Native Nations Rise Portland Protest Against DAPL
Getty Images

Dakota Access Pipeline Confirms Fears, Leaks 84 Gallons Of Oil On Sacred Land

The Dakota Access Pipeline reportedly leaked 200 miles south of Standing Rock protests. 

Exactly what the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe feared all along has happened: the Dakota Access Pipeline has reportedly leaked, local newspaper Watertown Public Opinion reports. According to officials, a "leaky surge pump" spilled 84 gallons of oil just north of Crandon, South Dakota in Spink County.

It's as if the countless protests to preserve sacred land and an entire community's water supply meant nothing. The leak reportedly occurred on Apr. 4, 200 miles south of where the heavily-reported Standing Rock protests took place, according to NBC News. It wasn't until Tuesday (May 11) that the incident was reported due to its small size. The spill was reportedly a result of a mechanical failure, according to Brian Walsh, an environmental scientist with the Ground Water Quality Program of the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources. All of the oil reportedly leaked in a contained area, which was covered with special lining that does not allow anything to touch the soil, Vicki Granado, a spokesperson for pipeline developers Energy Transfer Partners, said.

The Sioux Tribe released a formal statement on their website on May 10, addressing the recent incident. "This is what we have said all along: oil pipelines leak and spill. Our lawsuit challenging this dangerous project is ongoing and it’s more important than ever for the court to step in and halt additional accidents before they happen – not just for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and our resources but for the 17 million people whose drinking water is at risk," the statement reads. It also called for the courts to "step in and halt additional accidents before they happen."

Shortly after Donald Trump's Inauguration, the president signed an executive order renegotiating the construction of the pipeline. After the bill was signed, authorities forcibly evacuated the remaining protesters. Despite initial claims from Energy Transfer Partner, whom insisted it would be safe and leak-free, Rebecca Craven, program director at the Pipeline Safety Trust told NBC that "these kinds of spills do occur." "Sometimes they're contained on company property, and sometimes they do more damage as they escape off company property," she explained.

The contaminated gravel and lining have reportedly been disposed of, and the pipeline company has launched a full investigation into the incident, NBC reports. The pipeline is not currently in use, which will allow the company to re-evaluate its construction. Nevertheless, if 84 gallons of oil can leak while it's inactive, many fear the situation will only intensify.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Getty Images

8-Year-Old Nigerian Chess Champion's Big Win Helps His Family Out Of Homelessness

An 8-year-old Nigerian chess prodigy is helping his family out of homelessness. Tanitoluwa “ Tani” Adewumi, won the New York State Scholastic Chess Championship last week, beating out more than 70 of the state’s top young chess players, all while living in a homeless shelter.

Tani, who was recently profiled in the New York Times, and his family fled Nigeria in 2017, reportedly out of fear of being targeted by Boko Haram. The family applied for asylum, and have since been living in a New York shelter.

The third grader learned to play chess a year ago at his elementary school, P.S. 116. Tani’s coach, Russell Makofsky marveled at his ability to learn chess so quickly. "His intellect, his aptitude, his capacity to learn chess is off the charts,” Makofsky said. “From not playing to beating the best of the best in one year is unheard of, all while living in a homeless shelter.”

Tani has been getting a lot of attention for his big win. A GoFundMe page launched on March 15 with a goal of raising $50,000 to help Tani’s family “secure a home where he can continue his journey,” has raised more than $182,000. An attorney has also agreed to work on the family’s asylum case for free, CBS News reports.

The family now plans to move into an apartment, and posted an update on the GoFundMe page Tuesday (March 19) sharing their gratitude for the donations, Tani’s chess coach, and the media for publicizing the story. “Our big shout out to the whole WORLD for all your support financially, morally, spiritually and many more can't [be] mentioned. You are all awesome. God bless you all.”

According to the post, proceeds from the crowdfunding effort will be donated to a new foundation that the family will be starting in Tani's name.

See more on his story below.

Continue Reading
Smith Collection

Connecticut School Employee Resigns After Racist Grocery Store Video Goes Viral

A  Connecticut resident has resigned from her position at the Hamden Public School District after a video posted to Facebook shows her using racial slurs and spitting on two black people while at a local Shop Rite.

According to The New Haven Register, Corinne Terrone who was a clerk in the district's central office, is seen with her two children when the confrontation erupts. Terrone uses the N-Word three times and spits at a black man and black woman. It's unclear how the clash begins.

After Terrone's first use of the slur, the man on video rushes toward Terrone as she attempts to take her phone out and record. “Put your hands on me, come on!” she says. He then slaps the phone out of her hand. That's the only physical encounter between the two caught on video.

The Facebook post, which has received more than 180,000 views, overwhelmingly supported the black man and woman. A spokesman for the school wrote on the district's website that Terrone "has been separated from employment effective immediately.”

“While it appears as though this happened after work hours on Friday evening, the Human Resource Director contacted the employee and arranged an investigatory meeting with her. Shortly after final arrangements were made for the investigatory meeting, the employee rendered her resignation effective immediately.”

Due to the fact that Terrone's children were present during the verbal assault, the district filed a report with DCF services.

Republican State Sen. Len Fasano and state Rep. Joseph Zullo released a joint statement condemning Terrone's language and behavior.

“What we saw in this video is repulsive and deeply offensive and does not represent the people of East Haven or our values. The behavior is shocking and upsetting and has no place anywhere, including in our community,” Fasano and Zullo said in the statement. “We understand Hamden Public Schools has acted quickly to seek this employee’s resignation. East Haven police are also seeking more information and urging any potential victims or witnesses involved to come forward. Hate speech and violence will not be tolerated in our community.”

Continue Reading
Desislava Panteva

Louisiana Accidentally Paid It's Residents Double This Tax Season, To The Tune Of $26 Million

It's tax season and for most Americans the best time of the year to get a few extra coins put back into their pocket. If you're a Louisiana resident, however, you received double that in an unintended flub by the state.

According to reports, 66,000 taxpayers received double their state tax refund, totaling $26 million in overpayment. The state is now reportedly trying to get that money back.

The Division of Administration spokesman Jacques Berry blamed the blunder on a computer system malfunction, which is why so many residents had a healthier state refund.

Nola taxpayers shouldn't get excited just yet. Berry said in most cases the payments were made through the bank accounts direct deposit and can quickly be reversed. If the money isn't there, the bank will reportedly contact the individual about payment.

Berry released a statement admitting to the oversight.

“As the State of Louisiana continues to recoup more than $26 million to duplicate individual income tax refunds that were erroneously issued as the result of a computer error, taxpayers are being urged not to take any action. The vast majority of the duplicated funds are expected to be recovered electronically,” – Jacques Berry, Director of Policy and Communication

Continue Reading

Top Stories