Cleveland PD

Cleveland Shooter On The Run After Killing Elderly Man In Horrific Facebook Video

Steve Stephens is wanted for carrying out an "Easter day slaughter."

Police in Cleveland are working with the FBI and other authorities, to find a suspect accused of committing a homicide and sharing the horrific footage on Facebook. Steve Stephens is being urged to turn himself in after he shot an elderly man in the head Sunday (April 16).

The victim has been identified as Robert Godwin Sr., a 74-year-old grandfather killed at random. Stephens recorded the brutal murder in a video captioned “Easter day slaughter.”

“I found somebody I’m ’bout to kill,” Stephens says in footage before approaching Godwin who is walking on a sidewalk. “I’m ’bout to kill this guy right here, the old dude.”

Stephens can be heard telling Godwin to repeat the name, Joy Lane. “She’s the reason this is about to happen to you,” he says raising a gun at Godwin.

“I don’t know nobody by that name,” Godwin replies raising his hands to cover his face as Stephens pulls the trigger.

Godwin's granddaughter asked for the footage to stop being shared online.

Facebook removed the video and shut down Stephens' account a few hours later. But before his account was closed, Stephens apologized and explained that he carried out the shooting because he was upset about his relationship with Lane. He threatened to continue senselessly murdering innocent victims until he received a call from Lane and his mother.

Godwin, a retired foundry worker (conflicted reports stated that he was 78), is survived by nine children, 14 grandchildren, and several great grandchildren, reports

His family was overcome with grief, while describing him as a caring and generous man in an interview with Cleveland 19 News.

“It feels like my heart is gonna' stop,” said an inconsolable family member.

Stephens is said to be driving a white Ford Fusion and was reportedly tracked to Erie, Penn. He is considered armed and dangerous.

After the shooting, Stephens recored himself driving with a phone to his ear and stating that he “snapped.”

“Dog, I just snapped," he says. "I just killed 13 motherf**kas’…and I’m ‘bout to keep killing until they catch me.”

Cleveland residents began tweeting about a man shooting people in the city Sunday afternoon. Although Stephens asserted to killing over a dozen people, his claim has not been verified, Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams said during a press conference. The police department has since issued an aggravated murder warrant for Stephens.

Stephens, 37, was employed as a case manager at Beech Brook, a mental health organization. “I would deal with people’s problems every day, but when it comes to my sh*t nobody gives a f*ck,” he says in another recording. “This is f*cked up because innocent people ‘bout to die today. Hopefully I’ma try to kill as many people as I can and be on death row, or whatever the case may be. I just don’t give a f*ck no more."

He also claims to have killed before.

“We learned about [the shooting] this afternoon when someone saw it on FB and notified us," said Nancy Kortemeyer, Beech Brook's vice president of marketing and PR. "We are doing everything we can to help and help locate him."

Facebook also released a statement on the shooting. “This is a horrific crime and we do not allow this kind of content on Facebook,” the company said. “We work hard to keep a safe environment on Facebook, and are in touch with law enforcement in emergencies when there are direct threats to physical safety.”

Though it was originally reported that Stephens broadcast the fatal shooting on Facebook Live, the company clarified that the footage was uploaded to his account.

The tragedy is the second time in the last week that a deadly shooting has ended up on a Facebook-related outlet, after an Atlanta teen accidentally killed himself while playing with a gun on Instagram Live.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Nuccio DiNuzzo

Chicago Mayor Calls Jussie Smollett Charges Drop "A Whitewash of Justice"

If you've been keeping up with the twists and turns in the Jussie Smollett case, then you may have thrown your hands in the air Tuesday morning (March 26) when prosecutors announced all charges against the 36-year-old actor were dropped.

The shock reverberated online and through the Chicago Police Department who accused the former Empire actor of staging the crime. Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson were prompted to offer their reaction to the outcome.

"This is without a doubt a whitewash of justice," Emanuel said at a news conference. "There is no accountability. It is wrong, full stop."

