BIGGIE-MURAL-PRESERVED-1496154045
Instagram/ @SpreadArtNYC

The Notorious B.I.G. Mural In Brooklyn To Be Preserved After Backlash

Big Poppa is here to stay.

A Brooklyn landlord faced backlash for announcing he would be destroying a building featuring a mural of legendary rapper The Notorious B.I.G. in order to renovate it. After a change of heart, fans of the mural will still be able to see Big Poppa's image on the building.

Samuel Berkowitz, the landlord, turned down $5,000 from the mural's artists, Naoufal “Rocko” Alaoui and Scott "Zimer" Zimmerman from Spread Art NYC, to keep the building in tact so that the art wouldn't be gone forever. Instead, Berkowitz asked them for a monthly rental fee of $1,250 to keep the mural up. A petition was started to raise money to save the mural and eventually have it turned into a landmark.

"By landmarking the building the landlord is unable to make any changes to the facade without permission from the Landmarks and Preservation Commission," the petition said.

“To be honest, he just didn’t know how important Biggie is to Brooklyn,” said Alaoui of the landlord's initial decision to get rid of the mural. “He’s not a bad guy. A lot of people offered to help financially, but he said he don’t need the money, just the respect of his neighbors.”

Alaoui and Zimmerman painted the mural in 2015, and it can be seen on Bedford Avenue and Quincy Street in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area of the borough.

Thank you Brooklyn! And a very very special thanks to the landlords for recognizing the importance of Biggie in this neighborhood! First we would like to thank both the Mayor's and congressman Jeffries offices for reaching out and offering all kinds of support to keep this iconic mural where it is! We also would like to thank every single local organization for coming forward with their resources . We would like to thank all the companies for offering financial support. ATLANTA has got so much love for Biggie! Thank you TI @troubleman31 for having your team contact us on a daily basis to get the updates. Special thanks to Mr. Guevara from @brooklynnets for the daily phone calls to make sure we get all the needed resources. We would like to thank all of you who have stood besides us! PLEASE if you see the landlords, THANK them for this generous gift to our community!! ! Happy Belated Birthday, King!!! 🎂@tyanna810 @cjordanwallace @therealfaithevans #spreadloveitsthebrooklynway #spreadartnyc #bedfordandquincy #20bigyears #biggiemural #biggie #biggiesmalls

A post shared by Spread Art NYC (@spreadartnyc) on

From the Web

More on Vibe

50 Cent offers his condolences to a deceased member of the 'Power' crew.
Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images

Rest In 'Power': Crew Member For 50 Cent's Show Killed On Set

50 Cent offered his condolences to the loved ones of Pedro Jimenez, a crew member who was killed on the set of his hit STARZ show, Power, earlier this morning. (Monday, Dec. 10).

"I just learned we lost Pedro Jimenez, a member of the Power production team early this morning," wrote the media mogul in an Instagram post, which accompanied a black screen. "My prayers and condolences are with the entire Jimenez family."

According to TMZ, "Pedro Jimenez was setting up parking cones for a location shoot in Brooklyn around 4:20 AM when he was struck by a 2006 Ford Explorer. Police responded and Pedro was transported to a Brooklyn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."

Jimenez was just 63 years old, and had reportedly worked on the series since its debut in 2014. Reports state that investigators have spoken with the 64-year-old driver of the vehicle that struck Mr. Jimenez, who is also a crew member on the show. No arrests have been made.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

I just learned we lost Pedro Jimenez, a member of the Power production team early this morning. My prayers and condolences are with the entire Jimenez family.

A post shared by 50 Cent (@50cent) on Dec 10, 2018 at 9:29am PST

READ MORE: 50 Cent Reportedly Has A ‘Power’ Prequel In The Works

Continue Reading
Nicki Minaj poses in the winner's room at the 2018 EMA's.
Getty Images

Nicki Minaj Comments On Reports That Boyfriend Is Convicted Sex Offender

According to multiple reports, Nicki Minaj’s new arm candy has a very muddy past and a controversial label attached to him.

Per TMZ, Kenneth Petty is reportedly a registered sex offender, whose rap sheet “includes convictions for manslaughter and attempted rape.”

TMZ writes that Petty, 40, “was convicted of first-degree attempted rape in April 1995.” Prosecutors state that he used a sharp object when he tried to force the young woman to have sex with him, and he served almost four years in New York state prison.

The Queen rapper confirmed the allegations, responding to a comment on Instagram stating that he was 15 and in a relationship with the reported victim. Her comments have since been turned off.

“Go awf, internet,” she wrote. “Y’all can't run my life. Y'all can't even run y'all own life. Thank you boo."

“Years after getting out of the pen, Petty was convicted of first-degree manslaughter, and served another 7 years for shooting a man. He was released in 2013,” the site continues.

Earlier this year, Minaj worked with embattled musician Tekashi 6ix9ine, who will reportedly be re-sentenced in a child sexual misconduct case. Her older brother Jelani Maraj was also found guilty of predatory sexual assault in late-2017.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happens?... it’s no secret... that the both of us... are running out of time...🎀🎈🥳♥️

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 9, 2018 at 4:46pm PST

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happens?... it’s no secret... that the both of us... are running out of time...🎀🎈🥳♥️

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 9, 2018 at 4:46pm PST

READ MORE: Nicki Minaj Sends Prayers To Tekashi 6ix9ine

Continue Reading
Meek Mill garnered his first top 10 hit this week.
Getty Images

Meek Mill's "Going Bad" Earns Him His First Billboard Top 10 Song

Meek Mill just scored his first top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart. His track “Going Bad” featuring former nemesis Drake, which can be found on the Philly native’s recent album Championships, entered the coveted chart at No. 6.

The song, which was produced by Westen Weiss and Wheezy, is not only Meek’s first top 10 single, but Drake’s 33rd top 10 single in his career.

Last week, Meek stopped by Funk Flex’s Hot 97 radio show to discuss the newly-repaired relationship with the OVO boy, which went sour over ghostwriting claims by Meek in 2015.

"We apologized to each other… ‘I apologize my ni**a,'" Meek told Flex about his conversation with Drizzy. After the ghostwriting claims sent via Twitter made the rounds, diss tracks were sent back and forth between the collaborators. Drake’s shots fired were heard on the song “Back To Back,” which inspired memes galore and also gained Drake a Grammy nomination.

"That’s just the new wave [apologies],” Meek continued on Funk Flex’s show. “We gotta piece it up, but still keep everything treacherous, it’s the rap game. But you know, bring a little love and good energy into the building."

Championships is expected to top this week’s Billboard 200 Albums Chart, however, a discrepancy has held up this week’s charts. No further explanation into the discrepancy has been detailed.

"Going Bad" is @MeekMill's first and @Drake's 33rd top 10 single on the Hot 100.

— chart data (@chartdata) December 10, 2018

READ MORE: Full Circle: Meek Mill Freestyles Over Drake's 'Back To Back'

Continue Reading

Top Stories