Vigils In Chiang Mai After The Orlando Shooting
Getty Images / Taylor Weidman

Facebook Under Social Media Scrutiny After Keeping Video Of Infant Murder Live For 24 Hours

This is appalling. 

Following the string of horrific Facebook Live videos of murders and suicides that have gone viral in the recent months, Mark Zuckerberg and the team have found themselves at the center of social criticism for yet another terrible video. The FB Live video of a Thai man murdering his 11-month-old daughter stayed on the site for roughly 24 hours, Reuters reports.

The disturbing video, which was recorded in two clips, was reportedly not taken down until 5 p.m. in Bangkok on Tuesday (Apr. 26). The extremely violent footage shows the Thai resident, identified as Wuttisan Wongtalay, stringing a rope around his daughter's neck before dropping her from the rooftop of a deserted building in close proximity to the town of Phuket. Wongtalay then took his own life. Although his suicide was not broadcast live, his lifeless body was reportedly discovered beside his daughters, Jullaus Suvannin, the police officer in charge of the case, confirmed. Before its removal, the first video garnered 112,000 views, while the other displayed 258,000 views.

 

Authorities are still investigating details of the murder-suicide, but they believe Wongtalay's actions are connected to marital issues as well as mental illness. "He was having paranoia about his wife leaving him and not loving him," Officer Suvannin told Reuters. Wongtalay's wife, Jiranuch Tiratana wasn't initially available for comment, but eventually told the publication that her marriage had grown violent in recent months. She also reportedly grew fearful on the day of the incident when she learned her husband had left with their daughter. "I was afraid he would hurt our daughter even though he loved her," she told Reuters.

Before the video was stripped from Facebook, many viewers expressed their outrage in the comments below. "This is the most evil clip I've seen in my life," one user said. "I couldn't stand it for more than one second." "How can he watch his own child stop breathing," another asked. A Singapore-based Facebook spokesman also issued a response to Reuters via email, saying, "This is an appalling incident and our hearts go out to the family of the victim. There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook."

 

After another Facebook video of a fatal shooting of an elderly man in Cleveland, Ohio went live for two hours last week, Zuckerberg vowed to install monitoring systems to prevent content from staying on the site in the future. Even with new prevention methods, Rev. Jesse Jackson has called for a 30-day shut down of the streaming application.

 

From the Web

More on Vibe

John Moore

Sandy Hook Elementary Evacuates After Bomb Threat On 6th Anniversary Of Mass Shooting

Sandy Hook Elementary School was reportedly forced to evacuate its students and administration on Friday (Dec. 14), after receiving a bomb threat, CNN reports. The incident occurred on the sixth anniversary of the school's tragic mass shooting.

Newtown, Connecticut Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde stated that the threat didn't appear to be substantial, but they decided to  evacuate the facility as an extra precaution.

Bomb squads reportedly swept the school and surrounding area for explosive devices but did not discover anything on the property. They later concluded that there was no immediate threat. The school administration dismissed students and faculty for the rest of the day however, considering the previous incident.

As previously noted, Sandy Hook endured a horrific mass shooting on Dec. 14, 2012, in which 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children between six and seven years old, as well as six adult, staff members.

Earlier this month, thousands of documents were released about Lanza that revealed his mental state and social status in the years leading up to the shooting.

The shooting is not believed to be in connection to the recent string of bomb scares around the nation that targeted major politicians including the former first families Barack and Michelle Obama and Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Continue Reading
Scott Olson

North Carolina Prosecutors Say Teen Would Still Be Alive If Cops Pursued Evidence From 2016

North Carolina prosecutors have placed blame on local law enforcement stating had police pursued evidence, 13-year-old Hania Aguilar would still be alive.

Robeson County District Attorney Luther Johnson Britt spoke with reporters Wednesday (Dec. 12) and said authorities were able to link suspect Michael Ray McLellan to an unrelated rape case for about a year but failed to take action.

"This hurts," Britt said. "This is like taking a punch to the gut and not being prepared to get it."

McLellan has been charged with first-degree murder and a host of other charges related to the kidnapping, rape, and murder of the teen. He's being held without bail. Last month, Hania was kidnapped from her driveway by the 34-year-old and forced into a relative's vehicle.

The eighth grader's body was found last week in water and the SUV was found less than 10 miles away from her body. Britt told CNN with the help of an interpreter he spoke to the teen's mother and explained their daughter wouldn't be coming home.

"It was a difficult conversation to have with her," he added. "Maybe the most difficult conversation I've ever had with a victim's family -- to tell them that had this information been followed up on -- her daughter might be alive."

Sheriff Burnis Wilkins said the department would launch an internal investigation.

READ MORE: Time's Up Legal's Defense Fund Is Throwing A Star-Studded ebay Auction

Continue Reading
Drew Angerer

Incoming Attorney General Letitia James Planning Investigation Of Donald Trump And Co.

Incoming New York Attorney General Letitia James is planning a sweeping investigation of Donald Trump, his family and anyone associated with the president.

While speaking with NBC News, James said she will use every corner of the law to look at any illegal activity committed.

“We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well," James said.

Specifically, James will investigate any illegal activity associated with the president's New York real-estate holdings, including the 2016 meeting with a Russian official at Trump Tower and any government subsidies he's received.

"We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law,” the Democratic attorney general said.

After James announced her forthcoming investigation, Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen will face the music for lying to Congress and violating campaign laws. Cohen faces four years in prison.

READ MORE: Donald Trump "I'm The Least Racist Person...That I Can Tell You"

Continue Reading

Top Stories