Standing Rock protests against the Dakota Access Pipeline
Getty Images

Pipeline Spills Over 100,000 Gallons Of Crude Into Creek Near Dakota Access Protest Camp

The cleanup can take stretch into the Spring of 2017. 

A pipeline located in the western part of North Dakota has spilled more than 176,000 gallons of crude oil into a nearby creek, just 150 miles away from the campsite where thousands opposed the Dakota Access Pipeline.

CNBC reports a landowner discovered the spill on Dec. 5. A total of 4,200 barrels 176,000 gallons spilled from the Belle Fourche Pipeline into the Ash Coulee Creek. By Monday (Dec. 12), workers reported  983 barrels or 41,286 gallons were recovered. The remainder of the cleanup can take months, stretching into Spring 2017.  The freezing conditions in the area attributed to the leak's limited expansion.

Wendy Owen, a spokeswoman for True Companies, which owns the pipeline, says their monitoring technology failed to pick up the leak because of “the intermittent nature of the flow.” "That is our number one theory, but nothing is definitive," Owen added. "We have several working theories and the investigation is ongoing."

Since 2006, the Associated Press notes the company has reported 36 other spills of petroleum products totaling 320,000 gallons at their pipelines in Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming. Ash Coulee Creek also feeds into the Little Missouri River, but Owens assured reporters that no oil entered the river and no drinking water was affected. Protesters just two hours away at Standing Rock have been fighting for clean water and the preservation of sacred tribal lands, scoring a win for Lake Oahe, which the planned Dakota Access Pipeline would have crossed. Last week, it was announced that developer Energy Transfer Partners would not receive permission from President Barack Obama for their final steps.

The company seems to be confident the project will continue under President-elect Donald Trump. Two cows were reportedly found dead near the spill. U.S. Forest Service land, as well as privately owned land was also damaged in the spill.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman Sentenced To Life In Supermax Prison Plus 30 Years

After a three-month trial period, authorities have sentenced Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman to life in prison plus 30 years on Wednesday (July 17), CNN reports. The Mexico native faced 10 charges stemming from narcotic dealings that stretched into the United States, to other criminal activities including money laundering and murder conspiracy. He was once deemed the captain of the infamous Sinaloa Cartel.

Guzman will reportedly carry out his sentence in Colorado’s Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility, a place that the news site deemed “the highest-security federal prison” in the United States. According to The Washington Post, Guzman believes justice wasn’t served in his trial. “When extradited, I expected to have a fair trial where justice was blind and my fame would not be a factor, but what happened was actually the opposite,” he said. “The government of the United States will send me to a prison where my name will never be heard again. I will take this opportunity to say there was no justice here.”

According to CBS News, Richard Donoghue, U.S. Attorney for New York’s Eastern District, said in February that the possibility of parole was unlikely for Guzman. “his conviction is a victory for the American people who have suffered so long and so much while Guzman made billions pouring poison over our southern border." Guzman's attorney Mariel Colon said the legal team plans to appeal the ruling.

The government is also demanding that Guzman turn over $112.6 billion while a restitution fee will be solidified at a different point in time. The verdict arrives nearly two-and-a-half years since he was extradited to the U.S. from Mexico. While detained in the latter country, Guzman escaped from prison on two separate occasions before landing in captivity in the states.

Continue Reading
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Beyonce Speaks On Experimenting With A New Genre For ‘The Lion King: The Gift’ Album

Beyonce is gearing up to share a new project with fans, serving as her second output of musical content since the Emmy-nominated Homecoming documentary premiered on Netflix in April. In an interview with Good Morning America, the award-winning artist shared her vision behind The Lion King: The Gift soundtrack, which she executive produced.

“We’ve kind of created our own genre and I feel like the soundtrack is the first soundtrack where it becomes visual in your mind. The soundscape is more than just the music because each song tells the story of the film.” The compilation will arrive in tandem with the movie’s release on Friday (July 19).

On Tuesday (July 16), the tracklist was made public, featuring the vocals of Kendrick Lamar, Jay-Z, Mr. Eazi, Jessie Reyez, Tiwa Savage, and Beyonce’s first born, Blue Ivy Carter who stars in the music video for “Spirit.”

Beyonce's statement on making the songs feel tangible rings true for Donald Glover, who voices the persona of adult Simba. The Grammy Award-winning artist said one resounding song in particular put into perspective his reality of being a father and seeing his own dad within himself. “I think the ‘Circle of Life’ as a child you hear that and you’re like it’s a good song and you understand it,” he said. “But I think as a father, I was holding my son the other day and walked past the mirror and I had my glasses on and I was like, ‘I look just like my dad.’”

For director Jon Favreau, experiencing the masses' reaction to just the film's trailer was an eye-opening experience. “You know you’re working in these dark rooms and it’s out there in the world. Millions of people have access to this and you feel people come together through that and it’s the best feeling in the world,” he said.

The Lion King live-action remake plans to dominate the weekend box office beginning July 19.

Continue Reading
Karen Ducey/Getty Images

Suspect Arrested For Death Of Activist Sadie Roberts-Joseph

On Tuesday (July 16), Baton Rouge law enforcement arrested a man in connection to activist Sadie Roberts-Joseph’s death. NPR reports Ronn Jermaine Bell is suspected of murdering the 75-year-old and is believed to be a tenant in a building owned by Roberts-Joseph. Bell was overdue on $1,200 in rent. The Advocate also reports on the same day of her death (July 12), Roberts-Joseph made plans to reach out to Bell to discuss the outstanding rent.

Bell’s history within the criminal justice system dates back to 2006 when he was arrested for sexually battery of a minor. The registered sex offender, 38, was sentenced to seven years in prison. He was arrested again after his release for failure to pay a court fee.

Roberts-Joseph’s body was found in the trunk of her car and her death was initially ruled as a homicide. Authorities deemed the beloved patron passed from traumatic asphyxia, partly the result of suffocation. During the investigation, police officials discovered Bell’s DNA on Roberts-Joseph’s body and he was seen near the vehicle on video surveillance footage.

In 2001, Roberts-Jospeh established the Odell S. Williams Now and Then African-American Museum. She also founded the Community Against Drugs and Violence outlet and was deemed a “cultural legend” by the NAACP’s Baton Rouge branch. Angela Machen, Roberts-Joseph's daughter, said she hopes her mother's vision for the community and beyond continues to persevere. "All my mother ever wanted was for this community to come together," she said. "It's ironic that that happened in death. What she wanted to happen in life came to fruition in death. However, we will see to it that her legacy continues."

Bell now faces a first-degree murder charge.

Continue Reading

Top Stories