Mother Blames Death Of Infant Son On T-Mobile Tying Up 911 Line

Dallas native Bridget Alex says her babysitter was on hold with 911 operators for over 30 minutes due to T-Mobile ghost calls. 

A mother from Dallas, Texas is mourning the loss of her son after a series of glitches tied up the city's emergency lines. Bridget Alex says her son Brandon died after her babysitter tried several times to get ahold of a 911 operator after the child fell and didn't wake up.

Fox 29 San Antonio reports Alex was attending the funeral of her nephew Saturday (March 11) when her babysitter called about Brandon. "I said, 'Why you couldn't call 911?' she said, 'I am calling 911. They are not answering their phones.'" Alex says she raced home to take Brandon to the hospital herself, but it was too late. Brandon was taken to two hospitals but passed. The babysitter's call log revealed she called 911 three times–the last time she was on hold for 31 minutes.

The issues had to do with ghost calls from T-Mobile numbers constantly calling the line. Since the operators had to call every number back, many of those who actually needed the emergency line were put on hold or disconnected. Sadly, Brandon wasn't the only victim last weekend. Yahoo reports a man died after his husband David Taffet tried to get in contact with 911. He was also disconnected while calling and didn't get to speak to an operator until 20 minuted after the call.

"I just want y'all to tell me why didn't you respond to my son? That's all I want to know, is why," Alex said. "At the end of the day, I'm still going to be here hurt," Alex said. "Because he will not be here. I'm not going to see him or smell him or touch me or kiss him ever again."

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings also blamed T-Mobile for the deaths. "It is outrageous that T-Mobile still has not resolved the ghost call issue that is putting Dallasites in danger by clogging our 911 system," Rawlings said. "I'm in full agreement with our city manager that our citizens deserve better. This issue not only puts paying T-Mobile customers at risk, but it jeopardizes the safety of people throughout our city.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere tells reporters the company's  “top engineers” are heading to the city to fix the problem.

UPDATE (March 17, 12:18 p.m.):

A GoFundMe was established by Brandon's family to assist in funds for a proper burial. You can donate here.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

What We Know About R. Kelly's Sexual Abuse Charges

R. Kelly was indicted on 10 charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse on Friday (Feb. 22). During a press conference held late Friday afternoon, prosecutors detailed each of the charges. R. Kelly's case involves four alleged victims, almost all of which were under the age of 17 at the time of sexual contact.

Here is what we know so far.

1. The first victim is identified by the initials HW, who is believed to have had sexual relations with Kelly from May 1998 to 1999. The charge was determined by the fact that during the time of their sexual encounters, HW was under the age of 17 while Kelly is alleged to have been more than five years older.

2. RL is the second victim that has been identified by prosecutors, who is believed to have been sexually involved with R. Kelly from 1998 to 2001. RL was believed to be under the age of 17, while Kelly was at least five years older.

3. The third victim, identified as LC engaged in sexual intercourse on Feb. 2003. The count was determined by semen found on the body for the purpose of "sexual gratification."

4. The fourth and final victim, identified under the initials JP, was involved in sexual incidents with the accused from 2009 to 2010. The charge was determined by JP being under the age of 17 while R. Kelly was believed to more than five years older.

Continue Reading
Getty Images | Kevin Fox

New England Patriots Owner Robert Kraft Reportedly Charged For Soliciting Prostitution In Florida

Owner of the New England Patriots, Robert Kraft, is reportedly being accused of two counts of soliciting prostitution in two separate instances at a Florida day spa, CNN reports.

In a recent press conference, Police Chief Daniel Kerr stated that Kraft’s charges stem from two separate visits he made to the Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Fla. However, a spokesperson for the NFL team denied all the charges against Kraft. "We categorically deny that Mr. Kraft engaged in any illegal activity. Because it is a judicial matter, we will not be commenting further," the organization said.

Local authorities still confirm that the accusation is in conjunction with recent events that have taken place at the establishment, which also accused 20 other people of the same crime. According to Kerr, there is video evidence. The authorities involved in the crackdown revealed they wore body cameras during the operation.

Additionally, the police were involved in constant surveillance of the location. Authorities said they're not planning to release any video footage or documented evidence as of yet.

Kraft has been the owner of the Patriots since 1994. Further details for this story are pending.

Continue Reading
Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images

Tidal Announces Tidal Unplugged Program For Upcoming Artists

The Jay-Z owned streaming service is launching Tidal Unplugged, a program geared toward rising artists. The program has been bestowed with a $1 million fund, courtesy of its donors, venture capitalists and philanthropists, Mark Lampert and Robert Nelsen. The goal of the program is to gather emerging artists and provide them with support and tools to advance their music careers.

The selected, local artists will begin the program in Detroit, where Lampert's grandfather started his music career and will receive a grant that can cover necessary equipment, time in the studio, as well as living expenses amongst other things. There are plans to expand Unplugged to other locations, but as of right now it's solely in the Motor City.

"Kicking it off in Detroit, we're giving artists the means and resources to pursue their passion," Tidal said about Unplugged. "This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity allows aspiring musicians to dedicate more time and energy to seeking a career as an artist."

Unplugged will also allow the artists to maintain complete ownership of their recording masters from the four songs they will record when they make it to the first stage of the program. Additionally, Tidal plans to help the musicians with the distribution and promotion of their music, as well as help the artists prepare for a TIDAL Unplugged showcase concert later this year in November.

 

Detroit, welcome to TIDAL Unplugged. Up-and-coming artists are getting the opportunity to give their all to their music with our new artist grant program. Submissions open March 1. https://t.co/krL3l8HHGg pic.twitter.com/w30fElrp6N

— TIDAL (@TIDAL) February 21, 2019

Tidal Unplugged is calling for musicians of all genres in the birthplace of Motown Records, however, the announcement states that all submissions must be a cappella or performed acoustically with minimal use of digital components.

Detroit-area artists can apply for the program on Tidal's official website or here, starting on March 1, 2019. Finalists will be announced in May 2019.

Continue Reading

Top Stories