The Family Of Robert Godwin Says They Forgive Gunman Steve Stephens

"I forgive you and love you, but most importantly, God loves you. God can heal your mind and save your soul.”

The family of retired foundry worker Robert Godwin has forgiven the man who killed the 74-year-old and posted the harrowing shooting on Facebook.

READ MORE: Former Girlfriend Of Cleveland Shooter Calls Steve Stephens A “Nice Guy”

USA Today reports the family spoke to Cleveland TV station WJW about Steve Stephens, who is currently on the run for committing the crime. The 37-year-old has been placed on the FBI's Most Wanted List for shooting the grandfather of 14 on Easter Sunday (April 16). Godwin's family has received plenty of prayers and large donations since the story reached national coverage.

Speaking to reporters, the family as a whole has forgiven Stephens and have prayed for him.

"Each one of us forgives the killer, the murderer," Tonya Godwin-Baines, a daughter of 74-year-old victim Robert Godwin, said. "We want to wrap our arms around him." She also begged Stephens to turn himself in. Considered armed and dangerous, Stephens fled Cleveland and could be anywhere between Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana or Michigan.

"To the young man who murdered my daddy, I ask that you please surrender," she added. "I forgive you and love you, but most importantly, God loves you. God can heal your mind and save your soul.” Robert Godwin Jr., also shared the same pleas. "Steve, I forgive you ... I'm not happy [with] what you did but I forgive you."

Meanwhile, Godwin's 34-year-old girlfriend shared with the Daily Mail how she broke the news of his death to his youngest children. "I told them he is up there with God," Angela Smith said. "God needed him. I couldn't really explain." Smith says the two have been together for over 10 years. "He was a good man, I loved him and he loved and respected me," she said. "The age difference didn't matter. I didn't care what anybody said. Now I have to live without him and it's very hard. I just want him (Stephens) to turn himself in to the police."

Smith says the day of the shooting Godwin was collecting cans, a hobby he enjoyed since retiring last year. "He was just in the wrong place, wrong time," Smith said. "Anywhere he went he would just protect the kids and now this has happened to him. To see him holding his bag up as a defense was like seeing a kid in trouble. It is heartbreaking."

Cleveland’s Mayor Frank Jackson has issued a $50,000 reward to anyone with information about Stephen's whereabouts.

READ MORE: Cleveland Shooter On The Run After Killing Elderly Man In Horrific Facebook Video

From the Web

More on Vibe

Michael Tullberg/Getty Images

Shaquille O'Neal To Join Papa John's Board Of Directors

It looks like Shaquille O'Neal added a new title to his post-basketball resume. The Inside the NBA co-host has joined Papa John's board of directors, CNN reports. As an ambassador for the pizza chain, the former athlete will rake in $8.25 million in a three-year endorsement deal. O'Neal also invested in nine Papa John's stores in Atlanta, Georgia.

This isn't the 47-year-old's first dive in the food world. In 2016, the NBA Hall-of-Famer bought a Krispy Kreme located in Atlanta, he opened Big Chicken in Las Vegas, and recently, his self-titled restaurant debuted in Los Angeles.

"Shaquille has an excellent entrepreneurial background, including as a restaurant franchise owner, and is a natural creative marketer," Jeff Smith, Chairman of Papa John's Board of Directors, said in a statement.

O'Neal also expressed his enthusiasm with his latest partnership. "I have truly enjoyed the high-quality Papa John's product for years and am excited to be able to help Papa John's raise their game to new heights," he said. "This is a triple threat opportunity for me. I am excited to join the board and to help lead from the top, while also investing in nine stores in my home town [sic] of Atlanta and being an ambassador to the brand."

The father-of-six appears to be the saving grace for the company after a series of public scandals over the past year and a half; Papa John's founder was accused of using a racial slur. Since the announcement, the brand's stock has gone up five percent.

Time for a pizza party! I’m excited to join @PapaJohns as a member of the Board of Directors and investor in 9 stores in #Atlanta. Excited to work with Papa John’s team members and customers - more here: https://t.co/PRXG7ORtFk pic.twitter.com/c5uj5BRuQ1

— SHAQ (@SHAQ) March 22, 2019

Continue Reading

Cam Newton Says Practicing Celibacy Has Made His Mind Stronger

It might be the offseason for Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, but that doesn't mean the game is over just yet. Part of his time off includes engaging in self-made challenges and this month, the athlete has decided not to get down in the bedroom.

The fashionable athlete shared the details behind his challenges on The Late Late Show with James Corden. The 29-year-old broke down his twist on New Year's resolutions with his latest challenge possibly taking the cake for being the hardest thus far.

"Every month I try to challenge myself in many, different ways," the Atlanta native started. He pledged to veganism for the month of February and dedicated the third month of the year to nothing less than chastity. "And then March, I hope this is an adult crowd — it looks like it is — no climax."

Newton's revelation was met by exclaims from the crowd and of course from Corden himself. "It's challenging," the father of three responded. "For me, doing certain things that challenge me in the off-season that I can't necessarily do, so now when the season comes along it makes my mind stronger; I feel like if I go back and I say "I did those things," I'm mentally stronger."

Newton subtly teased the notion of celibacy on his Instagram account earlier this month with a photo of a flower.

Some of his challenges have stuck around longer than a month, like his journey with veganism. We can only wonder what challenges April will bring.

Check out the full interview up top.

Continue Reading
Getty Images

R. Kelly's Lawyers Request To Receive Copies Of Alleged Sex Tapes During Trial

R. Kelly's criminal sexual abuse trial is currently underway in Chicago. The embattled musician's lawyers are requesting to see the sex tapes their client is believed to have participated in with underage girls.

"Kelly's attorney, Steven Greenberg, tells TMZ ... prosecutors will begin handing over discovery materials during a court hearing Friday in Chicago," the gossip site writes. "He says there's no guarantee what they'll get right off the bat -- could be police reports, case material from Kelly's 2008 trial but, obviously, the items they're most anxious to see are the 2 tapes Michael Avenatti turned over to Cook County prosecutors."

According to TMZ, the two new alleged tapes will not be available for public viewing, and the possibility of Kelly's team getting copies of the tape is also still up in the air, as the judge is still making a decision.

In early-February, lawyer Michael Avenatti revealed that he received a 45-minute sex tape featuring a man believed to be R. Kelly and a 14-year-old girl. The girl in the video reportedly calls him "Daddy" several times, and they both refer to her genitalia as "14-year-old p***y." At the video's conclusion, the man in the video reportedly urinates on the girl.

Continue Reading

Top Stories