D.C. Mayor Bowser And Police Commissioner Lanier Hold News Conference On Quadruple Murder
Getty Images

D.C. Mayor Creates Task Force And Other Initiatives To Find Missing Girls

The sun may be shining a tad brighter on D.C. very soon.

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser gave activists supporting #FindOurGirls a gift to ease their minds. Following a town hall meeting regarding the nation’s capital’s outlandish number of missing black and Latinx girls, the mayor saw it fit to develop a series of initiatives in response to the outcry for the missing girls this past Friday (March 24).

The first initiative involves a task force that will “determine what social services teenagers who runaway need.” In addition, the city will designate a larger number of its police force to find the missing children. The series also includes increasing the funding allocated to organizations that interact with vulnerable teens and updating a city website, including more information on each of the missing children.

Although they are making strides in the right direction, a spokesperson for the mayor, Kevin Harris, insists on supporting the notion that a majority of the children are runaways. “Often times, these girls are repeat runaways,” Harris stated, “So if we really want to help solve this problem and bring down the numbers, we have to break the cycle of young people, especially young girls, who repeatedly run away from home.”

An advocate for the homeless youth, Deborah Shore, deemed it necessary to shed light on the reality of making this claim without relaying the dangers of a runaway child’s situation. The founder of the Sasha Bruce Youth Network claims, “There’s a view out there that this is a friendly kind of situation. But there are people who prey on young people. We have just seen and heard from so many young people that these arrangements are not friendly. They require some kind of payment, and often it’s for some kind of sexual favor.”

While Harris claims that the alarming number of missing black and Latinx girls had not increased, but just became more visible due to a social media initiative brought on by D.C.’s police department, there still is apprehension. A focus on clarifying that the girls are runaways as opposed to unbeknownst missing girls, diverts from the core issue—there are black and brown teenage girls missing at an alarming rate. Harris, however, reassures the public, “We don’t ever want this to become the norm.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Scott Olson

North Carolina Prosecutors Say Teen Would Still Be Alive If Cops Pursued Evidence From 2016

North Carolina prosecutors have placed blame on local law enforcement stating had police pursued evidence, 13-year-old Hania Aguilar would still be alive.

Robeson County District Attorney Luther Johnson Britt spoke with reporters Wednesday (Dec. 12) and said authorities were able to link suspect Michael Ray McLellan to an unrelated rape case for about a year but failed to take action.

"This hurts," Britt said. "This is like taking a punch to the gut and not being prepared to get it."

McLellan has been charged with first-degree murder and a host of other charges related to the kidnapping, rape, and murder of the teen. He's being held without bail. Last month, Hania was kidnapped from her driveway by the 34-year-old and forced into a relative's vehicle.

The eighth grader's body was found last week in water and the SUV was found less than 10 miles away from her body. Britt told CNN with the help of an interpreter he spoke to the teen's mother and explained their daughter wouldn't be coming home.

"It was a difficult conversation to have with her," he added. "Maybe the most difficult conversation I've ever had with a victim's family -- to tell them that had this information been followed up on -- her daughter might be alive."

Sheriff Burnis Wilkins said the department would launch an internal investigation.

READ MORE: Time's Up Legal's Defense Fund Is Throwing A Star-Studded ebay Auction

Continue Reading
Drew Angerer

Incoming Attorney General Letitia James Planning Investigation Of Donald Trump And Co.

Incoming New York Attorney General Letitia James is planning a sweeping investigation of Donald Trump, his family and anyone associated with the president.

While speaking with NBC News, James said she will use every corner of the law to look at any illegal activity committed.

“We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well," James said.

Specifically, James will investigate any illegal activity associated with the president's New York real-estate holdings, including the 2016 meeting with a Russian official at Trump Tower and any government subsidies he's received.

"We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law,” the Democratic attorney general said.

After James announced her forthcoming investigation, Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen will face the music for lying to Congress and violating campaign laws. Cohen faces four years in prison.

READ MORE: Donald Trump "I'm The Least Racist Person...That I Can Tell You"

Continue Reading
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Oscar Grant's Family Advocates To Have Fruitvale Station Named After Him

Nearly 10 years to the day of his passing, Oscar Grant III's family is aiming to build a tangible legacy in his honor. A request to rename Fruitvale Station in Oakland, Calif., the location where Grant was fatally shot by a police officer on Jan. 1, 2009, has been made. At 22, Grant was killed by a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) officer while he was handcuffed and face down on the train's platform. The officers were responding to a fight on a crowded train and apprehended Grant and other riders.

“It would be an atonement, it would be part of BART saying yes this happened here, we vow that it won’t happen again and we vow to work with the communities and ensure that all people are treated equally,” Wanda Johnson, Grant's mother, said.

According to KGO-TV, BART officials have declared the family's plea unlikely, not based upon the reason of the request, but rather that BART policy requires all stations' names to align with its geographical position. The Oakland transit system will instead install a mural honoring the late father. Currently, in the planning stages, the family also requested a side street at Fruitvale be named after their fallen family member.

Killed in the blink of an eye, Grant's case made him one of the many faces of police brutality. Cellphone cameras caught officers handcuff an unarmed Grant, who was later shot in the back. He died shortly after in a California hospital.

READ MORE: 'Fruitvale Station': Michael B. Jordan On the Many Layers of Oscar Grant 

Continue Reading

Top Stories