Twitter Loved Rick Ross' Reaction To Wale's Turkey Twitter Loved Rick Ross' Reaction To Wale's Turkey
Getty Images

Rick Ross Maintains Self-Defense In Kidnapping, Assault Case

The MMG boss appeared in a Georgia court on March 24. 

Rick Ross is hoping to get assault and kidnapping charges  dismissed. The 41-year-old rapper appeared in a Georgia courtroom Friday (March 24) for allegedly pistol-whipping groundskeepers at his Atlanta mansion, two years ago.

Rozay, born William Roberts, maintains self-defense amid accusations that he attacked Leo Caceres and Jonathan Zamudio. The men claim Ross beat them during an argument.

Prosecutors charged the MMG rapper and his manager, Nadrian James, with aggravated assault, aggravated battery and kidnapping. Both Ross and James took the stand on Friday, while DJ Khaled was on hand to show support.

According to James, the 2015 altercation erupted after Ross discovered that the workers had several people at his guest house. James said that he didn't see Ross attack anyone, and denies kidnapping claims.

Ross wants the case tossed on grounds that he was merely defending himself.

Meanwhile, prosecutors allege that Ross gave the men permission to host the family party (where at least two children were present), and that they “basically lived in the guest-house full time.” Ross is also accused of “waving a gun” at a woman who attempted to leave the party with her daughter.

“They exit the guest house and the defendant William Roberts was waving the gun at herself as she was seated in the car with her child,” said a prosecutor in the case.

An attorney for the MMG boss told a complete different story. “It was pitch black in this room,” lawyer Steve Saddow said. “He [Ross] calls out and no one responds. Mr. Ross is feeling his way against the wall and as he gets over here, somebody touches him. He immediately reacts by reaching out and hitting that person.”

Surveillance video from the night of the altercation was played in court  WSB-TV reports. The judge also warned Ross against using social media to comment about the case, and prosecutors.

Another hearing is scheduled for April 4.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Carmelo Anthony Braces For "Next Chapter" With Portland Trail Blazers

Rocking a No. 00 jersey, Carmelo Anthony will have all eyes on him when he takes the court as a Portland Trail Blazer this evening (Nov. 19). The match-up will take place against the New Orleans Pelicans, not only continuing both teams' pursuit of a championship title, but also Anthony's return to form.

"Carmelo is an established star in this league that will provide a respected presence in our locker room and a skill set at a position of need on the floor," the Oregon team's president Neil Olshey said in a statement published by ESPN.

The news, which arrived earlier this month, has been a long time coming for the native New Yorker who consistently expressed his desire to play pro-basketball again. Previously, the 35-year-old played for the Houston Rockets before seeking a new home within the league. According to ESPN, it's been over a year since Anthony played in the NBA.

Anthony's family also wished him well on his journey per an Instagram post from Power co-star LaLa Anthony.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

He is his dad’s #1 fan & super excited for this new opportunity...but when it’s all said and done, he’s still a 12yr old that is going to miss his dad 😢🙏🏽🏀Portland you got a great one 🏀🙏🏽#portlandtrailblazers #stayme7o

A post shared by ℒᎯ ℒᎯ (@lala) on Nov 17, 2019 at 2:24pm PST

MELO WILL BE ACTIVE FOR PORTLAND'S GAME TONIGHT!!!pic.twitter.com/Q9VpDARAeZ

— SLAM (@SLAMonline) November 19, 2019

Continue Reading
Getty Images

Roc Nation Denies Jay Z's "Disappointment" In Colin Kaepernick's NFL Workout

Everyone has an opinion on Colin Kaepernick's current strife with the NFL but Jay Z isn't one of them.

Several reports over the weekend indicated how the mogul felt "disappointed" in Kaepernick, whose audition for the NFL turned into a very messy sideshow. Kapernick changed the location of his workout in Atlanta, which was oddly scheduled 24 hours before Sunday Night Football. “I’m a little bit pessimistic because I’ve talked to all 32 teams,” Kaepernick’s agent Jeff Nalley told CBS. “I’ve reached out to them recently, and none of them have had any interest. I’ll tell you this: No team asked for this workout. The league office asked for this workout.”

