United-Airlines
Getty Images

United Airlines Takes Another L After Passenger Gets Dragged Off Flight

Just a few weeks after their leggings debacle, the airline finds itself in another incident. 

No one should desire the negative press United Airlines has been getting lately. From trapped employees to banning leggings, the company's L's just keep stacking up. Their latest is brutal, involving a passenger getting dragged off a flight he paid for.

On Sunday evening (April 9), a passenger from a United flight from Chicago to Louisville at the O’Hare International Airport was forcibly removed. Passenger Audra D. Bridges uploaded footage from the incident to Facebook. Speaking to the Courier-Journal, Bridges said before the flight took off, they were told it was overbooked. The cute gift of $400 and a hotel stay would be given to those willing to give up their seat. The offer was then raised to $800, but there were no takers.

After running out of bright ideas, a manager announced that four people would be selected by a computer to be removed from the flight so stand by United employees could board.

The man in the video below was chosen and decided not to leave. Bridges said the man told the employees that he was a doctor and had to treat patients Monday morning. Members of the Chicago Aviation Police removed the man from the flight, with the man hitting his face on an armrest while he was dragged off the flight.

"Everyone was shocked and appalled," Bridges said. "There were several children on the flight as well that were very upset." Her caption shared the same reaction on Facebook, with over 500,000 people viewing the disturbing video. The man was given medical assistance before he was allowed back on the flight, which took off two hours later.

The company released a statement about the incident, directing attention to authorities for more information. "Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked," the spokesperson said. "After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities." The man was also reportedly given a full refund for the flight.

The Department of Aviation hasn't released a statement about the incident and their officers' practices. Patch reports officers of the Chicago Aviation force are educated and trained by the Chicago Police Training Academy but aren't allowed to carry weapons.

Reactions to the incident have been swift on social media, with many boycotting the company.

UPDATE: 4/10 2:22 P.M. EST

United's CEO Oscar Munoz has released an odd apology to the doctor and other passengers of flight 3411 stating, "I apologize for having to re-accomodate these customers.”

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

Tory Lanez Sued For Alleged Attack In Miami Nightclub

Tory Lanez is facing legal trouble over an alleged altercation that went down inside Miami’s LIV nightclub last year. Christopher “Prince” Harty, an up-and-coming artist and Miami promoter who appeared on Love & Hip-Hop: Miami claims that Lanez attacked him last November.

The onetime reality star alleges that Lanez, along with his entourage and security team, punched and attacked him in the nightclub. According to reports, Prince claims to have suffered blunt force trauma to his head, neck, and chest, in addition to contusions, bruises and anxiety, as a result of the incident. He is suing for unspecified damages.

“They backed me into a corner, and once I was there, they started stomping on me, jumping me,” he recalled to NBC Miami.

He believes that the friction stemmed from an Instagram post about music. “They felt that I was insinuating that they stole the record from me, and I was just like, no, I would never do that, that was never my intention. I had no issue with him at all.”

A portion of the incident was captured on cellphone video. Prince stated that he knew Lanez prior to the run-in, and helped get him into clubs before.

His attorney, Marwan Porter of Porter Law Firm, called the violent incident “a chronic problem” with Lanez who is accused of shooting Megan Thee Stallion in July. The 28-year-old recording artist has yet to publicly address either incident.

Hear more from Prince in the video below.

Continue Reading
Prince Williams/Wireimage via Getty Images

Cardi B Opens Up About Filing For Divorce From Offset

Cardi B took to Instagram Live on Friday (Sept. 18) to air out a few things about filing for divorce from Offset.

The Bronx rapper made it clear that she didn’t file for divorce as a publicity stunt to promote her upcoming album. “I’m not doing it for clout and on top of that I don’t need stunts to sell music,” she said. “I’m not [trying to] brag but don’t ever say I’m doing anything for clout. My first album is three-times platinum and I didn’t need no stunts to do that. My [“Wap”] single is no. 1 worldwide why would I need stunts to sell music? I don’t need stunts — [especially] when it comes to family — to sell anything, so don’t play yourself.”

As for the reason for the divorce filing, the estranged couple simply grew apart. “Nothing crazy out of this world happened, sometimes people really do grow apart. I been with this man for four years. I have a kid with this man, I have a household with this man…sometimes you’re just tired of the arguments and the build up. You get tired sometimes and before something happens, you leave.”

“I just wanna' be a free bird,” Cardi said after questioning whether people secretly want infidelity to be the reason for the split.

“I am the f**king clout,” she added. “I never needed anything. I never needed no stunts to sell sh*t.Why would I need anything to sell my next album?”

Speaking of the new album, Cardi has been indecisive about choosing her next single because “WAP” did so well. “That means that my second single has to be even better.”

Towards the end of her venting session, Cardi reiterated that she’s focusing on her work, and revealed that she's starting new business for her daughter Kulture.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by HIPHOLLYWOOD (@hiphollywood) on Sep 18, 2020 at 10:23pm PDT

Continue Reading
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Barack Obama Announces Release Date For ‘A Promised Land’ Memoir

Following the mega-success of his wife’s Becoming release, Barack Obama is poised to debut his own memoir, A Promised Land, this fall. The former president made the literary announcement on Twitter on Thursday (Sept. 17).

“There’s no feeling like finishing a book and I’m proud of this one,” Obama tweeted while explaining that he tries to give an “honest account” of his presidency in the book. The release will also touch on “the forces we grapple with as a nation, and how we can heal our division and make democracy work for everybody.”

There’s no feeling like finishing a book, and I’m proud of this one. In 'A Promised Land,' I try to provide an honest accounting of my presidency, the forces we grapple with as a nation, and how we can heal our divisions and make democracy work for everybody. pic.twitter.com/T1QSZVDvOm

— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) September 17, 2020

The highly anticipated and introspective release takes readers on a “compelling journey” and details Obama’s “improbable odyssey from a young man searching for his identity to leader of the free world.” Included in the memoir are striking personal details about his political education, as well as landmark moments from his first term presidency.

The Obamas secured the reported $60 million book deals around a year after ending their tenure in the White House. Michelle Obama’s book became the best-selling memoir in history.

A Promised Land is currently available for pre-order at Obamabook.com. The memoir will be released on Nov. 17.

Continue Reading

Top Stories