Atmosphere Ahead of the Visit of Pope Francis to Fatima
Getty Images

Grieving Mother Learns That Elementary School Hid Bullying Incident After Gabriel Taye's Suicide

A Cincinnati school failed to disclose to a mother that a bullying incident left her son unconscious and the 8-year-old hung himself days later.

Speechless, to say the least. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported Wednesday (May 10) on the unfortunate suicide of an eight-year-old son and student, Gabriel Taye, which occurred earlier this year.

The Cincinnati news outlet obtained a report from the Ohio town’s police department which contains a surveillance video outside of the pre-kindergarten through sixth grade, Carson Elementary School bathroom. A veteran homicide detective, Eric Karaguleff, provided a timeline description of the video. After eleven minutes, a boy wearing a red and grey coat enters the restroom. Six seconds after, “kids flee the restroom.” Before encountering Gabriel, the assailant hits a boy in the stomach and threatens another. When Gabriel arrives, he “appears to shake hands” with the assailant, but the boy in the red and grey coat yanks Gabriel to the ground and “appears to celebrate and rejoice in his behaviour” while Gabriel lay motionless, as Karaguleff details.

Gabriel Taye was on the ground unconscious for five minutes.

Karaguleff reports “many students stepped over, pointed, mocked, nudged, kicked..” Gabriel during the time he was on the ground. It wasn’t until the assistant principal, Jeff McKenzie, rushed into the restroom to find Gabriel, that he received assistance.

On the day in question, January 24, Gabriel’s mother was alerted by someone from the elementary school saying that her son had “fainted” and was in the nurse’s office with normal vital signs. Although the school didn’t disclose the nature of the incident at that time, they did advise the mother to take him to the hospital “to be checked out,” as reported by the New York Post. Gabriel’s mother took him home, where he began to become nauseous and vomited twice. She then took Gabriel to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.

Gabriel only disclosed to his mother that his stomach was hurting. His mother believes he was unaware of what happened that day.

The hospital released Gabriel around 6 a.m. the next morning (Jan. 25) and ruled his condition as the stomach flu. Gabriel went to school the next day (Jan. 26), but around 5:30 p.m. that night, he tied a loop in his neck tie and hung himself from his bunk bed in his home.

The 750-student school failed to disclose to Gabriel's mother the events that occurred that day, preventing her from her parental duty of adequately adhering to her child's state. Despite their unethical actions, the school believes that they followed protocol. But, they are “concerned about the length of time that [Gabriel] lay motionless and the lack of adult supervision at the scene.”

The family’s attorney, Carla Leader, describes Gabriel as a “happy-go-lucky kid” who displayed no signs of mental issues.

Despite their initial refusal, Cincinnati Public Schools announced that they will release the surveillance video possibly later today.


Authorities have released surveillance footage of the incident:

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

8-Year-Old Nigerian Chess Champion's Big Win Helps His Family Out Of Homelessness

An 8-year-old Nigerian chess prodigy is helping his family out of homelessness. Tanitoluwa “ Tani” Adewumi, won the New York State Scholastic Chess Championship last week, beating out more than 70 of the state’s top young chess players, all while living in a homeless shelter.

Tani, who was recently profiled in the New York Times, and his family fled Nigeria in 2017, reportedly out of fear of being targeted by Boko Haram. The family applied for asylum, and have since been living in a New York shelter.

The third grader learned to play chess a year ago at his elementary school, P.S. 116. Tani’s coach, Russell Makofsky marveled at his ability to learn chess so quickly. "His intellect, his aptitude, his capacity to learn chess is off the charts,” Makofsky said. “From not playing to beating the best of the best in one year is unheard of, all while living in a homeless shelter.”

Tani has been getting a lot of attention for his big win. A GoFundMe page launched on March 15 with a goal of raising $50,000 to help Tani’s family “secure a home where he can continue his journey,” has raised more than $182,000. An attorney has also agreed to work on the family’s asylum case for free, CBS News reports.

The family now plans to move into an apartment, and posted an update on the GoFundMe page Tuesday (March 19) sharing their gratitude for the donations, Tani’s chess coach, and the media for publicizing the story. “Our big shout out to the whole WORLD for all your support financially, morally, spiritually and many more can't [be] mentioned. You are all awesome. God bless you all.”

According to the post, proceeds from the crowdfunding effort will be donated to a new foundation that the family will be starting in Tani's name.

See more on his story below.

Continue Reading
Smith Collection

Connecticut School Employee Resigns After Racist Grocery Store Video Goes Viral

A  Connecticut resident has resigned from her position at the Hamden Public School District after a video posted to Facebook shows her using racial slurs and spitting on two black people while at a local Shop Rite.

According to The New Haven Register, Corinne Terrone who was a clerk in the district's central office, is seen with her two children when the confrontation erupts. Terrone uses the N-Word three times and spits at a black man and black woman. It's unclear how the clash begins.

After Terrone's first use of the slur, the man on video rushes toward Terrone as she attempts to take her phone out and record. “Put your hands on me, come on!” she says. He then slaps the phone out of her hand. That's the only physical encounter between the two caught on video.

The Facebook post, which has received more than 180,000 views, overwhelmingly supported the black man and woman. A spokesman for the school wrote on the district's website that Terrone "has been separated from employment effective immediately.”

“While it appears as though this happened after work hours on Friday evening, the Human Resource Director contacted the employee and arranged an investigatory meeting with her. Shortly after final arrangements were made for the investigatory meeting, the employee rendered her resignation effective immediately.”

Due to the fact that Terrone's children were present during the verbal assault, the district filed a report with DCF services.

Republican State Sen. Len Fasano and state Rep. Joseph Zullo released a joint statement condemning Terrone's language and behavior.

“What we saw in this video is repulsive and deeply offensive and does not represent the people of East Haven or our values. The behavior is shocking and upsetting and has no place anywhere, including in our community,” Fasano and Zullo said in the statement. “We understand Hamden Public Schools has acted quickly to seek this employee’s resignation. East Haven police are also seeking more information and urging any potential victims or witnesses involved to come forward. Hate speech and violence will not be tolerated in our community.”

Continue Reading
Desislava Panteva

Louisiana Accidentally Paid It's Residents Double This Tax Season, To The Tune Of $26 Million

It's tax season and for most Americans the best time of the year to get a few extra coins put back into their pocket. If you're a Louisiana resident, however, you received double that in an unintended flub by the state.

According to reports, 66,000 taxpayers received double their state tax refund, totaling $26 million in overpayment. The state is now reportedly trying to get that money back.

The Division of Administration spokesman Jacques Berry blamed the blunder on a computer system malfunction, which is why so many residents had a healthier state refund.

Nola taxpayers shouldn't get excited just yet. Berry said in most cases the payments were made through the bank accounts direct deposit and can quickly be reversed. If the money isn't there, the bank will reportedly contact the individual about payment.

Berry released a statement admitting to the oversight.

“As the State of Louisiana continues to recoup more than $26 million to duplicate individual income tax refunds that were erroneously issued as the result of a computer error, taxpayers are being urged not to take any action. The vast majority of the duplicated funds are expected to be recovered electronically,” – Jacques Berry, Director of Policy and Communication

Continue Reading

Top Stories