Getty Images

Spain Attacks Could Have Been Deadlier Due To Failed Explosives

14 were killed. 

In the wake of the horrific terror attacks in Spain this week, it has been revealed that things could have been much worse for the people of Barcelona and Cambrils as explosives were found in a house in Alcanar.

CNN reports that hours prior to the van attacks that killed 14 people across Spain, a house in Alcanar (which is south of Barcelona) was destroyed in a blast due to some explosives that were left behind. Police officials stated the culprits planned on causing “greater devastation”, but were thwarted because the explosive detonated prematurely.

READ: Terrorist Attack Confirmed In Barcelona

Catalan police chief Jose Lluis Trapero told members of the media that local authorities "are working on the hypothesis that these attacks were being prepared in that house."

"They were trying to make explosives out of butane gas among other things," he said the media. Trapero reportedly believes that the explosion was caused by an "accident" inside the house.

An unnamed Spanish national was killed in the explosion with another person inside the house is seriously injured. Six other civilians suffered injuries from the explosion as well.

Because of the surprise detonation, it was revealed that could have been a more sinister plot by the unknown perpetrators to cause more terroristic acts in Cambrils, Barcelona, and possibly many other locations while authorities were completely unaware.

READ: Charlottesville Terrorist James Alex Fields Jr. Denied Bond At First Court Hearing 

Sadly, even though more lives were saved, the perpetrators still carried out the frightening vehicle attacks in the two cities.

So far, four people between the ages of 21 and 34 have been arrested in both Alcanar and Ripoli. One of them was Spanish while three of the captured suspects were citizens of Morocco. The ISIS media wing, Amaq recently claimed that the attackers were "soldiers of the Islamic State," but did not overtly claim responsibility for it.

In Barcelona, 13 people were killed, 17 were critically injured, and 120 civilians were harmed as a result of the van attack. In Cambrils, five attackers in an Audi A3 killed one woman, injured six, and critically injured seven more people. The five men were all killed in a shootout with police.

From the Web

More on Vibe

Broward's Sheriff's office

Rising Florida Rapper YNW Melly Charged With Killing His Two Friends

Rising Florida rapper YNW Melly has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of his friends and roommates.

According to reports, Melly, real name Jamell Demons, is being held without bail in connection to the October 2018 shooting of fellow rappers Anthony Williams, 21, and Christopher Thomas Jr., 19. Both were shot multiple times at about 4:30 AM October 26 and later pronounced dead at Memorial Hospital Miramar.

Melly was the second person arrested in connection with the double-homicide, according to Miramar police. Cortlen Henry, 20, was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. In January, Henry was arrested in Houston and extradited to Fort Lauderdale where he was taken into police custody.

Wednesday evening (Feb. 13) it was revealed via Melly's Instagram account he turned himself into police.

Per a Miramar new release, Henry and Demons attempted to cover up the murder as a drive-by shooting. However, after investigators spoke to Henry, they noticed his recollection of events didn't match up with the preliminary evidence. Demons, Thomas and Henry were all roommates and shared a two-story home in Miramar.

Henry was reportedly the driver while Demons shot both men. Demons was promoting his album, We All Shine, which features the certified gold track “Murder on my Mind.”

Continue Reading
Antonio Perez

Jason Van Dyke Reportedly Attacked In Federal Prison

Jason Van Dyke, the former Chicago police officer who shot Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014, was reportedly attacked shortly after being transferred to a Connecticut facility. According to the Chicago Tribune, Van Dyke was beaten inside his prison cell.

“We are petrified and very worried about Jason’s safety,” Van Dyke's wife Tiffany said in an emailed statement to reporters. “Jason wants to serve his time and does not want any trouble. We are hoping prison officials will take quick action to rectify this situation.”

Tiffany Van Dyke and her attorney allege they didn't know Jason was being transferred from Illinois to the Danbury Federal Correctional Institution. Van Dyke was found guilty of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery and was sentenced to seven years in prison. Reportedly, he could be released in as little as three.

The state attorney general and special prosecutors on Monday announced they filed a petition with the Illinois Supreme Court to challenge Van Dyke's sentence, which was handed down by Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan.

Despite being found guilty of 16 counts of aggravated battery--one count for each time Van Dyke shot the teen--he wasn't charged for it. Each count carries a minimum of six years in jail. When combined Van Dyke could've faced 96 years in prison.

After Van Dyke's conviction but prior to his sentencing, he was held in isolation at a Quad Cities-area jail. The decision was part of a Cook County arrangement for high-profile, dangerous or inmates cooperating with authorities in cases.

Continue Reading
Sergei Bobylev

Man Accused Of Murdering Wife Tells Cops "I Guess I Don't Have To Worry About A Divorce Now"

A Minnesota man accused of murdering his wife showed no remorse when taken into custody by local police. According to reports, Matthew Lynn Jansen reportedly made a joke about the fatality.

"I guess I don’t have to worry about a divorce now,” the 46-year-old quipped.

During Thanksgiving 2018, Jansen's estranged wife Mary Jo filed for divorce and while the proceeding was still pending, the couple still lived together. The 46-year-old later decided to move out and was expected to leave their house on Saturday.

According to a complaint, an "incident" occurred in December, which prompted other family members to remove the firearms from the home.

Friday night (Feb. 8) Jansen called 911 saying he shot his wife “I can’t believe I did it," Jansen reportedly said to 911 operators.

Investigators later searching the Jansen resident instructed him to exit the house without the weapon and found a receipt for a Smith & Wesson purchased earlier in February. An empty Smith & Wesson .44 was found on the steps of the home. An empty handgun was found in Jansen's truck.

Mary Jo's body was found in the couple's bedroom with gunshot wounds to her head and neck. Jansen will appear in court on March 18.

Continue Reading

Top Stories