Chance-the-rapper-michael-bennet
Getty Images

Chance The Rapper Inspires Seahawks' Michael Bennett To Donate Endorsement Earnings

In addition to donating his endorsement money to the youth, he also plans to give 50 percent of his jersey sales to support inner-city garden projects.

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett isn't afraid to follow in the steps of Chance The Rapper when it comes to supporting the youth. Just days after Chance pledged to donate $1 million to Chicago Public Schools (March 6), Bennett has planned to donate his endorsement earnings to rebuild communities that often go unnoticed.

Already an advocate for women's rights and children, the player posted his pledge to his Instagram page on Thursday (March 8). "I was inspired by Chance the Rapper to 'think bigger' when he pledged one million dollars to Chicago kids and their school system," Bennett said. "So, I'll be joining him by investing in the future of our youth. The system is failing our kids, and it will be up to the community and our leaders to help keep the hope alive by focusing on improving our education system and the future of our kids. Any company that decides to invest in me, just know that you'll be investing in opportunities and providing inspiration for these families -- many who feel unnoticed or go unmentioned."

While asking for fellow players in his field to take action, Bennett also announced plans to donate half of his jersey sales to fund inner-city garden projects."I'm asking all professional athletes to join me by donating a portion of your endorsements this year to a cause of your choice," Bennett said. "We can make a difference. It's up to us to help plant seeds of hope and help fuel the future." Bennett has made headlines in the past for his social statements. In 2015, the player provided his thoughts on the Black Lives Matter movement after teammate Richard Sherman faced backlash over his own statements.

“I think the Black lives thing is more about the social injustice, not so much the injustice of people killing within the community, it’s about the social injustice of the people that is supposed to protect them, and building the community through the Black community," he said. "Not just Black people too, because you see a lot of people within the Black Lives Matter organization that are white, [Hispanic], they are all dealing with the same type of hardships that are going on around the world and I think sometimes people don’t take the time to look into thing going on in the world.”

ESPN reports Bennett recently signed a $31.5 million contract extension. Aside from his future donations to the youth, Bennett also has his own foundation that looks to end childhood obesity with nutritional programs and activities like community bike rides.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Vic Mensa Apologized To XXXTentacion's Mother Over BET Freestyle Diss

Vic Mensa sparked controversy earlier this year after he took jabs at XXXTentacion's abusive past during a freestyle at the 2018 BET Hip-Hop Awards. Many criticized the timing of his diss, saying he shouldn't have said it while X's mother was in attendance to accept her son's award. While Vic stated that he doesn't regret his comments, he admitted that he did apologize to X's mom.

"I actually reached out to his mother personally,” the rapper said during an appearance on radio's "The Breakfast Club" on Monday (Dec. 10). "I apologized to her because I didn’t know she would be in attendance… I wouldn’t walk back any of my statements because what I said, I meant. And some more truth came to light not long after."

He also mentioned that although his timing was inappropriate, his talking points were important and necessary. "At the end of the day, I do think that the conversation that I was trying to bring up and that I did bring up is a super necessary conversation," he continued. "Maybe the way of going about it was not the best for the time, but I think the conversation is one that had to be had – talking about violence against women and misogyny in hip-hop, but particularly violence against women. I had a lot of people on the low reach out to me and thank me for that."

As previously mentioned, XXXTentacion was accused of physically abusing his then-pregnant, ex-girlfriend. Vic's freestyle included the lines: "Only time you bear arms is in a wife beater, loser/Your favorite rapper is an abuser." Weeks after the viral diss, audio obtained by Pitchfork, revealed the rapper admitting to committing physical harm against her and others.

Check out Vic Mensa full interview above.

Continue Reading
Vivien Killilea

Romeo May Have Landed A Role In 'Bad Boys For Life'

Bad Boys 3 is officially going down, and there's going to be a lot of new changes. The biggest change seems to be major additions to the film's cast. In fact, Romeo Miller recently hopped on social media on Tuesday (Dec. 11), suggesting that he could be the newest addition to the Bad Boys team.

Romeo shared a photo of an email for a callback to the Bad Boys set on his Instagram Stories on Dec. 11. "When you get callbacks and opportunity to work alongside your idols, @martinlawrence and @willsmith, you go study and go ghost," the rapper-turned-actor said, mentioning stars Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.

Romeo isn't the only hip-hop star to possibly land a role in the forthcoming movie. Nicky Jam also suggested he was going out for a part during an interview with TMZ in Nov. 2018. "I actually came her because I'm doing a casting for a movie," he said at the time.

As previously reported Will Smith and Martin Lawrence announced that the third installment of the Bad Boys franchise is finally happening after years of negotiating. The upcoming film, entitled, Bad Boys For Life, is expected to premiere in Jan. 2020.

Check out Romeo's post below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Looks like #Romeo May be joining the #BadBoys3 crew! Are y’all here for it, #Roomies!?

A post shared by The Shade Room (@theshaderoom) on Dec 11, 2018 at 10:13am PST

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Safaree Says He's Over His Beef With Meek Mill: "He Ain't On No B.S"

Safaree is ready to leave the ill feelings in 2018. In a forthcoming episode of BET's Rants, Safaree dished about his previously beef with Meek Mill, insisting that he was way over the drama.

During the episode, Safaree addressed Meek's new attitude and maturity level. "As far as Meek—and I can see in Meek and everything he does now—he's way more mature than he was even a year ago," Safaree said. "From what he's been through, I can tell he ain't on no B.S. because when I hosted the BET Pre-Awards and all that, [Rick] Ross was there. Me and Ross, we spoke, we chopped it up and Meek was right there."

He also stated that he's moving on and focusing his energy elsewhere. "It was what it was. The s**t happened. Ain't nobody die. I'm over that."

As previously reported, Safaree and Meek's beef started in 2017, over what seemed to be the common denominator: Nicki Minaj. Meek started dating the rapper after her 10-year long romance with the Love & Hip Hop star.

Things escalated after Safaree accused Meek and his crew of jumping him during the 2017 BET Awards weekend in Los Angeles. Footage taken during the incident shows Safaree talking to some people at the same time that Meek hops out of his vehicle a couple of feet away. Soon after, someone is seen throwing a punch at Safaree. At the time, Safaree called Meek the "biggest pu**y on the planet, but he clearly has a change of heart now.

It's unclear if Meek and Safaree have officially made up, but this wouldn't be the first reconciliation that happened involving the CHAMPIONSHIPS artist. He previously made up with Drake in Sept. 2018.

Safaree's episode of Rants airs on BET on Dec. 11.

Continue Reading

Top Stories