Man Attacked By Nazis At Charlottesville Riots Recalls Harrowing Incident

"You don’t know racism until you look a KKK member’s hatred in the eye.”

Deandre Harris has received an overwhelming amount of support from people across the country after he was beaten by a group of white supremacists. The incident, which took place in Charlottesville, V.A. during the “Unite The Right” rally on Saturday (Aug. 12), didn't shatter his spirit.

Speaking with reporters just hours after coming into contact with Nazis and KKK members, the aspiring musician shared his thoughts on the now-viral photo of his injuries and what led him to the protest. "Me and about five of my friends were out protesting. We thought [the racists] left, but at one point they came back," he explained to The Root. "Everyone was exchanging words with the group, but then the KKK and white supremacists just rushed us."

Journalist Chuck Modi caught a piece of the incident while filming the Nazi protest and counter protests (the video above). Harris went on to tell Hollywood Unlocked the rally was the first protest he ever attended. The 20-year-old moved to Charlottesville from Suffolk two years ago for a job as an Instructional Assistant for a special education program at a local high school. After he was brought to safety by friends and supporters, photographer Ian Frank captured a photo of Harris' injuries.

He was then taken to the hospital, where he was treated for a concussion, an ulnar fracture, a laceration on his right eyebrow, a chipped tooth and bruises to his knees and elbows. Harris says he doesn't regret going to the rally to counter protest because it clarified his commitment to civil rights. “It was a good experience to go out there and see the real hatred and racism that exist out here," he said. "People say they know racism, but you don’t know racism until you look a KKK member’s hatred in the eye.”

Harris is currently resting but plans to take legal action against the city of Charlottesville. “I’m now an active member of the Black Lives Matter movement," he said. "If they [white nationalists] come back I will be there. The police and KKK are together. The police weren’t doing nothing out there today. This is where I call home. And seeing what I saw today, is not somewhere I want to call home.” Harris' GoFundMe for his medical bills also shows strength in numbers. In 23 hours, the fundraiser exceeded the $50K goal by hitting just over $106K.

From the Web

More on Vibe

50 Cent offers his condolences to a deceased member of the 'Power' crew.
Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images

Rest In 'Power': Crew Member For 50 Cent's Show Killed On Set

50 Cent offered his condolences to the loved ones of Pedro Jimenez, a crew member who was killed on the set of his hit STARZ show, Power, earlier this morning. (Monday, Dec. 10).

"I just learned we lost Pedro Jimenez, a member of the Power production team early this morning," wrote the media mogul in an Instagram post, which accompanied a black screen. "My prayers and condolences are with the entire Jimenez family."

According to TMZ, "Pedro Jimenez was setting up parking cones for a location shoot in Brooklyn around 4:20 AM when he was struck by a 2006 Ford Explorer. Police responded and Pedro was transported to a Brooklyn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."

Jimenez was just 63 years old, and had reportedly worked on the series since its debut in 2014. Reports state that investigators have spoken with the 64-year-old driver of the vehicle that struck Mr. Jimenez, who is also a crew member on the show. No arrests have been made.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

I just learned we lost Pedro Jimenez, a member of the Power production team early this morning. My prayers and condolences are with the entire Jimenez family.

A post shared by 50 Cent (@50cent) on Dec 10, 2018 at 9:29am PST

READ MORE: 50 Cent Reportedly Has A ‘Power’ Prequel In The Works

Continue Reading
Nicki Minaj poses in the winner's room at the 2018 EMA's.
Getty Images

Nicki Minaj Comments On Reports That Boyfriend Is Convicted Sex Offender

According to multiple reports, Nicki Minaj’s new arm candy has a very muddy past and a controversial label attached to him.

Per TMZ, Kenneth Petty is reportedly a registered sex offender, whose rap sheet “includes convictions for manslaughter and attempted rape.”

TMZ writes that Petty, 40, “was convicted of first-degree attempted rape in April 1995.” Prosecutors state that he used a sharp object when he tried to force the young woman to have sex with him, and he served almost four years in New York state prison.

The Queen rapper confirmed the allegations, responding to a comment on Instagram stating that he was 15 and in a relationship with the reported victim. Her comments have since been turned off.

“Go awf, internet,” she wrote. “Y’all can't run my life. Y'all can't even run y'all own life. Thank you boo."

“Years after getting out of the pen, Petty was convicted of first-degree manslaughter, and served another 7 years for shooting a man. He was released in 2013,” the site continues.

Earlier this year, Minaj worked with embattled musician Tekashi 6ix9ine, who will reportedly be re-sentenced in a child sexual misconduct case. Her older brother Jelani Maraj was also found guilty of predatory sexual assault in late-2017.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happens?... it’s no secret... that the both of us... are running out of time...🎀🎈🥳♥️

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 9, 2018 at 4:46pm PST

 

View this post on Instagram

 

Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happens?... it’s no secret... that the both of us... are running out of time...🎀🎈🥳♥️

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on Dec 9, 2018 at 4:46pm PST

READ MORE: Nicki Minaj Sends Prayers To Tekashi 6ix9ine

Continue Reading
Meek Mill garnered his first top 10 hit this week.
Getty Images

Meek Mill's "Going Bad" Earns Him His First Billboard Top 10 Song

Meek Mill just scored his first top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart. His track “Going Bad” featuring former nemesis Drake, which can be found on the Philly native’s recent album Championships, entered the coveted chart at No. 6.

The song, which was produced by Westen Weiss and Wheezy, is not only Meek’s first top 10 single, but Drake’s 33rd top 10 single in his career.

Last week, Meek stopped by Funk Flex’s Hot 97 radio show to discuss the newly-repaired relationship with the OVO boy, which went sour over ghostwriting claims by Meek in 2015.

"We apologized to each other… ‘I apologize my ni**a,'" Meek told Flex about his conversation with Drizzy. After the ghostwriting claims sent via Twitter made the rounds, diss tracks were sent back and forth between the collaborators. Drake’s shots fired were heard on the song “Back To Back,” which inspired memes galore and also gained Drake a Grammy nomination.

"That’s just the new wave [apologies],” Meek continued on Funk Flex’s show. “We gotta piece it up, but still keep everything treacherous, it’s the rap game. But you know, bring a little love and good energy into the building."

Championships is expected to top this week’s Billboard 200 Albums Chart, however, a discrepancy has held up this week’s charts. No further explanation into the discrepancy has been detailed.

"Going Bad" is @MeekMill's first and @Drake's 33rd top 10 single on the Hot 100.

— chart data (@chartdata) December 10, 2018

READ MORE: Full Circle: Meek Mill Freestyles Over Drake's 'Back To Back'

Continue Reading

Top Stories