World Bank Building Closes Due To Bomb Threat
Getty Images

D.C. Police Official Reportedly Says Teens Should "Stay Home" To Not Become A Victim Of Human Trafficking

The law enforcement official says that no evidence has become apparent to support notions of human trafficking.

Earlier this month, Washington D.C.'s police department beefed up their efforts to help find a bevy of missing black and latinx teenagers by sharing their images and information on social media. According to NBC Washington, out of the 20 missing people whose images were posted online since March 19, 10 of them are adolescents. The site adds that six of those missing children were found and investigations into locating the other four people are still ongoing.

The concerning news of those absent kids -- majority are girls -- sparked a call for action across the nation, igniting town hall meetings on what should be done to return these teens to their homes. According to the Associated Press, members of the Congressional Black Caucus called upon the Justice Department to act swiftly and effectively on the matter, and to "devote the resources necessary to determine whether these developments are an anomaly or whether they are indicative of an underlying trend that must be addressed." AP adds that missing child cases dropped from 2,433 in 2015 to 2,242 in 2016 within D.C.

Radio host Joe Clair recently spoke with Chanel Dickerson, a leader of the D.C. Police Youth and Family Services Division, on the situation. During the morning show program, Clair asked the official for background information on why the number of missing children drastically increased in a short amount of time. Dickerson stated that most of these cases involve children who run away from home, but their reasoning for doing so is still unknown.

"I have no idea, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it," Dickerson said. "I'm trying to solicit help from communities and faith-based organizations to find out the root cause why so many young people in our city are voluntarily leaving home."

Dickerson was then asked what are a few precautionary solutions that could help keep a child from becoming a victim of human trafficking. "Stay home, it's as simple as that," Dickerson said. "If they stay home, it reduces the risk. I'm not saying that's the fix-all but that's where we have to start. We have to start small, this is a problem and it'll take a community effort, but we have to start small."

The statement garnered puzzled responses from social media users, including D.C. rapper Wale.

Concerns of a human trafficking epidemic brewing in the nation's capital became a topic of conversation and consideration when the news of the missing teens surfaced. According to police spokeswoman Karimah Bilal, that is not the case. "Because of the number of releases, there have been concerns that young girls in the District of Columbia are victims of human trafficking or have been kidnapped," Bilal said. "We look at every case closely to make sure that doesn't happen, but to my knowledge, that hasn't been a factor in any of our missing person cases." Dickerson adds that law enforcement officials have "no evidence in any of these cases that anyone was kidnapped or is the victim of sex trafficking."

A mixture of pleas for help to separating false information from the facts appeared on social media websites, showcasing that this issue must be approached with caution and action.

I've had Metropolitan Police (aka DC police) officers in my texts and emails all day. Here's what's been explained to me by FOUR different officers: Earlier this year, the new police chief (acting since September 2016, appointed officially at the end of Feb.) started an initiative to share information about missing PEOPLE of all colors and sexes on social media as it's the quickest way to spread photos and information about missing persons. The change has brought greater awareness about missing PEOPLE in DC, black girls being among that group. Yes. There are black girls missing. And even ONE child missing is cause for great concern. But there is no sudden spike in the numbers. And for 2017, all of the missing teens, boys and girls, that have been found -- most of the reported missing have been-- left voluntarily. The police force does not fear there is increased organ harvesting, human trafficking, kidnapping, serial killer, etc. in the area. Again, there is no spike in the numbers of missing PEOPLE, including black girls. And yes, I know this runs contrary to most of what you've been seeing on social media. And there is no compelling reason to take the word of a writer with anonymous sources (officers can't give interviews on record without going thru substantial red tape). But I'm not the only one researching and talking to folk on the ground. NBC Washington has a break down of the story and says the EXACT same thing the officers have been telling me all day. Check it out in my profile. The article also explains the lack of Amber alerts, which I know was a compelling concern for many. READ THE ARTICLE. Let me know your thoughts. #bringbackourgirls #bringbackourboys • Also, The Wire character is "Slim Charles". Long before the show, he was forever (and will forever be) known as "Big G" in DC. My bad for combining the names. The other stuff still stands.

A post shared by Demetria Lucas D'Oyley (@demetrialucasdoyley) on

Here's the FACTS about these 'Missing DC girls' ##SwipeForFacts

A post shared by Nic (@nicole_hardesty) on

From the Web

More on Vibe

NYPD

Justice For Junior: Five Convicted In Brutal Murder Of Bronx Teen

Five men were convicted in the brutal murder of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz. A Bronx jury handed down the verdict on Friday (June 14), nearly a year to the day since the 15-year-old victim was chased down by a group of gang members, dragged out of a local bodega and viciously stabbed to death.