Johnson, who was reportedly furious over the outcome, learned about the prosecution's decision while attending a police academy graduation with the mayor.

"I'm sure we all know what happened this morning," Johnson said.  "Do I think justice was served? No. What do I think justice is? I think this city is owed an apology."

Johnson stands by his belief that Smollett made up the whole thing and also suggested a deal was made to keep Smollett out of prison.

"At the end of the day, it's Mr. Smollett who committed this hoax, period," Johnson said. "I heard that they wanted their day in court ... so America could know the truth, and they chose to hide behind a secrecy of a brokered deal to circumvent the judicial system."

The mayor was beside himself after the news, insisting he learned about Smollett's outcome when everyone else did and questioned where are the actor's morals.

“A person using hate crime laws that are on the books to protect people who are minorities, and you turn around and use them to advance your career?" Emmanuel said. "Is there no decency in this man?"

Continue Reading
Scott Olson

The Body Of Ohio Activist Amber Evans Was Found In The Scioto River

The body of 28-year-old Amber Evans was found in Ohio's Scioto River Saturday. (March 23) Evans, a beloved activist, had been missing since January 28.

According to reports, Evans' body was found by Columbus Police. The activist worked with several social justice organizations including the Juvenile Justice Coalition in which she was promoted to executive director.

Evans was reported missing in January following a dispute with her boyfriend of 10 years. Local authorities did, however, say her boyfriend has been cooperative.

“Since the beginning of the investigation that there were no known domestic violence issues in Evans’ relationship and there was no reason to suspect foul play,” the Columbus-Dispatch reports.

*UPDATE 3/24/19: The body recovered yesterday, Saturday, 3/23/19 has been positively identified as 28yo Amber Evans. The family has been notified.While this is not the outcome we hoped for, we understand this brings closure for the family. Our thoughts & prayers go out to them.

— Columbus Ohio Police (@ColumbusPolice) March 24, 2019

Evans went to work the morning of Jan 28 and left at 5:30 PM after feeling sick. A security camera at a local store captured her purchasing cold medicine and a Snickers. Evans' abandoned car was found later that evening in the Scioto Mile area with her purse in the track. Her cell phone was located the next day in another part of the Scioto Mile.

Tonya Fischer, Evans' mother, took to social media to express her appreciation for the outpouring of support.

“I’m coming on here as a mother who has just found out that I lost my first-born child,” Fischer said, choking up as she spoke. “I love you all, and you all know I’m more than willing to accept all that you have to give... but just give me a moment. Just a moment. Give my family a moment.”


Continue Reading
Jessica Hill

The Father Of A Sandy Hook Shooting Victim Committed Suicide

The father of a first-grader killed during 2012's Sandy Hook school shooting committed suicide.

Jeremy Richman 49, was found dead inside his office space Monday morning (March 25). Local authorities said the medical examiner's office has not confirmed a cause of death.

Richman, a trained scientist, and his wife Jennifer Hensel launched the Avielle Foundation after his 6-year-old daughter Avielle Richman. The foundation is committed to providing funding for the neuroscience behind compassion and violence.

In a 2017 interview with NPR, Richman discussed the heartache he and his wife experienced in the years following Avielle's murder. “It was like a ghost limb syndrome, you know, where you keep thinking ‘Where’s Avielle? Do we need to pick her up?’” he said. “And every day you’d have this [realization] that I don’t have a child, and I don’t have to parent. That was just brutal.”

Richman also said with each new shooting, it just resurrected raw emotions.

“Right after Newtown we had the Boston bombings, and then we’ve had Charleston, Orlando and over a hundred school shootings, some of which make the national news and some don’t,” he said. “Every time this happens it breaks a heart and it chokes us up. To be honest, though, now it comes with a fair degree of frustration and anger because things aren’t changing fast enough. I really get sick of ‘thoughts and prayers,’ and ‘our hearts go out.’ That’s not going to change anything. What I need to hear is: ‘My heart is broken, and my boots are on the ground to fix it.’ ”

Continue Reading

Top Stories