wake-forest-student-suspended
CBS North Carolina

Protests Erupt After Student Gets Suspended Following Repeated Racial Harassment

Micah Speed, 15,  was seen on video pulling another student to the floor after alleging he'd been racially harassed several times.

A Wake Forest High School student claims he couldn't take the racial harassment anymore, which is why footage shows the 15-year-old dragging another student to the floor.

Last week, Micah Speed was originally given a 10-day suspension but it was later reduced to five after support for the sophomore grew online. Speed's mother Yolanda spoke with The News & Observer and said while she doesn't condone her son's behavior, she's disappointed with the faculty's lack of action after Micah repeatedly told them about the racists comments being made.

“If the video had not gone viral, the light would not have been shone,” Yolanda said. “We’ve been talking about inappropriate conversations about race in the class for weeks.”

The incident in question occurred after a student showed Micah a video of shotguns being fired and allegedly then told Micah to imagine the targets as his family. It was at this moment the high school sophomore reacted.

“As I told him, ‘If you had not put your hands on him, you would not have been suspended at all,” Yolanda said. “But if you hadn’t, light would not have been shone on these teachers. If you don’t stop what’s going on in your classrooms, you’re a willing participant.”

Yolanda was told the other student was disciplined but was not suspended. Since Speed's suspension, a Change.org petition began and received 1,500 signatures, and on Monday about 100 students participated in a protest rallying for Speed to return to class. The school's spokeswoman Lisa Luten said extra security was provided to ensure parents their child's safety wasn't in jeopardy.

Watch the altercation below.

From the Web

More on Vibe

John Moore

Sandy Hook Elementary Evacuates After Bomb Threat On 6th Anniversary Of Mass Shooting

Sandy Hook Elementary School was reportedly forced to evacuate its students and administration on Friday (Dec. 14), after receiving a bomb threat, CNN reports. The incident occurred on the sixth anniversary of the school's tragic mass shooting.

Newtown, Connecticut Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde stated that the threat didn't appear to be substantial, but they decided to  evacuate the facility as an extra precaution.

Bomb squads reportedly swept the school and surrounding area for explosive devices but did not discover anything on the property. They later concluded that there was no immediate threat. The school administration dismissed students and faculty for the rest of the day however, considering the previous incident.

As previously noted, Sandy Hook endured a horrific mass shooting on Dec. 14, 2012, in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult, staff members.

Earlier this month, thousands of documents were released about Lanza that revealed his mental state and social status in the years leading up to the shooting.

The shooting is not believed to be in connection to the recent string of bomb scares around the nation that targeted major politicians including the former first families Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Continue Reading
Scott Olson

North Carolina Prosecutors Say Teen Would Still Be Alive If Cops Pursued Evidence From 2016

North Carolina prosecutors have placed blame on local law enforcement stating had police pursued evidence, 13-year-old Hania Aguilar would still be alive.

Robeson County District Attorney Luther Johnson Britt spoke with reporters Wednesday (Dec. 12) and said authorities were able to link suspect Michael Ray McLellan to an unrelated rape case for about a year but failed to take action.

"This hurts," Britt said. "This is like taking a punch to the gut and not being prepared to get it."

McLellan has been charged with first-degree murder and a host of other charges related to the kidnapping, rape, and murder of the teen. He's being held without bail. Last month, Hania was kidnapped from her driveway by the 34-year-old and forced into a relative's vehicle.

The eighth grader's body was found last week in water and the SUV was found less than 10 miles away from her body. Britt told CNN with the help of an interpreter he spoke to the teen's mother and explained their daughter wouldn't be coming home.

"It was a difficult conversation to have with her," he added. "Maybe the most difficult conversation I've ever had with a victim's family -- to tell them that had this information been followed up on -- her daughter might be alive."

Sheriff Burnis Wilkins said the department would launch an internal investigation.

READ MORE: Time's Up Legal's Defense Fund Is Throwing A Star-Studded ebay Auction

Continue Reading
Drew Angerer

Incoming Attorney General Letitia James Planning Investigation Of Donald Trump And Co.

Incoming New York Attorney General Letitia James is planning a sweeping investigation of Donald Trump, his family and anyone associated with the president.

While speaking with NBC News, James said she will use every corner of the law to look at any illegal activity committed.

“We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well," James said.

Specifically, James will investigate any illegal activity associated with the president's New York real-estate holdings, including the 2016 meeting with a Russian official at Trump Tower and any government subsidies he's received.

"We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law,” the Democratic attorney general said.

After James announced her forthcoming investigation, Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen will face the music for lying to Congress and violating campaign laws. Cohen faces four years in prison.

READ MORE: Donald Trump "I'm The Least Racist Person...That I Can Tell You"

Continue Reading

Top Stories