Witnesses Say Gunman Acted Calm During Mass Shooting At San Diego Pool Party

Peter Selis opened fire on a predominantly African-American crowd on Sunday (April 30), killing one woman. 

More details have come to light about a shooting at a San Diego apartment complex that left one woman dead and multiple people injured.

The Los Angeles Times reports the shooting happened Sunday evening (April 30) in the University City area at the La Jolla Crossroads Apartments on Judicial Drive. Police docs revealed gunman Peter Selis, 49, shot into a crowd of at least 30 people who were attending a pool party at the complex. As dozens fled the scene, Selis reportedly told the victims "You can either leave or you can stay here and die,” while looking relaxed with a beer in one hand and a loaded gun in the other.

“We got down, we closed the windows and then about a minute later, six or seven more shots, lots of screaming, lots of people screaming,” Lauren Seed, a witness who saw the shooting from her apartment window said. “From the screams, you could hear that somebody or multiple people were hit.” Police arrived on the scene shortly after the shooting with three firing at the gunman after he reportedly shot at the officers. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

In total, four black women, two black men and a Latino man were shot. Another man broke his arm while fleeing from gunfire. A woman was also pronounced dead.

“Our hearts go out to the victims,” Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said. “There’s a lot of work to be done.”

Witnesses who were at the pool party described the attendees as nice people who even offered Selis food just before he opened fire. “Six or seven minutes later it’s just pow, pow, pow, pow — out of nowhere,” Drew Phillips said. His friend was the host of the pool party. “...There was no indication that he was there to do evil.”

Selis was reportedly facing financial turmoil before the shooting with roughly $100,000 in medical and credit card debt and a bankruptcy filing in 2015. He was married with two children and stepson and worked as a car mechanic at the San Diego Ford dealership. His employment may have ended in 2013, but his photograph still remains on the company's website.

Police haven't determined a motive in the shooting.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Roy Rochlin

Kanye West Claims Drake Threatened Him And His Family

Things are growing more intense between Kanye West and Drake. Only hours after Kanye's first rant, he hopped back on Twitter on Dec. 13, for part two. Only this time, Ye alleged that Drake threatened him.

In the second part of his Twitter rant, Kanye claimed that his phone call with Drizzy took a violent turn. "Drake called trying to threatened me," he wrote. "So Drake if anything happens to me or anyone from my family you are the first suspect. So cut the tough talk."

It's unclear what Drake may have said to Kanye, but the Kids See Ghosts artist definitely seemed to be bothered by the situation.

Ye also touched on their previous feud, in which he claimed Drake was taunting him in public, but would refuse to sit down and hash out their differences. "How you gone text Kris but not speak to me," he said, referencing his mother-in-law Kris Jenner.

As previously mentioned, Kanye's latest tirade comes shortly after the rapper put Drake on blast for not returning his phone calls. He stopped tweeting for a short period when he announced that Drake had finally given him a call.

While Kanye stated that he would not physically harm Drake like "MTV boxing," he did say that he would not be bullied or threatened by him any longer. "You trying to be a bully. I never been bullied in my life and I never will be," he said. "That’s why I made it this far in a pink polo."

Check out Kanye's Twitter rant below.

Drake called trying to threatened me

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

So drake if anything happens to me or anyone from my family you are the first suspect So cut the tough talk

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

It just doesn’t sit right on my spirit

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

He be texting people I know like it’s cool But won’t sit and talk with me

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

There would never be a drake without a Kanye west so never come out your mouth with a threat

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

We both too high profile for you to actually do something to me

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

You [email protected] people with mental health issues

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

You say all this shut to me but won’t say none of that to J prince

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

Talk tough to real gangsters bro

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

You trying to be a bully. I never been bullied in my life and I never will be. That’s why I made it this far in a pink polo

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

I’m up for talking. We need to show all of these fans that black men [email protected] without someone ending up dead or in jail

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

We need to show the world that we will speak without someone ending up dead or in jail

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

How you gone text Kriss but not speak to me

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

Drake I’m not going to physically fight you like it’s MTV boxing

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

Nobody scared of anything

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

Leave me and my family alone bro

— ye (@kanyewest) December 14, 2018

Continue Reading
Jamie McCarthy

Pharrell And Robin Thicke To Pay $5 Million In "Blurred Lines" Lawsuit

Marvin Gaye's estate has finally settled its lawsuit against Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke regarding their 2013 hit single "Blurred Lines." A federal judge reportedly ordered the duo to fork over nearly $5 million in damages to the Gaye family, Billboard reports.

According to a ruling from Judge John A. Kronstadt, Thicke, Williams and William's company More Water From Nazareth Publishing Inc. will each have to pay $2,848,846.50 in damages. Thicke will have to pay an additional $1,768,191.88 and Williams and his publishing company will pay another $357,630.96 to the Gaye family in separate payments regarding their lawsuit. In total, the damages amount to $4,983,766.85.

The Gaye estate is also entitled to receive interest on the damages against each party and will receive a  running royalty of half the "Blurred Lines" revenue.

As previously reported, Marvin Gaye's estate filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Williams and Thicke back in 2013. They claimed their single sampled Gaye's 1977 hit "Got to Give It Up" without permission. Both Williams and Thicke's legal team attempted to get the case thrown out but were denied an appeal in Mar. 2018.

Continue Reading
John Phillips

Oprah Responds To Viral Video Of Her Eating Unseasoned Chicken

A hilarious old video of Oprah Winfrey making an uncomfortable face as she dives into a piece of unseasoned chicken has been circulating the Internet all week. While these sort of silly videos wouldn't usually garner a response from the billionaire, Oprah surprised everyone when she shared a video explaining the chicken-eating experience and her initial reaction.

To give you some context, the video is a clip from The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2006, in which O invited her guest Anna Ginsberg to make her award-winning chicken dish. After one bite, it became clear that Oprah wasn't too pleased with the chicken's bland taste. She even asked at the time if she could add a little seasoning.

I often think about the time Oprah did a cooking segment with a woman whose chicken recipe won $1 million, and Oprah's jaw dropped when she tasted it and realized the lady didn't even add seasoning pic.twitter.com/rfs7PS1Jc3

— Spencer Althouse (@SpencerAlthouse) December 9, 2018

Now, more than 10 years later, Oprah is setting the record straight. In her new video posted on Instagram on Thursday (Dec. 13), she noted that she likes to provide a pleasurable experience for her guests but also live in her truth. On that particular day, she was presented with a dilemma. "I was having a moment of trying to decide: Do I want her to have a great time? What is my real moment of truth?" she said. "Because the truth for me was that I'm used to having salt and pepper on my chicken. That's just the truth...That's what I was thinking, 'This chicken needs some salt and pepper.'"

So that's that; Oprah has spoken. She may have played it off at the time, but like many others, she would prefer her chicken with seasoning.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Over the weekend, a 2006 video of @oprah tasting an *interesting* chicken dish made its rounds online. We asked the O of O, what REALLY went through her mind as the cameras were on her—and she answered. Swipe left if you haven’t seen the hysterical video! #tbt

A post shared by O, The Oprah Magazine (@oprahmagazine) on Dec 13, 2018 at 7:13am PST

Continue Reading

Top Stories