philando-castille-family-react-to-charges
Facebook

Philando Castile's Family React To Charges Filed

"Certainly, if I had my druthers, the penalty would be more severe," Glenda Hatchet said.

Philando Castile's family fully support the second-degree manslaughter charges filled against St. Anthony Police officer Jeronimo Yanez. Yet despite the first step towards justice being taken, Glenda Hatchet, the family's attorney, says if she had her way, Yanez would face more serious charges.

"Certainly, if I had my druthers, the penalty would be more severe," Hatchett said during a press conference Wednesday (Nov.16) "But we have to be realistic. This is what the law says and this is the charge they brought. The worst thing that could happen is that the officer is overcharged and is found not to be responsible for the charges."

Along with manslaughter, Yanez faces two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm. Castile's mother, Valerie also spoke at the press conference and said while she's thankful for all the protests that have gone on in the wake of her son's death, she wants the people of Minnesota to allow for the legal system to take over.

"We want peace," she insisted. "We don't want any protests to get outrageous."

In a separate interview, Castile's girlfriend Diamond Reynolds said in the wake of his death, life for her has been difficult. She's received harsh, hurtful comments on social media and even lost her job.

"I never asked for this to happen to me," she said, through tears. "I never asked for the negative or the positive but it has affected my life, it affected my job, it affects the way people look at me, it affects everything I do in my life."

Reynolds was thrusted into the national spotlight when she streamed the horrific aftermath of Officer Yanez  shooting Castile with their 4-year-old daughter in the backseat on Facebook Live. And while life hasn't been easy for her since the July 6 shooting, it's her daughter who keeps her spirit up and keeps her going.

"She's amazing and full of life," Reynolds said. "Like any kid, she has questions, but she's getting help.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Florida Judge Clears Record Of Man Who Overslept And Missed Jury Duty

A Florida judge made headlines last week when he sentenced a man to 10 days in jail for oversleeping and missing jury duty. Now, CNN reports the judge has cleared the young man's record.

Judge John Kastrenakes found 21-year-old Deandre Somerville in contempt of court for not showing up to jury duty during a civil trial. Kastrenakes vacated the contempt of court charge and cleared Somerville's record.

The West Palm Beach resident was originally sentenced to 10 days, 150 hours of community service, a written apology of no less than 100 words and $233 in fines. Judge Kastrenakes' decision prompted swift outrage on social media as Sommerville does not have a criminal record.

The judge reportedly reduced the sentence Friday when Sommerville appeared before the court to read the letter. "Before my hearing, I walked into the courtroom a free man with no criminal record. I left a criminal in handcuffs. This was an immature decision that I made, and I paid the price for my freedom," Somerville said while reading his letter.

On Saturday the Judge said Somerville's letter was 'moving, sincere and heartfelt " and noted that he "has been totally rehabilitated."

Kastrenakes said he ordered probation because he wanted to send a message that jury duty is "is serious business deserving of attention, respect, and adherence to their oaths." However, he said Somerville is "a thoughtful and respectful young man."

Continue Reading
Courtesy of Trinity County Sheriff's Office

A Texas Man Robbed A Bank The Day Before His Wedding To Pay For The Ring

A Texas man has been charged with aggravated robbery for robbing a bank the day before his wedding to pay for the ring and venue.

According to reports, Heath Edward Bumpus approached a bank teller at Citizens State Bank on Saturday (Oct. 4) and said he had a weapon and demanded money, which he left with.

“He basically stated that he was getting married tomorrow so he didn’t have enough money for a wedding ring that he wanted to buy and he needed to pay for the wedding venue,” Sheriff Woody Wallace said.

After learning of the robbery, Wallace posted Bumpus' photo on Trinity County Sherriff’s Facebook page in hopes the public would assist with his capture. In an ironic turn of events, Bumpus' fiancee saw the photo, called him and convinced him to turn himself into authorities.

“His fiancée, who he was supposed to marry tomorrow, was able to get in touch with him on the phone when she saw our post on Facebook. She knew it was him. She contacted him and asked him if he robbed a bank. She convinced him that she knew it was him. His picture was all on Facebook. He needed to turn himself in,” said Wallace in a video posted to his Facebook page.

Wallace said most of the money was returned, along with the clothes he threw out the window of his car and the gun he hid during the robbery.

Continue Reading
Spencer Platt

NYPD Arrests 24-Year-Old Suspect In Quadruple Homeless Homicide

There appears to be no rhyme or reason behind the vicious attacks on five of New York City's homeless, which has left not only the community but other New Yorkers shaking their heads in dismay.

According to The New York Times, Rudy Rodriguez Santos was arrested and charged in the quadruple homicide, which took place at about 2 AM Saturday (Oct. 5) in the Chinatown section of the city. Authorities have not released the names of the victims but revealed one of them was an 83-years-old man. The fifth victim has been transported to a nearby hospital.

Advocates for the homeless say there's no way to know exactly how many men and women are living on the street, however, in a 2018 tally the number was 3,588, with 62,000 men and women living in shelters.

Blocks away from the scene, police found 24-year-old Santos holding a bloody metal bar. He was reportedly taken into custody without incident.

“The motive appears to be, right now, just random attacks,” Michael Baldassano, the chief of Manhattan South Detectives said. “No one was targeted by race, age, anything of that nature.”

Santos was captured on surveillance footage approaching the area where one of the attacks took place. Another attack was recorded on a security camera. When approached by investigators, Santos identified himself in the video but didn't confess to the crime. He later asked for an attorney.

Tang Wu, a manager of the Forever Health Pharmacy at 2 East Broadway, caught the attacks on his store's camera and was flabbergasted at the callousness of it all.

“They have nowhere to live and you beat them to death,” Wu said. “How terrible.”

Continue Reading

Top Stories