Facebook Under Social Media Scrutiny After Keeping Video Of Infant Murder Live For 24 Hours
Following the string of horrific Facebook Live videos of murders and suicides that have gone viral in the recent months, Mark Zuckerberg and the team have found themselves at the center of social criticism for yet another terrible video. The FB Live video of a Thai man murdering his 11-month-old daughter stayed on the site for roughly 24 hours, Reuters reports.
The disturbing video, which was recorded in two clips, was reportedly not taken down until 5 p.m. in Bangkok on Tuesday (Apr. 26). The extremely violent footage shows the Thai resident, identified as Wuttisan Wongtalay, stringing a rope around his daughter’s neck before dropping her from the rooftop of a deserted building in close proximity to the town of Phuket. Wongtalay then took his own life. Although his suicide was not broadcast live, his lifeless body was reportedly discovered beside his daughters, Jullaus Suvannin, the police officer in charge of the case, confirmed. Before its removal, the first video garnered 112,000 views, while the other displayed 258,000 views.
Authorities are still investigating details of the murder-suicide, but they believe Wongtalay’s actions are connected to marital issues as well as mental illness. “He was having paranoia about his wife leaving him and not loving him,” Officer Suvannin told Reuters. Wongtalay’s wife, Jiranuch Tiratana wasn’t initially available for comment, but eventually told the publication that her marriage had grown violent in recent months. She also reportedly grew fearful on the day of the incident when she learned her husband had left with their daughter. “I was afraid he would hurt our daughter even though he loved her,” she told Reuters.
Before the video was stripped from Facebook, many viewers expressed their outrage in the comments below. “This is the most evil clip I’ve seen in my life,” one user said. “I couldn’t stand it for more than one second.” “How can he watch his own child stop breathing,” another asked. A Singapore-based Facebook spokesman also issued a response to Reuters via email, saying, “This is an appalling incident and our hearts go out to the family of the victim. There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook.”
After another Facebook video of a fatal shooting of an elderly man in Cleveland, Ohio went live for two hours last week, Zuckerberg vowed to install monitoring systems to prevent content from staying on the site in the future. Even with new prevention methods, Rev. Jesse Jackson has called for a 30-day shut down of the streaming application.