The workout was scheduled for Saturday at 3 p.m. but was moved from the Falcons' practice facility to Charles R. Drew High School in Riverdale by Kaepernick. It's not known when the workout was initially planned but it has happened just a few weeks after the NFL and Jay Z suffered backlash and criticism for their philanthropic partnership. The workout was reportedly intended to showcase Kapernick's abilities to showcase his skills to teams, showing he has the skills and mindset to play again.

Despite no one asking for the workout, it still happened with the presence of a waiver that included murky language that reportedly blocks the activist from taking legal action against the league in regard to his claims of collusion. Kaepernick previously filed an NFL Players Association grievance, calling out the league's collusion against him for protesting during the National Anthem. NBC Sports Mike Florio and Chris Simms discussed the ins and outs of the waiver which was also given Kaepernick's team just days before the workout.

All of this leads to Sunday's reports that Kaepernick supporter and Roc Nation honcho Jay Z was "disappointed with Colin's actions and believes he turned a legitimate workout into a publicity stunt." Oddly enough, the same quote was reported by Sports Illustrated, TMZ and XXL as original reporting (which is a mystery in itself). Nearly 24 hours later, Roc Nation released a statement by way of Twitter that said, "A source at Roc Nation tells us JAY-Z (@S_C_) hasn’t spoken to any sources."

A source at Roc Nation tells us JAY-Z (@S_C_) hasn’t spoken to any sources.

— Roc Nation (@RocNation) November 18, 2019

In somewhat positive news, Kaepernick's workout tape was sent to all 32 teams despite him refusing to sign the mystery waiver. In a matter of days, the narrative quickly shifted from the NFL and Kaepernick to the Jay Z and Kaepernick, allowing the league to slide away from the nightmare they seemingly created.

Your browser does not support iframes.

You can read the waiver below.

Continue Reading
: A man passes by a Chick-fil-A July 26, 2012 in Springfield, Virginia. The recent comments on supporting traditional marriage which made by Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy has sparked a big debate on the issue.
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Chick-fil-A To Cease Donating To Organizations Accused Of Anti-LGBT Beliefs

On Monday (Nov. 18), fast-food giant Chick-fil-A published a statement that signaled the end of its donations to two companies accused of supporting anti-LGBT beliefs. According to CNN, the popular chain restaurant once supported the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and the Salvation Army, both of which have been criticized for anti-LBGT rhetoric in its employee applications or using the Bible as a means of condemnation.

In a statement made by the restaurant's president and chief operating officer Tim Tassopoulos, the decision, however, will still take into consideration all organizations, "faith-based or non-faith-based." The United States' third-largest fast-food chain (McDonald's, then Starbucks), will now focus its donations on outlets that place issues like homelessness, education, and hunger at the forefront.

"We're saddened to learn that a corporate partner has felt it necessary to divert funding to other hunger, education and homelessness organizations—areas in which the Salvation Army, as the largest social services provider in the world, is already fully committed," a statement from the Salvation Army reads.

In a May 2019 interview with Business Insider, Chick-fil-A's executive director of its foundation, Rodney Bullard, said partnering with an LGBT organization would have to be "authentic" and "impactful" for both parties to reach its goals.

"Would it be authentic for us to partner with that organization? For them to partner with us? And for us to get work done?" Bullard questioned. "I think those are the things that we would definitely consider and be mindful of. Would we do it just for reasons that weren't authentic? No, we wouldn't do that."

The statement arrived five years after the company's CEO, Dan Cathy, expressed controversial thoughts on same-sex marriage. "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" he said on The Ken Coleman Show. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about." After a wave of responses to his public revelation, Cathy said to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that although he and his family "believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees."

In October 2019, Chick-fil-A attempted to open its first store in Berkshire, England. Supporters of LGBTQ rights protested its arrival, leading the company to announce an indefinite closure once its six-month lease is over. Protests also ceased the arrival of the fast-food chain in certain parts of Buffalo, New York, and San Antonio, Texas, NBC News reports.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott previously signed Senate Bill 1978, or "Save Chick-fil-A" bill, that provides businesses with religious protections. The legislation stops the government from implementing "adverse action" to businesses that place religious beliefs at the forefront of its policies and places it decides to donate to.

There are 2,300 Chick-fil-A restaurants in the United States.

Continue Reading

Top Stories