mahershala-ali-moonlight
Getty Images

Warren Beatty Receives Wrong Envelope And Awards 'La La Land' Best Picture Instead Of 'Moonlight'

Well this is awkward.

It was predicted La La Land staring Emma Stone and the ever so dreamy Ryan Gosling would sweep the 2017 Academy Awards, and while Stone took home the coveted golden statue in the leading actress category, for a quick second, many believed the Damien Chazelle film won Best Picture. But behold! Steve Harvey isn't the only one who can f*ck up big time.

In a super awkward and very embarrassing moment, two time Oscar winner Warren Beatty was joined on stage by Faye Dunaway to announce the night's big winner. As the seasoned actor and director opened the envelope he gave Dunaway a long, puzzled look before announcing La La Land. As the room erupted into an applause and the cast and director walked to the stage, La La Land producer Jordan Horowitz interrupted acceptance speeches and boldly announced an error had been made. The true winner was Moonlight.

Trevante Rhodes, who appeared visibly shocked, hugged co-star and newly minted Oscar winner Mahershal Ali once the blunder was revealed. As Barry Jenkins and the rest of the film's cast and producers took the stage, Horowitz along with the rest of La La Land had to literally hand over the awards making the moment one of the most humbling in Oscar history.

Host Jimmy Kimmel tried to quell the mood by blaming the snafu on Steve Harvey who famously read the wrong contestant as winner for Miss Universe. However, the damage had already been done. Ali spoke with The Hollywood Reporter backstage about the mix up and said when he heard La La Land won, he figured it was the correct answer.

La La Land has done so well and has resonated with so many people," he said. "When their name was read, I wasn’t surprised, and I was really happy for them. When I did see security or people coming onstage and their moment was being disrupted in some way I got really worried and then when they said 'Moonlight, you guys have won.' It just threw me, more than a bit. I didn’t want to go up there and take anything from somebody. It’s very hard to feel joy in a moment like that … but I feel very fortunate for all of us to have walked away with the best picture award. It’s pretty remarkable."

The flub is a first in Oscar history and will most likely go down as one of the most memorable, all for the wrong reasons. Relive the awkwardness below.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Wendy Williams' Estranged Husband Not Pursuing Assault Charges Against Son

Things may have gotten physical between Wendy Williams' estranged husband Kevin Hunter and the couple's son Kevin Jr recently.

According to TMZ, the two got into a physical altercation Wednesday (May 22), with the 18-year-old punching his father in the nose.

The incident took place after the daytime talk show host dropped their son off at their New Jersey home. Kevin Jr reportedly didn't know his father was at the house.

The two allegedly left their home and drove to a nearby store when things escalated after Kevin Jr confronted his father about his demands for spousal support. The elder Kevin became indignant accusing his soon-to-be ex-wife of brainwashing their son.

Things got physical when he reportedly placed his son in a headlock and to get free, Kevin Jr punched him in the nose.

The Williams household has been rife with controversy ever since Wendy filed for divorce from Kevin after 19 years of marriage. The decision came after Kevin Hunter had a baby with another woman.

Hunter spoke to TMZ and said: "I love my son very much and I will not be pursuing this matter legally. Things are not always how they appear."

Continue Reading
Billy Ray Cyrus (L) and Lil Nas X pose backstage during the 2019 Stagecoach Festival at Empire Polo Field on April 28, 2019 in Indio, California.
Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Stagecoach

Lil Nas X Gifts Billy Ray Cyrus A Maserati Because He's An Amazing Person

Prior to the success of "Old Town Road," Lil Nas X was a broke college student with $5.62 in his bank account. Now that the remix of the song, featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, has topped the Billboard Hot 100 for the seventh week in a row, the hot new rapper has money to spend, and spend he does.

It was reported by TMZ that the 20-year-old crooner gifted his collaborator the red Maserati GranTurismo that appears in the music video of their song. With the help of food delivery service Postmates, Nas X had the car delivered to Cyrus' Los Angeles home. He rolled up to Cyrus' offering up the sports car to show his appreciation for the country singer hopping on his song.

"It's yours! 'Old Town Road' number 1 — seven weeks straight," Nas X announced to Cyrus, while decked out in tan cowboy boots and a matte black cowboy hat. In the video obtained by TMZ, Cyrus is visibly shocked by his new gift. "Wait a minute there's no way! 7 weeks! Wow man! That's.... Are you kidding me?! Are you serious man?"

 

After he got over his initial shock, Cyrus and Nas X took a spin in his new whip. Whether the two took a trip down the 'old town road,' or rode "down Rodeo," at least one thing is certain, they're one of the hottest co-collaborators out right now, and can't nobody tell 'em nothing...not even those protesting Wrangler for teaming up with the rapper.

Continue Reading
In this handout photo provided by One Voice: Somos Live!, Romeo Santos performs onstage at One Voice: Somos Live! A Concert For Disaster Relief at Marlins Park on October 14, 2017 in Miami, Florida.
Photo by Rick Diamond/One Voice: Somos Live!/Getty Images

Romeo Santos Makes History As The First Latino Performer To Headline MetLife Concert

Romeo Santos is making history and his fans have the most to gain from it.

On September 21, Santos will perform at MetLife Stadium making him the first Latin artist to do so. The venue holds up to 80,00 seats, which is more than enough for Santos' fans who will go see the singer perform his recent number one album, Utopia.

The one-day event will be called, UTOPIA the Concert, and Santos, the King of Bachata has already taken to his social media to express his appreciation on being chosen to make history at the stadium.

"I've never performed in such a prestigious venue, not even when I was a part of Aventura or in my solo career," the 37-year-old said in a video posted to his Instagram account about his upcoming concert. The "Odio" singer shouldn't face too much of a challenge in filling up the MetLife stadium seats.

In 2014 he sold out two Yankee Stadium shows, the stadium holds over 50,000 people; during his Golden Tour he sold out New York's Madison Square Garden three times. His draw power is undeniably huge, so tickets may be hard to come by once they go on sale.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

21 De Septiembre #UT🌍PIATheConcert #MetLife. ¡Pendiente a mis redes para la fecha de la preventa!

A post shared by Romeo Santos (@romeosantos) on May 20, 2019 at 11:41am PDT

Fans can expect Santos to perform hits from his Utopia album, which includes records with fellow Dominican singers Frank Reyes, Anthony Santos, Monchy & Alexandria, and his former group Aventura.

Ticket information is not yet available but is to be expected soon.

Continue Reading

Top Stories