rapper’s “commitment to both his faith and ever-expanding musical palette,” according to West's record label, Def Jam.

Directed by Vanessa Beecroft, Nebuchadnezzar will feature Ye’s Sunday Service Collective, along with singer Peter Collins, and the group Infinity Song.

The production meshes elements of gospel, opera and fine art into an “innovative performance structure,” and is an original adaptation of the biblical story of the Babylonian King from the Book of Daniel. The story, set in 6th century B.C., recounts Nebuchadnezzar’s transition from “wicked, impure, self-declared ruler to a true believer who finds salvation in his faith.”

Nebuchadnezzar is the first large-scale production from West this year, outside of his Sunday Service performances. Last week, the father of four traveled to Houston where he made a guest appearance at Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church.

West and the Sunday Service choir also popped up at a Texas jail for an impromptu performance that was attended by around 200 inmates.

Tickets for Nebuchadnezzar can be purchased on Ticketmaster.com.

Continue Reading
Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images for Savage X Fenty Show

Slick Woods Reveals Skin Cancer Diagnosis

Slick Woods is battling skin cancer. The 23-year-old model revealed that she will undergo chemotherapy treatment in an Instagram post on Tuesday (Nov. 19).

Woods later confirmed to The Shade Room  that she has stage 3 melanoma, and its reportedly spreading. Woods is “fighting for her life,” according to the website.

Stage three melanoma is an advanced form of the skin cancer that can spread from the skin cells to the lymph nodes. As reported by Self.com, a 2016 medical study found that black people are less likely to contract skin cancer, but more likely to be diagnosed in later stages.

Despite the cancer diagnosis, Woods appears to be keeping her spirits up. She shared another message on Instagram this week captioned, “Stop treating me like a victim.”

The Los Angeles native, whose birth name is Simone Thompson, has worked with Fendi, Marc Jacobs, Miu Miu, Yeezy and more. She is best known for appearing in numerous fashion campaigns for Rihanna’s ever-expanding Fenty empire, even while pregnant. Woods went into labor shortly after walking in Rihanna's Savage x Fenty fashion show last year.

She welcomed her son, Saphir, in September 2018.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

How I feel about chemotherapy, shout out to everyone that gotta go through it #atleastimalreadybald

A post shared by @ slickwoods on Nov 19, 2019 at 1:31pm PST

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Stop treating me like a victim

A post shared by @ slickwoods on Nov 20, 2019 at 9:56am PST

Continue Reading

Top Stories