Martinez Estrella, Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago, Elvin Garcia, Jose Muniz and Manuel Rivera, were found guilty on all four charges, according to CBS News. The group faced first-degree murder, second-degree murder, second-degree conspiracy and second-degree gang assault.

Jurors reviewed video of Guzman-Feliz’s murder and reportedly began crying while looking at autopsy photos of the teen, described by his father as a “really good kid” who was doing well in school, and aspired to be an NYPD detective.

The five convicted murderers belonged to the Trinitarios gang, prosecutors said. Guzman-Feliz was killed after he was mistaken for a member of a rival gang. Surveillance footage from the night of the heinous murder showed Guzman-Feliz attempting to run to safety inside a Bronx bodega before being caught by the men.

Guzman-Feliz was stabbed multiple times with knives and machetes, and collapsed on his way to a nearby hospital. His death caused outrage around the globe, and launched the viral #JusticeForJunior campaign. A Go Fund Me account opened to raise money for the high schooler’s family brought in more than $340,000 in donations.

“I want to say thank you, Jesus,” the slain teen’s mother, Leandra Feliz, said after the verdict.

“I’m not going to have my son back. But those killers, those murderers, they won’t be outside killing another kid.”

Continue Reading
Brett Carlsen

Prosecutors Drop Flint Water Charges, Plan To Start New Case

Nearly four years since Flint, Michigan declared a state of emergency over the state of its water, prosecutors have decided to drop all criminal charges brought against eight government officials who were believed to responsible for the crisis, CNN reports.

Prosecutors said on Thursday (June 13) they had concerns about the investigation and legal theories suggested by the former Office of Special Counsel (OSC) who oversaw the investigation, according to a press release issued by the Michigan Department of Attorney General.

"We cannot provide the citizens of Flint the investigation they rightly deserve by continuing to build on a flawed foundation," Solicitor General Fadwa Hammoud and Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, said. Prosecutors also noted that "the voluntary dismissal is not a determination of any defendant's criminal responsibility."

The Flint community reportedly feels blindsided by the decision, but the Mayor of Flint, Karen Weaver said the dismissal gives her "hope." "I am happy to see that this case is being handled with the seriousness and dogged determination that it should have been handled with from the beginning," Weaver told CNN.

Weaver also claimed the prosecution's mishandling of the case was  "an entire administration's clear lack of respect for human life and common decency, another attempt to cover up what should have never happened to begin with."

The prosecution team promises to open a new probe into the Flint Water Crisis at a later date.

Continue Reading
Alex Wong

Kim Kardashian And Lyft Launch Initiative For Ex-Prisoners

Kim Kardashian returned to the White House on Thursday (June 13) to announce a new partnership with Lyft ride-share service that will benefit former prisoners, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The initiative will reportedly provide ex-prisoners with gift cards that can be used to help them find work after prison. "Everyone wants the community to be safe, and the more opportunity we have and that they have and the support that we help give them, the safer everyone will be," Kardashian said.

Kardashian's latest announcement is the latest in her ongoing criminal justice reform efforts. In June 2018, Kardashian helped get Alice Marie Johnson – a woman serving a life sentence for her involvement in drug trafficking – clemency. Since then, early reports revealed the reality star, who is currently studying to be a lawyer, has helped commute or vacate the sentences of dozens of prisoners.

"Since the passage of the First Step Act in December, I’ve been speaking with people coming home from prison and learning about the challenges they are facing," she tweeted. "While I have been able to offer support to some of the individuals I have met, the obstacles to success are an everyday struggle for thousands and more needs to be done. Today, I’m honored to be a part of the announcement that the administration and the private sector are stepping up to create opportunities for these men and women to succeed once home."

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Kim Kardashian West spoke at a White House event on felons re-entering the workforce: "These people want to work. They want the best outcome." She thanked Pres. Trump for "standing behind this issue." https://abcn.ws/2Ic1e8C

A post shared by ABC News (@abcnews) on Jun 13, 2019 at 3:59pm PDT

Since the passage of the First Step Act in December, I’ve been speaking with people coming home from prison and learning about the challenges they are facing.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

While I have been able to offer support to some of the individuals I have met, the obstacles to success are an everyday struggle for thousands and more needs to be done.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

Today, I’m honored to be a part of the announcement that the administration and the private sector are stepping up to create opportunities for these men and women to succeed once home.

— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 13, 2019

Continue Reading

Top Stories