bia-viva- bia-viva-
Ian Reid

Ariana Grande's Opening Act Bia Releases Statement After Manchester Attack

Greater Manchester Police have called it the "most horrific incident" they've had to face in the area.

Victoria Monét and Bia, the opening acts for the European leg of Ariana Grande's "Dangerous Woman" Tour, have issued statements following multiple explosions at the Manchester Arena where Grande had a concert Monday night (May 22).

Monét tweeted "I wish that “I wish I could say that I am ok, but I am not. Safe? Yes, but heartbroken that loved ones who came to have the night of their lives ended up losing them. They weren’t safe. I will never understand this hate! This was supposed to be their safe place! I’m so hurt and frustrated I don’t know how to handle this and I can’t smile and I feel useless, I’m sorry. Lord help me find strength. I’m going to stay off social media. I just hope you know that I love you all. Please send your prayers up high for Manchester.”

In an emailed statement, Bia said, "My heart is heavy today as i extend my prayers to the children and families affected by last nights horrible tragedy in Manchester. We are sending our love to all of Manchester during this incredibly difficult time. We ask each one of you to join us in keeping all who are suffering in your thoughts and prayers."

Concert goers wait to be picked up at the scene of a suspected terrorist attack during a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester, northwest England on May 23, 2017.

Within hours of the deadly explosion -- which occurred immediately after Grande had finished her concert and fans were exiting the arena -- 22 people were pronounced dead and 59 others were injured. Greater Manchester Police have called it the "most horrific incident" they've had to face in the area.

Grande took to Twitter to address the incident, writing that she was "broken" over what happened. "From the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."

This article originally appeared on Billboard.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

21 Savage And J. Cole Win Best Rap Song Grammy Award For “A Lot”

The 2020 Grammy Awards proves that it’ll be a night of firsts. On Sunday (Jan. 26), 21 Savage won his first Grammy Award for his single “a lot.” The track features J. Cole, who also took home his first gramophone for the same track under the Best Rap Song category.

The melody is featured on Savage's I Am > I Was which topped the US Billboard 200. Savage is also nominated for Best Rap Album for the aforementioned project while Cole and his Dreamville camp will also duke it out with their Revenge Of The Dreamers III compilation.

Continue Reading
Koffee, winner of Best Reggae Album, poses in the press room during the 62nd Annual GRAMMY Awards at STAPLES Center on January 26, 2020 in Los Angeles, California
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for The Recording Academy

Koffee Wins Grammy Award For Best Reggae Album

Since 1985, the Best Reggae Album category has been in inception. Each year, a man has taken home the gramophone, but 35 years later, a rising artist is here to make history. On Sunday (Jan. 26), Koffee won the title for her debut album, Rapture. Last year’s recipients were Sting & Shaggy for their 44/876 album.

“I’m very honored, I’m very happy and I’m satisfied, I would say,” the "W" singer says. “I put a lot of work into my first project and to see that it has been recognized on this level has really fulfilled me so I’m very thankful.”

In a previous interview with VIBE, Koffee shared her thoughts on being a woman musician in a male-dominated genre such as reggae. “I feel like it’s a big responsibility, and ‘to whom much is given, much is expected.’ So I don't look at it as, ‘Oh, I’ve made it.’ But I acknowledge that I’m in a position where I have a responsibility now to fulfill and to pull through. It just pushes me to work harder, make more things happen, and just keep it going.”

Continue Reading
Kobe Bryant at his Kobe A.D. event at MAMA Gallery on November 1, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.
Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images

NBA Legend Kobe Bryant And Daughter Perish In Helicopter Crash

Update: 5:37 PM EST (January 26, 2020) - L.A. County sheriff Alex Villanueva a total of 9 people are believed to have been on board the helicopter during the fatal crash, according to the flight manifest. There are no survivors.

Update: 3:37 PM EST (January 26, 2020) - Bryant's second daughter Gianna Maria-Onore was among the passengers who died in the fatal helicopter crash, reports TMZ Sports.

The two were reportedly on their way to her basketball tournament at the Mamba Sports Academy. Nicknamed, "Gigi aka Viva aka the Mambacita #2, the 13-year-old also played basketball and dominated the court just like her dad. The emerging basketball star had dreams of playing for the University of Connecticut women's basketball team.

Story developing...

--

NBA legend Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash on Sunday morning (Jan. 26).

At around 10 a.m. PST, authorities responded to a fiery crash near Las Virgenes Road in Calabasas, Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times notes. All passengers on board the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter, which is reported to be four other people, were reported dead at the scene. A brushfire ensued causing difficult conditions for firefighters to contain the incident, the news website further states.

Bryant, 41, is survived by his wife Vanessa Bryant, and three children: Natalia Diamante, Bianka Bella, and Capri Kobe, who was born in 2019.

Continue Reading

Top Stories